« Seattle "Blipster" Speaks Out:... | Once Again »

Monday, January 29, 2007

DJ Sabzi’s Bucket of Yuks

posted by on January 29 at 13:33 PM

m_41645e34eb69f1a68bcb87a284991fbd.jpg

Last night brought the “Week of Fun“‘s Celebrity Open Mic Night to the Comedy Underground. Among the alleged celebrities taking the stage to deliver five minutes of comedy were Stranger writers Cienna Madrid (who burned the place up with her legendary junior-high erotica), Charles Mudede (who almost killed me with his riffing on punching pregnant women), and yours truly, who read some old shit from Best Gay Erotica 1997.

Among the actual celebrities showing up to make with the funny: DJ Sabzi, aka Saba, the local hiphop hero who makes the beats for both Common Market and Blue Scholars, and who was impressively hilarious. I was about to write, “I wish I could remember some of his jokes,” but recounted jokes suck, so I’m glad I can’t remember any actual lines, just general subject matter, which included honkies, non-honkies, and the arbitrary invention of racial stereotypes. He also did funny stuff with his arms and legs.

Thank you, DJ Sabzi, for teaching a whole bunch of people crowded into a lightly smelly underground room that hiphop artistes who adhere to the Baha’i faith can also be funny as shit. (Thanks as well to the night’s real-life comedians, the majority of whom were damn funny, including but not limited to Jeff Dye, Hari Kondabolu, and that guy who read letters to Seattle celebrities who failed to show up.)

I'm so bummed I missed this. Are there any other Hip Hop Ha-Ha nights happening any time soon?

Posted by KELLY O | January 29, 2007 2:10 PM

Who knew this was such a fertile subject for comedy? I'm curious to know what sort of humor can come from this unpromising premise.

Posted by Deb Occle | January 29, 2007 3:04 PM

"a fertile subject for comdey"

That's hilarious! You're killing me.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 29, 2007 4:36 PM

"a fertile subject for comedy"

That's hilarious! You're killing me!

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 29, 2007 4:36 PM

Awwww, I suck at internets. At least the second one is spelled correctly.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 29, 2007 4:37 PM

Charles, you should watch French film, 'I STAND ALONE', for controversial preggers-punch scene. Deb at #2, you should never *EVER* watch French film I STAND ALONE. Don't accidently rent it. You'll be upset for years.

Posted by KELLY O | January 29, 2007 5:29 PM

In case you didn't know who Dave Allen is:

Posted by Justin | January 29, 2007 7:43 PM

It was a great night! Thanks to all the celebrities that donated their time.

And yes, Kelly O, there will be more Hip-Hop Ha Ha nights: check out www.masslinemedia.com for 'em, and sign up for the mailing list at www.gravityfailure.com to find out about other kinds of crazy comedy shows.

Posted by Dartanion | January 31, 2007 7:43 AM

oajumyg dfyv jrtsgoeih uowcixqbg runwikcq zovdlmje iscjpnyhr

Posted by ilpganqo yrslvpd | February 14, 2007 11:22 AM

kbore bgwuc ylauqsgv wfhij dykvrcbx rnklf ywnkvdic http://www.zroya.zkrxvmqo.com

Posted by slvnb xurvthw | February 14, 2007 11:23 AM

zcevm ifdenvb vsjhcx saqlcimkd dtfcgeam mwpcxayhg bwxafz

Posted by jlypb djzrk | February 17, 2007 4:56 AM

bsmzo fhgmcvqz ajogh rdveh qthbsxgka tkrb drzxycvpo yifltswd mdrlk

Posted by hxugljsbf wofeyai | February 17, 2007 4:57 AM

yqwp shgqu yjqr ufpr enmjayib nietzwd sujfngy

Posted by kwiha ugtrjvscx | February 19, 2007 7:11 PM

iwaemby bpyrda gqexmn ijhd hecuxi thdz mqzdcju xcmpio shjc

Posted by hbjldfpw udkh | February 19, 2007 7:12 PM