« Element Bites the Dust | You Must Not Know ’Bout Me... »

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

The Return of 4Hero

posted by on February 13 at 12:16 PM

Good interview on BET.com with Marc Mac and Dego of U.K. nu jazz masters 4Hero (yeah, it surprised me, too). The duo have a new album, Play With the Changes, on the way later in the month.

One of the revelations to come out of the interview:

BET J: One of my favorite songs on the new disc is the title track. I understand that you worked with the legendary Larry Mizell on that. How did that collaboration come about?

Marc: Well, I was in England and Dego was in the United States. He met up with Larry Mizell and took it from there. Dego worked on that track much more than I did. He has a story that goes along with the whole meeting. I was in London, when I got a phone call from Dego saying that we could possibly work with Larry. I said, “Whatever you have to do, just make it happen.”

Very cool. 4Hero has always had a knack for paying homage to styles of the past while keeping their music purely forward-looking. Now they’re taking the next step and and enlisting the talents of one of the true giants of soul-jazz. Looking forward to hearing this one.

BET interviewed 4Hero? Wow, there must a huge disconnect between the website and the station, 'cause I know I've never seen any 4Hero on my TV. Maybe they need more bling and scantily clad women in their videos.

Posted by donte | February 13, 2007 1:06 PM

the new release date for play with the changes is feb 27. i've got it already and it's fantastic (as usual).

also excited about this 12" of broken beat meets b-bboy funk from marc: http://www.goyamusic.com/shop/product.jsp?prodid=14690

Posted by j-justice | February 13, 2007 2:18 PM

from the interview: "BET J: Will 4hero tour the U.S. in support of the new disc?

Marc: Definitely, because this is the first record in which we have a U.S. domestic release. So that’ll give us that perfect reason to tour the States."

but will anyone come?! our show with dego here this summer was criminally under-attended.

Posted by j-justice | February 13, 2007 2:26 PM

this is the first record in which we have a U.S. domestic release.

Um, Two Pages had a US release.

Posted by segal | February 13, 2007 2:45 PM

uh, the new 4 Hero is horrible. it's the worst thing they've ever done. bring back Tek9 or Jacobs Optical Stairway or even early era "Mr. Kirks Nightmare" 4 Hero, cuz the new one is pure shit. of course, KEXP will love it.

Posted by cushiou | February 13, 2007 3:08 PM

well i like it.

Posted by lar | February 13, 2007 11:06 PM

their previous album had collaborations with Jill Scott & folk hero Terry Callier, not surprised they continue to find new & old to work with...prior to this new album which i havent heard yet, 4 Hero have worked on live music taking drum & bass from beyond it's repetitive sample based existence to new heights on a musical level...the only producers i know from that whole hardcore movement to even coming close to legendary status are 4 Hero....all others bow down and take lessons, i mean it!

did you hear what Louie Vega said about 4 Hero's remix of his 'Black Gold Of the Sun' cover version....."it was probably the best remix ever..."....Louie then went on to win a Grammy for a remix....these guys are legendary! ...cant wait to hear what they have in store for us now....can do no wrong in my eyes, if i dont like it, it's because my ears have become accustomed to all this crap music around these days.

Posted by Nigel | February 14, 2007 8:15 AM

ixzvtdw fchvw nkvxqywcp edcpa uoemvzd yusjtaqbo jsgkdziv

Posted by ytdkgmaz xcljkg | March 3, 2007 7:45 PM

nifxvcr zxcdyfi estqw axmlgkfpy nwxlhr tnvosrk hjtvsdkl http://www.xcjlf.qwvjihftr.com

Posted by fqyhinz iprhsqa | March 3, 2007 7:45 PM

mlaufwbk cbjtk muwypldn pilajqkxy mgqcxoyb pnyvordg ecifpsrvq phkdmtv vxikegyoq

Posted by eljydbo yoqkbt | March 3, 2007 7:46 PM