« Biggie Smalls, "Party & Bullsh... | S Cancels Vera Show »

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Because You People Want Me to Stop Hating Things…

posted by on March 27 at 13:06 PM

Here. Here’s something I love:

I also like the Hold Steady and daffodils (I call ‘em daffodilies) and vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting and people who can take a joke.

Now stop whining, ya big babies. Not everything in the world deserves a big bear hug. (Especially not this band.)

It's hard not to love a girl who loves The Monkees.

Posted by elswinger | March 27, 2007 1:06 PM

My gripe is that your posts tend to read like someone who enjoys the sound of her own voice a bit much.

Give us something interesting to read, with some substance.

No harm intended, please. Just saying.

Posted by Whatevs | March 27, 2007 2:35 PM

Why has Slog and Line Out been so excruciatingly BORING lately. It's a fucking snooze fest here. Aren't you guys supposed to be entertaining? It's getting as dull as the print version of The Stranger. Fuck.

Posted by Veronica Viaduct | March 27, 2007 3:06 PM

I love peanut butter. And what the guy is wearing in the video who is standing next to the beach tent. The matching shorts are such a good look.

Yeah, you like something, people will hate it, you hate something, people also hate it.

JZ sums it up best: "What would you have rather read? a (story) that says the same thing that you believe, that you and your friends have already agreed with, that validates your own POV? or something that challenges it and forces you to think about it?"

I think this stuff is funny as hell. I think there's entertainment value. And the debate that ensues is always interesting.

It's all about the opinion. Do people really just want to hear what they want to hear?

Posted by trent moorman | March 27, 2007 3:10 PM

Veronica, you're the new editor at the Stranger. You're in charge. Tell us, what should we cover, what should we be saying? How should we say it? Spice it up for us. Tell me 3 bands to go cover and an interesting way to do it, that you deem unboring, and I'll cover them.

Posted by trent moorman | March 27, 2007 3:16 PM

Smoosh, Head Like A Kite, and more Smoosh!

Sorry, that was too easy.

Posted by Whatevs | March 27, 2007 3:34 PM

It's not what you do or what you cover, but how you do it. I can't tell you Trent or The Stranger staff how to not be boring. I'm just pointing out that generally you are. I'm sorry I can't help you out more dear. I'm just trying to get through my work day and silly me, I look to Slog/Line Out for entertainment and I'm just saying it's been fucking dullsville. I enjoy reading the arguments that erupt on here, things like how stuff like The Nachos suck etc. Anyway, it's just my opinion too. If you don't want your readers to heckle you or agree with you or whatever, don't have a comment option on here. I'm just using it.

Posted by Veronica Viaduct | March 27, 2007 3:55 PM

Wait, Veronica, aren't we in kind of an argument here? Aren't you saying something sucks and I'm saying, it doesn't suck?

I'm saying I want your opinion. I want to hear what you have to say. I want to hear what you can bring to the table. I want the interaction. Where did I say I don't want your opinion?

Smoosh and Head Like a Kite, aren't they both Rush cover bands? I haven't really heard much about them though. They both suck real bad.

Posted by trent moorman | March 27, 2007 5:13 PM

The following is factually acurate:

You are all retarded.

Posted by Yip Yip | March 27, 2007 5:46 PM

This was rad Megan, get more of this. If I wasn't on vacation this week this would have wasted a good amount of time from my dy.

Posted by Little Red Ryan Hood | March 27, 2007 8:35 PM

Trent, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that you're not being a smart ass and
offer up some suggestions for Line Out...

I'd like to see in-depth bios (with photos) of Stranger writers that post on
here. I wanna know who you people are and why we should care about what you think.

I don't wanna read what boils down to mundane promotional bullshit about
this or that band's show/tour or new release...I want dirt. Interview
booking agents/promotors/whoevers about the bands that come through
town...let's get the dish on riders, fights, head trips, blow, etc.

I'd like to rehash the subject of how much $$$ from that last KEXP pledge
drive is gonna go in John In The Morning's pocket. And while you're at it,
get some behind the scenes dirt from disgruntled KEXP interns.

I'd like to hear what fizzled out Seattle bands of the 90s are doing
nowadays...7 Year Bitch, Green Apple Quickstep, Sweetwater, Love Battery,
etc. Have they joined new bands or are they washing dishes at Bimbo's?

Give us some unexpected religious and/or political factoids about rock
stars....Beck is a Scientologist, Prince is a Jehovah's Witness, etc.

I enjoyed the recent
How Was It?
SLOG post (part 1, anyway)...it's like Heavy Metal Parking Lot does Seattle. This should be a regular thing.

The sky's the limit...reach for it!

Posted by Veronica Viaduct | March 28, 2007 10:42 AM

i wish everything was a tabloid! or "VH1 where are they now?"! down with journalistic integrity! up with people! create your own news! re-inflate don't assimilate! throw out credibility with your credit cards! be fun, not factual!

damn the fucking man, man!

Posted by sisser | March 28, 2007 1:22 PM

A.) The Hold Steady is the best band in the world.

B.) LineOut is at its most interesting when it is, sadly, stirring up controversy - the last time I remember being truly thrilled by reading it was during the Jaspan fiasco. I enjoyed being informed, seeing all the different perspectives, etc. I'm not saying go out and dig up dirt on KEXP, but I'd love to see some far-reaching, argument-spawning local shit going down. Something we can all argue about and enjoy, rather than "Hey this band's here tonight, go see them" over and over, which is sometimes what this blog can feel like. That's my two bits.

Posted by Jeff | March 28, 2007 1:42 PM

#12, I'm not sure sure Megan's the right person to pin "journalistic integrity" on but if you want more mindless crap, by all means keep encouraging her.

The rest of us like to be informed with relevant and entertaining content.

I know that's a bit much to ask for.

Posted by Whatevs | March 28, 2007 2:10 PM

Hey #14, I'm pretty sure #12 was being mildly sarcastic.

Posted by Jeff | March 28, 2007 4:08 PM

Trent, I don't know who JZ is (the new editor?) but I can't think of a Line Out post that has challenged my point of view (though SLOG does on occassion.) Veronica's got some fine ideas. In particular, I'd love to see the writers' bios...who are you people? I also think it'd be cool if you had a place for us to submit ideas...I often run across items that I think would be great posts for Line Out.

#13, The Hold Steady is over-fucking-rated.

Posted by Red Wendy | March 28, 2007 5:48 PM

Define "overrated" for me. As in, too popular for their merit? Or said to be better than they really are?

'cuz neither one's really true - there's a lot of Hold Steady hatred out there.

Posted by Jeff | March 28, 2007 6:52 PM

Fair enough, Jeff. It seems like all I hear about them is how fucking great they are but that doesn't mean there aren't an equal amount of dissenting opinions...I just don't pay all that much attention. I don't think they "suck" but they really aren't my bag...to each their own.

Posted by Red Wendy | March 28, 2007 7:32 PM

I'd like to be able to download old live shows of Love Battery at the Crocodile or Heart at Astor Park.

Posted by elswinger | March 29, 2007 12:25 PM

Hold Steady appreciation is rarely neutral, I've found - people either love them to death or just want to kill them. The people who like them probably like them a bit too much (I include myself) but the people who hate them REALLY hate them.

Posted by Jeff | March 29, 2007 2:53 PM