« Mon Frere Video | Warm as Ice Storm 07 and Vinta... »

Friday, January 12, 2007

The Young Ones

posted by on January 12 at 12:05 PM

In last week’s paper we profiled 10 up and coming bands that we think are going to be hot shit in 2007. The list was tough to cut down, there are a lot of great bands and musicians out there right now, but we narrowed it down to Kay Kay and His Weathered Underground, Lesbian, Dyme Def, Night Canopy, Pleasureboaters, Grand Hallway, Bow & Arrow, Arthur & Yu, Nazca Lines, and the Heavy Hearts. We called them the Young Ones, and they’re all pretty fuckin’ great.

Today we got this letter about the feature:

I love that there was an article about the up and coming bands in Seattle. There are so many in this area that it’s great to recognize them. I feel that there is a gap in this though… I know that you have people where their job is to research and find these new bands but what about asking your readers? Who knows you may find out about this tiny band that supposedly no one has ever heard of… I know I have a couple up my sleeves. Just a thought because I would like to see these guys recognized as well.

Good point.

We told you who we think should rule 2007, but I want to know, what new local bands are you excited about right now?

The Moondoggies
Red Sea Sharks

Posted by Jeff | January 12, 2007 12:16 PM

The Hands (featured in the Seattle Weekly this week also playing this Saturday).
A Gun that Shoots Knives plays in Seattle all the time and is highly entertaining. I hear they have an album coming out later this year. Stay till the end of their show to see something magnificent.
Man Plus, who has been getting noticed a bit on KEXP, are also fun.

Posted by josh | January 12, 2007 12:30 PM

Fellow (Young band from the Eastside, very fast and grindy. Might tickle your fancy if you like the Locust. The guitar player from Paris in Arms is in this band.)

Enforcer (Crusty, slightly doom-y punk band. If you're into His Hero is Gone, Dystopia, and Dropdead, you might dig them.)

Enemy Camp (Heavy hardcore. Like Botch, Trial, maybe a little Deadguy.)

Posted by Erik R | January 12, 2007 12:33 PM

head like a kite

Posted by graig markel | January 12, 2007 12:39 PM

Iron Maiden

Posted by HH | January 12, 2007 1:31 PM

In The Empty City (saw them at el corazon in December, high energy with kind of indie rock/80's sound)

Posted by David K | January 12, 2007 1:35 PM
Posted by segal | January 12, 2007 2:10 PM

Dialing In - A one-woman wall of noise that resembles what might result if Terry Riley decided to recreate the sound of My Bloody Valentine circa Loveless. Segal actually made somewhat brief mention of her in an article published last year.

As for others:
Bonus - ultra-minimal electronic drone,
Nudity - space-rock from Olympia,
Wolves in the Throne Room - epic black metal, also from Olympia,
Du Hexen Hase - Krautrock-ish psychedelic drone

Posted by R | January 12, 2007 2:38 PM

I thought Bonus (or at least Scott Goodwin) had moved to Portland. No?

Posted by segal | January 12, 2007 2:40 PM

Well, and there you go - Segal beat me to the punch with Dialing In. Damn this slow connection.

Posted by R | January 12, 2007 2:40 PM

Isn't every musician in Seattle rumored to have moved to Portland at some point? They may well have moved to Portland, especially as their sonic brethren Yellow Swans are there now also.

Posted by R | January 12, 2007 2:42 PM

Eastern Grip - they don't play out much but I had the pleasure of accidentally catching them a couple times. keep an eye out

Posted by jim | January 12, 2007 3:08 PM

fort hell.

tonight at the lobo with the earth-shattering black elk of portland.

your poster of the week. which must mean best show as well, obviously.

Posted by chops | January 12, 2007 3:12 PM

Thee Emergency, Ice Age Cobra, The Hands, A Gun That Shoots Knives, Speaker Speaker, Man Plus...
the list could go on and on!

Posted by Abbey | January 12, 2007 3:28 PM

Das Llamas, Snuggle, The suspicions

Posted by scojo | January 12, 2007 3:58 PM

The Fatigues
The Nemesis Theory
The Keeper who are playing Jan 27th with another band picked, Lesbian (this show will totally rule. Jules Maes!
Partman Parthorse
Cuchata

Posted by Andrew C. | January 12, 2007 4:18 PM

Nudity, ex-tight bros for way back when- right? they are really good. same with Wolves in the throne room. good calls!

Posted by Andrew C. | January 12, 2007 4:19 PM

Rope, Inc. finally have a record coming out. The Trucks make me tingle down there. Saw Diamond Cut Diamond the other day, and they surprised me with how tight they were - I look forward to seeing them again.

Posted by Tom C. | January 12, 2007 4:54 PM

erik r: my buddy bing plays for enforcer (and, a few other bands) yet, i still haven't seen them!? given your posts here, you seem like a cool dude. we should talk.

i'm kinda surprised I Am the Thorn wasn't in there, given their all-star status. i'm stoked on Same Sex Dictator, friends or not. glad to see Bow + Arrow and Pleasureboaters in there. The Last Slice of Butter are pretty rad too. Tho I haven't seen them yet, Natalie Portmans Shaved Head rule.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anymore I will come back.. :P

Posted by Jedd! | January 12, 2007 6:08 PM

Walrus Machine

Posted by levide | January 13, 2007 1:33 AM

Also, The Zulawski Girls

Posted by levide | January 13, 2007 2:41 AM

Black Breath. Add a slash and the name as one word onto myspacedotcom.

Posted by pony | January 13, 2007 3:11 PM

Off the top of my (imaginary) head)...

I second the vote for Night Canopy.

Patience Please (who just signed to Athens label Happy Happy Birthday to Me).

Man Plus.

Shake Some Action.

The Blakes, tho you all know that already.

Tea Cozies.

Ragazza.

Mighty Giant.

Nite Owls.

Voxy.

The Treatment.

A Gun that Shoots Knives.

Friday Mile.

I'm sure I'm forgetting tons, but that's who's coming to mind this snowy Saturday....

Posted by imaginary dana | January 13, 2007 4:40 PM

I am glad people mentioned Dialing In, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Nudity. I'm kind of mad at myself for forgetting to mention Iamthethorn. But of course I'm sure like all of Seattle's good heavy bands, the city will sleep on them as well.

Jedd! - Bing is my buddy too. In fact, we used to be in a band together (oops i stepped in some christ). Do I know you?

Posted by Erik R | January 13, 2007 5:35 PM

Dragstrip Riot--just recorded an awesome sophomore album with JACK ENDINO, packing shows and have as good a live set as ANY band in town right now

Keynote Speaker--great group of guys, great tunes, a little more rock with the new album--check 'em out

Posted by NateManning | January 14, 2007 3:23 AM

Welcome. They have an album of charming psych pop out on England's fantastic FatCat label titled Sirs.

Posted by segal | January 14, 2007 8:27 AM