Jackin’ Pop: Not Your Father’s Pazz & Jop Poll
posted by January 6 at 9:02 PMon
Some 500 critics have voted for what they think are the most important/best releases and artists of 2006, and the results are sitting ugly on Idolator, Gawker’s music webzine. The results (through about the top 50s, anyway) strike me as predictable, but it’s instructive to scan all the lists in their entirety to see the broad range of music floating critics’ boats.
Jackin’ Pop organizer Michaelangelo Matos explains the impetus for the new poll:
The Jackin’ Pop Critics Poll was inspired by the Village Voice’s long-standing Pazz & Jop Critics Poll. Note the names’ resemblance, which began with an email joke from a writer about our “P&J-jack-move.” The idea that we’re jacking off about pop is somewhere in there, too. (The nerve-wracked dancing of early Chicago house-music fans was of less consideration, but it was nice when a couple friends pointed it out anyway.) And while it does feel good to give this kind of thing a home that isn’t run by people who hate everything the Voice spent a half-century standing for, and who fired Robert Christgau, who began Pazz & Jop in the first place, it hardly makes us saints—a jack move is a jack move.
The top 10 albums:
1. TV on the Radio - Return to Cookie Mountain (1338 points in 125 votes)
2. Ghostface Killah - Fishscale (1247 points in 118 votes)
3. The Hold Steady - Boys and Girls in America (1073 points in 95 votes)
4. Clipse - Hell Hath No Fury (1057 points in 102 votes)
5. Joanna Newsom - Ys (883 points in 84 votes)
6. Bob Dylan - Modern Times (749 points in 70 votes)
7. Gnarls Barkley - St. Elsewhere (623 points in 61 votes)
8. The Knife - Silent Shout (607 points in 56 votes)
9. Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood (588 points in 58 votes)
10. Belle & Sebastian - The Life Pursuit (586 points in 54 votes)
The top 10 tracks:
1. Gnarls Barkley - Crazy (169 votes)
2. T.I. - What You Know (89 votes)
3. Justin Timberlake ft. T.I. - My Love (79 votes)
4. Christina Aguilera - Ain’t No Other Man (51 votes)
5. TV on the Radio - Wolf Like Me (49 votes)
6. Nelly Furtado ft. Timbaland - Promiscuous (45 votes)
7. Justin Timberlake - SexyBack (35 votes)
7. The Raconteurs - Steady, as She Goes (35 votes)
8. Hot Chip - Over and Over (33 votes) 1 for Solid Groove Remix
10. Lupe Fiasco - Kick, Push (32 votes)
10. Peter, Bjorn & John - Young Folks (32 votes)
You can access my ballot and those from Stranger writers Eric Grandy, Sean Nelson, Mairead Case, and Sam Mickens here.
Commence sniping or huzzahing NOW. Or, list your own damned tops 10s, and shine while you can.
[Illos by Jess Harvell]