« New Cannibal Ox album...canned... | Louvin in uniform »

Friday, March 30, 2007

Apples in Stereo @ Neumos 3/29

posted by on March 30 at 11:08 AM

I really need to stop going to see bands where all I know about them is how awesome they used to be. Not that I know that Apples in Stereo was ever good live—the albums I love of theirs came out when I was ten and thirteen, respectively—but I need to stop having this hope in my heart that they will only perform their old songs, and that they will perform them with my best interests in mind. This is never the case.

However, the Apples in Stereo show last night was basically enjoyable. All of their new songs really seem to play it safe in the music department, and I felt like I had heard these shiny pop songs a million times before. Any time they dipped into their older material, it felt like they were diving deep into the sonic underground, and it was marvelous. I didn’t hear anything off of Fun Trick Noisemaker or Her Wallpaper Reverie, but I left early because all of the new songs were not keeping my attention. What a bummer.

Confidential to the dumb blonde bitch in the back: That woman who sits in the back of Neumo’s recording all of the shows may be the nicest creature on the earth, and one of the only people I know who truly loves live music. And her setup is incredibly advanced and professional. Never touch it again, even if you think it’s funny to take her (incredibly expensive) microphone and try to pretend you are performing fellatio with it. You suck.

Ari,

I am sure you are speaking of Janie. She seems like such a nice lady. She gets in to shows free and records them all.

However, ever get a copy of one of her recordings? No. Never. Has anyone?

I speak from experience. I've asked her several times, and even stipulated "You can record the show, AS LONG AS I GET A COPY." To this day I have yet to EVER hear back from her. I've asked many other bands and they all say the same thing.

I hate that she hordes them and won't share what she's being given for free.

My $.02.

Posted by Performer | March 30, 2007 11:41 AM

I like Apples in Stereo, but I wish Olivia Tremor Control or even The Circulatory System would reunite and play Seattle.

Posted by elswinger | March 30, 2007 11:44 AM

the apples in stereo were great live. saw 'em with beulah opening back in the day. also saw them open for son volt the day tone soul evolution came out and then left. luckily i caught son volt a bunch of years later for free outdoors at twilight because jay farrar of son volt is so hot and has such a nice voice and such nice songs.

Posted by josh | March 30, 2007 11:59 AM

Yes, Janie is a sweetheart. I agree that she should give the performers copies of her shows, but that doesn't make what this dumb blonde bitch did OK. I've actually often wondered what she does with her recordings, actually. Maybe she's building a fort.

Posted by Ari Spool | March 30, 2007 12:09 PM

There's a story, no if only the stranger had some reporters... kidding!

Ari, seriously. She has been taping shows for as long as I remember and then some. 10+years she has Seattle's audio history archived and I dare say no one outside of Alan Lomax would have a better archive of one city's musical fingerprint.

That said, the taper communuty isn't so fond of her. She's terrible about sharing and there in lies the irony. She won't share what she's taking from the bands.

Posted by Whatevs | March 30, 2007 12:14 PM

that taping woman is a pain in the ass. i've had her insist to me that she has permission from a wide variety of bands, only to learn that they (a) not only have never heard of her but, also, (b) do not want her record their music.

her schtick is a good racket, though. she manages to weasel into a lot of shows for free with her semi-pro looking set-up. she's guaranteed an area of space around her and, apparently, ends up with a catalog of music that no one else, including the artists she is stealing from, ever gets to hear.

Posted by kerri harrop | March 30, 2007 1:12 PM

My point exactly, Ms. Harrop.

Posted by Whatevs | March 30, 2007 1:22 PM

I don't know AiS all that well, but I enjoyed their show last night.

I definitely preferred the space-rock jams over the uber-twee pop songs. But I was feeling a little cranky last night, so lyrics like "The sun! Is bright! And it's shining in you!" went over with me like a lead balloon.

Posted by Explorer | March 30, 2007 3:24 PM

i agree 100% with Kerri. i saw her recording one of my shows once and i asked her before she knew i was performing if she had permissions, she said she did, but that was news to me! hmmm anyways when i repeatedly asked her what she would do with my music she was about to record she said "its for an archive" but refused to tell me any more than that. i am curious why clubs continue to let her do this.
ac
p.s. i never got my promised recording either

Posted by ac | March 30, 2007 5:06 PM

Hmm. . .We are going to look into it and see if we can find out her story. Should be interesting!

Posted by Ari Spool | March 30, 2007 5:11 PM

As a taper that tries to share just about everything I tape, I'm especially irritated by her hoarding but I have to admit she's always been nice enough to me.

While we're talking about taping... Seattle, next time you're talking throughout the whole show take a second to think that your conversation could be captured on tape and circulated (and made fun of) forever. There's a ton of shows being taped in the NW right now (stealth and otherwise) so there's a good chance that there's someone rolling at the show you're talking through and it's very possible that you're gabbing about a foot away from a microphone. It's cool to enjoy yourself and it usually even adds to a recording but there's no reason to talk to your friend through the whole gig.

Posted by taper | March 30, 2007 11:01 PM

So if people don't want her recording their bands, tell the staff at the club and if she doesn't have permission, then we'll tell her to take her shit down. I can't tell you how many times she has recorded shows at one of my clubs and I've never heard any of it. Ari, what the hell does she actually do with this stuff??? Put on your scoop hat and go get the scoop!

Posted by Steven Severin | March 31, 2007 11:23 AM

Her name is Jayney Wallick, and she considers herself a "Live Audio Recordist/Archivist". Jayney also claims to be a member of the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences.

She had been told directly by bands to share the recordings, but to this day, and to the best of my knowledge, does not. Apparently from the comments above she does not even share with the bands that create the music. How sad.

This being said, I have direct knowledge that you can get the recordings from her, for a price. How does that strike you? She doesn't want you to know that, of course. But now you do. And you should. If you haven't hired her to do the taping, she shouldn't get paid for it.

Contact her here: http://www.bardatlarge.com/

Let her know what you think, and feel free to pressure her for the recordings of your music. But please be kind. The work she does is very important. We do want the musical history of Seattle captured, don't we?

Just the same, she has no right to "own" the recordings without your direct permission, and certainly no right to sell them without your knowledge. And, you should be receiving at least some of the proceeds from these sales, or at very least a copy of the show if that's what you want. At this point a standard contract should be prepared that she must sign and abide by, or she leaves empty handed before the show begins. Yes?

Rock on brothers and sisters!

Posted by wake up call | March 31, 2007 12:02 PM

I'm assuming what you're saying is true here and I will say this:

To say "Yeah, I'll tape a show for you." and then charge the band is just ridiculous. Especially considering the equipment she's using (which is not what I would call "good" equipment).

I tape bands in this town almost every week and I always make an effort to get them copies of the recording. In fact: if I've taped one of your shows (look here: www.iamserio.us) and you haven't received a copy, send me an email (my email is on the site) and I will mail you copies of the show.

Taping is about getting the recordings to everyone so everyone can listen. I put up almost EVERY show that I record on my website (with a select few being withheld at the artist's request). To hoard recordings is the antithesis of what taping is about.

Posted by Brian Connolly | April 1, 2007 10:09 PM

I agree with most of these comments. She taped one of my (now defunct) band's shows without telling us, then gave us a copy. It sounded OK, but she started coming to all of our subsequent shows, recording and trying to get us to buy the recordings. We were recording our own shows, and at one concert she showed up and plugged her stuff in right next to ours, which caused a power outage. I didn't want to tell her to stop coming to our shows because she seemed so nice, but in the end I had to, because it was so inconvenient.

Posted by jh | April 2, 2007 10:45 AM

NOTE that she is listing these bands as clients on her website. Look for your band. If you have not hired her to record than you are not a client and I really doubt The Flaming Lips hired her to record their concert.

Recording is great but she is not going about it in a very ethical way.

Posted by the tone | April 2, 2007 1:11 PM

lol. That equipment is complete crap on her website.. Unbelievable. I ran shit better than that 10 years ago.

Posted by mark | April 4, 2007 8:27 PM