« Rainbows, Clouds, and Naked, T... | Original Blipsters »

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

The Most Dramatic Musical Experience Ever

posted by on January 31 at 13:57 PM

This is Drumscape. A drumming simulator. It’s karaoke for the drums. You pick out the song, and play to it.

drumscape2.jpg

The ‘Sales Info’ on the brochure touts the reasons why you need Drumscape in your arcade:

How will you deal with new legislation banning gun games?
How many shooting, fighting, racing games do you need?
How many sports games do you have?
How many of your games are “hip”, non-violent, and educational?
Ready for something totally new?
A profitable alternative to gun games.

Is there really legislation banning gun games? Whatever happened to Frogger? You can’t beat Frogger. There are no guns in Frogger.

More from the brochure:

“Enter the Drumscape, representing the most dramatic musical experience ever available to the amusement marketplace. Our US and soon-to-be international patents insure that Drumscape will be pleasing crowds the world over for a long, long time. And speaking of crowds, ask the EXPERTS just how big the Drumscape’s “draw factor” is. It’s pretty typical to find a crowd gathered around the unit, watching and listening to the next “Ringo Starr” audition for the world.”

Ringo Starr?

You want to boost your arcade’s profits? Put in a Frogger.

Frogger was sweet. I was more into Dig Dug.

Trent, I'm surprised you are not praising the game. I would think you would love it.

Posted by Al | January 31, 2007 2:25 PM

What about that Aerosmith video game where your gun shoots CDs? No way that concept will ever be dated in at least two different ways.

Posted by Eric Grandy | January 31, 2007 2:33 PM

Is it a game? I don't think it's a game.

I love it, I wish I had one.

I'd jam with Bananarama and Slayer, all day long. Then Rush, but, I'd probably be dejected after trying to play YYZ.

Posted by trent moorman | January 31, 2007 2:39 PM

I don't know, I need a lot of shooting and fighting games.

Posted by Mamma | January 31, 2007 2:46 PM

Tron is by far the greatest video game ever made.

Posted by HH | January 31, 2007 2:52 PM

So this game (yes, it's a game - you get points for how closely you hit the right "drum" in time to the music) came out in 1999. Since then, Japanese video game maker Konami has brought out their own, much more successful arcade drum game. Drummania has had 4 different versions since Drumscape came out.

As for a ban on gun games, I couldn't find anything about it over at the Entertainment Consumers Association (a video game consumer advocacy group) http://www.theeca.com/video_game_regulations.htm
The ECA has a lot of information on currently proposed legislation at both the federal and state level, and they list nothing resembling a ban on gun games. Seeing how the most recent information on Drumscape's website with an actual date is from the year 2000, I'm guessing that if there was such proposed legislation, it has long since been dropped.

Posted by Lark Hawk | January 31, 2007 3:50 PM

ROBOTRON: 2084

Posted by Paulus | January 31, 2007 3:58 PM

i'm pretty sure they've got that game at gameworks, right near all the dance dance revolution downstairs. not that i spend a lot of time there or anything...

Posted by donte | February 1, 2007 12:17 PM

It's been a while, but I remember playing something similar at Jilian's off Mercer. May not be the exact same game, but I was definitely rockin' the stix

Posted by Faux Show | February 1, 2007 2:28 PM