« Goddamn, I Love the Hold Stead... | Everybody Sings »

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Scholarly Discourse

posted by on March 22 at 12:05 PM

The Mass Line Message board is lit up like July 4 over Andrew Matson’s article on Blue Scholars signing to Rawkus Records.

It’s pretty heated and it’s pretty great. Scholars manager Dave Meinert is PO’ed and raring to say so, Mass Line’s Sabzi has weighed in with his discontent and so has Geo of the Scholars. There’s a pretty good point-counterpoint debate going on. Meanwhile Matson’s article still stands up for itself. If you’re at all interested in Northwest hiphop I suggest checking it out.

whoa there son, I'm not po'd. Just think the article is childish and poorly written. I'm amused by it not pissing at it. People should know the article wasn't researched at all and is just an insider piss on a great band. The writer has is very ill-informed. My general concern is larger than this one article, which really make little difference to anyone...I just hope the Stranger music section doesn't return to valuing shit stirring over decent journalism, that would be a step down from the quality Maerz and Segal had taken the paper to.

Posted by DM | March 22, 2007 12:50 PM

I normally dont read the stranger for hiphop, but what I read today was inaccurate. Speaking as a fan and artist from seattle's hip hop scene, I suggest you find a writer who actually knows about seattle hip hop. If these are the type of articles you produce, not only will I continue not read it but will encourage others not to do so as well.

Posted by Paul | March 22, 2007 1:15 PM

This is by far the worst article I have read from the stranger!! what happened to yall?????

Posted by annoyed | March 22, 2007 1:20 PM

I thought the article was great. Someone is finally writing about that group without blinders on.

Posted by ms | March 22, 2007 1:20 PM

ms - it doesn't sound like Blue Scholars fans or the band mind negative opinions about their music. As popular as they are I assume they get a lot of that. But they do have a point that the if the writer wrote this criticism of them without talking to them or their label, then that is poor journalism. It is a bit sad to see the Stranger hip hop coverage, which has been so great of late, sinking to this level. I'm sure the new editor is excited people are commenting, but I aure am not impressed with him or this new writer. They'll probably both be at the Weekly soon enough to join Hannah and the other ex Stranger writers.

Posted by tbf | March 22, 2007 1:33 PM

Point A: Mienert is kinda acting like/being a total tool, no? BLue Scholars seem so chill about it. what's with mienerts spaz-tastic freak out?

yikes. hate to get on the wrong side of him....

oh wait...the whole "no smoking in bars" thing already put the stranger on his bad side.

Point B: my fave part of the massline boards is the little boy who keeps screaming "THAT"S RACIST!"

cute as a button!

Posted by terry miller | March 22, 2007 1:53 PM

Matson & the new editor are obviously just trying to create some controversy to make themselves relevant. Unfortunately the piece is riddled with innacuracies & lame personal attacks, and the whole tone of the thing is that of a nose pinched deep in the crevice of an anal cavity, with no light to shine the way home. Not to mention the writing sucked on par with the self-slurper from Short Bus.

Posted by badjournalism | March 22, 2007 1:53 PM

heres the thing most of you are failing to see: this is a piece of op-ed journalism, a valued format for anyone interested in getting a well-rounded perspective on whats up. you guys can call matson misinformed all you want; the fact is this is an opinion piece and his opinion doesnt match yours so your ad-hominem attacks are pointless.

of course he couldve talked to the scholars. im sure we can all imagine what they wouldve said. so whats the point? the idea here is to offer an alternative to the usual party line, which so far all of you are toeing without much explanation.

you dont talk to the band when youre writing a record review, do you?

meinert: if youre calling matson "ignorant" and not POed then youve totally lost me. thems fighting words, son.

Posted by jz | March 22, 2007 1:56 PM

ah, i take it back. someone retitled the thread over there on mass line and removed the "ignorant" before "stranger writer."

Posted by jz | March 22, 2007 2:04 PM

i love how the folks who have the biggest problem with the "white, educated" fanbase are white and educated. it's all the white boys who used to love underground backpacker shit before their younger counterparts came along and made it not cool for them to like talib kweli anymore. so they moved on to gangsta rap, first as a joke, but now fully intellectualizing the intricacies of cocaine as a metaphor for "the rap game." they hate these young awkward white underground hip-hop fans because they remind them that that's who they were three years ago. enjoy your coke rap, you irrelevant hipsters. i can't wait to see what trend you'll hop on next.

Posted by RedGoldGreen | March 22, 2007 2:07 PM

RGG, damn son you just schooled the whole lot. Nice work.

Prediction: The Stranger will promote coke rap (previews, reviews, slog posts, et. al) and then follow up in a few weeks with a hard hiting expose about how coke is killing the scene. Nice work guys.

Posted by Whatevs | March 22, 2007 2:13 PM

not quite, whatevs:

you should read the paper from time to time before making wild predictions. the fact is, some of us have been into this hiphop thing before coke rap, before backpacker rap. theres more to the story than just blue scholars or clipse.

Posted by jz | March 22, 2007 2:22 PM

zwickel is right, the article is an opinion piece. i don't have to talk to the scholars to have an opinion. and it's not just gossip; the arguments are thoughtful.

and how am i ignorant? that's a little harsh. somehow, to criticize the scholars has become blasphemous. without dialogue like this, you get a hiphop dictatorship. i guess the safer approach would be to force-feed stranger readers massline propaganda.

massline camp: go ahead and say i'm biased. we all are. that's not a meaningful argument.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | March 22, 2007 3:40 PM

nobody is saying that you shouldn't have written the article so ease up on the defensiveness, journalist. keep telling yourself that you're starting a dialogue. this article, however, is not dialogue. it's a diss. it's tabloid shit. how are you going to say you're all about dialogue then say shit like "i don't need to talk to them, i can say whatever i want"? check yourself brosef.

Posted by RedGoldGreen | March 22, 2007 3:59 PM

stop crying.

Posted by ah | March 22, 2007 4:18 PM

i fail to see where the dis is here. for real--can you elaborate? a dis is a personal attack and matson didnt even get close to that. his argument is levelheaded and measuered. the only dis here is from people calling matson ignorant and hateful.

just curious: what would you have rather read? a story that says the same thing that you believe, that you and your friends have already agreed with, that validates your own POV? or something that challenges it and forces you to think about it?

thats not a dis, my friend, thats dialog. else youre looking for a simpleminded press release, and were not gonna run that here.

its not a matter of "trying to be relevant," as @7 claims up above. clearly this piece IS relevant bc here we are talking about it still and there are six pages of comments on the mass line message board. sorry folks but were not in the business of TRYING to be anything.

to get your back up so quickly shows a lack of confidence in BS. the fact is, if the musics strong enough itll rise above the fray.

Posted by jz | March 22, 2007 4:30 PM

@14

Dude. It is a dilaogue that's been started. On 2 different websites. IT's going nuts.

The Massline fanzealots seem to be missing how condescending, alienating and divisive their pontificating about hip hop has gotten. That shit has become a subculture.

The difference I'm seeing between the Massline devoted and the rest of the world is the we seem to allrespect their music and admire their success without actually having to be into them, where as the CM/BS fans are intolerant. RA's wife, his condescending soapboxing is a big tunr off to alot of people who don't wait for their marching orders from KRS One.

I'm in my 30s and I grew up in Los Angeles' hiphop scene. I don't need anyone to tell me what hiphop means or is. What it means or is to them is fine. Talking and doing look really different anyway don't they. It's really all just so presumptuous insulting. That's how alot of people feel.

It's cool if y'all eat that shit up with a spoon. What ever works for you right? If their music eases some suffering, makes you smile then it's vital. What you're missinbg here is this is the first criticism the cult of Massline has received in local press and cats are acting like the shit hit the fan. Rise above it.

Posted by Saul Goodman | March 22, 2007 4:38 PM

You guys flipped out when El-P aired his feelings about the photo with Diddy on Rawkus a couple weeks ago.

Now this?

Corny. You know stupid fans can give a good band's music a bad aftertaste right?

Suicidal Tendencies anyone?
Anticon?
Radiohead?

Posted by Get Right | March 22, 2007 4:45 PM

To matson – you’re sounding pretty defensive there buddy. “how am I ignorant? That’s a little harsh” – get the fuck out of town. If you can dish it out, you better be able to take it. What did you expect when you went about bashing one of the most popular grassroots movements in seattle culture since the 90’s? Maybe you’re not ignorant as a human being, but this article sure makes you seem like it. Oh and wait – didn’t I spot an article written by you lauding the noc on wood recording compound… yep you sure have your finger on the pulse of “Seattle's tight-knit rap community”.

Zwickel – bashing Massline in a sensational piece doesn’t seem to me like the best way to make your mark. I guess it depends on your motives though. Maybe you should get to know the community better before you start targeting folks to try to get people talking about the stranger. Of course people will respond to this, but it’s not a dialogue – it’s a lot of people saying “man those cats at the stranger are really out of touch and jaded”.

OK you guys, please go (snort snort) enjoy your clipse album.

Posted by snortsnortpass | March 22, 2007 5:00 PM

again w the coke rap. man, thats so off-base i dont know where to start. has i or anyone at the stranger ever pledged allegiance to that music? one more time ill refer you to the piece i wrote taking a critical look at the whole phenomenon:

seriously folks, read the paper, theres some good shit in there and its clearly not what you think it is.

@19, i ask you too, where is the bash in matsons article? wheres the sensationalism? nobodys been able to point that out yet, nobodys really honed in on any inaccuracies. you disagree w matsons opinion, therefore hes bashing. theres nothing mean-spirited in that story at all. come on, address whats really there, not your presumptions.

Posted by jz | March 22, 2007 5:18 PM

You know what. Saying this is about The Clipse and Massline fans is minimizing how developed the unspoken divide is. No one is allowed to say shit about these 2 groups. Ever.

Look at the response.

Fuck The Clipse. That's not me. Saying that you're either a coke rap guy or a Massliner is pretty simple. I don't dig either. Saying that you're some stupid cokehead hipster if you aren't feeling all this Massline "Real Hip Hop" dogma is as stupid as saying that Massline is for 19 year old Ethnic Studies majors. It's just a little heavy handed.

I don't dig it. It's bland, it's safe and it's kinda fugazi in my opinion.

Fuck, did you guys just find out today that you're not everybody's favorites? Look how you guys are acting. Good grief. Is anyone from your camp gonna come in here and say something that makes you stop looking like babies?

You've got fan approval, so stop bitching and bank on that, but trust me, you guys are not the media darlings you assumed you were. You won't be in your current incarnations. Don't sweat that. You don't need everyone to ride your fucking nuts. Just do the damn thing and eat steaks and cach checks. Sheesh.

Looking hella stupid.

Posted by Bad Joke | March 22, 2007 5:28 PM

Remind me...do we care about any of this?

Posted by BR | March 22, 2007 7:04 PM

twenty-two posts would suggest yes.

Posted by jz | March 22, 2007 7:08 PM

I just read that massline board.

One post was "a good Blue Scholars artical, writin by someone that's not into Hip Hop "

Pretty much their whole fanbase. End of story.

Posted by ah | March 22, 2007 8:38 PM

maybe some people are getting scared that there's a new wave coming through in the HIP HOP scene. Let's face it most of the Massline music sounds like a throwback to 1993, really. But whether you like them or not Massline is still an important part of Seattle HIP HOP along with Neema and the whole Unexpected Arrival crew, D.Black and the Sportn' Life camp, Dyme Def, Silent Lambs, Grynch, Macklemore, and the list goes on. There is no "Seattle Sound" its all pretty good, some better than others. People just need to be exposed to all of it.

Posted by 30 Sumthin | March 22, 2007 11:44 PM

Yeah, how dare anyone speak out against Mayor Meinert.

If BS are this pissed about the press they just got in Seattle, what are they going to do when press around the country starts ripping them?

Cause I got news boys, it ain't always gonna be what you want.

All this, 'we hate the Stranger now', is silly.

I'm sure I will be torn a new asshole here, but I can't stand BS or CM. I couldn't stand Maktub either. They are over produced and safe. It bores the hell out of me. They rap the same on almost everysone, and Sabzi's beats sound like he's pressing play on a drumbeat cd.

Those BS guys need to listen to some Madlib.

And don't TELL me you have soul and that you're 'real'. Let me figure it out for myself.

If Meinert and Massline are so all holy and accepting of peace and love and open minded, then can't they be open to something that might not be what they want to hear?

But now, because the Stranger dissed BS a little, the music section is terrible, and the music section better 'watch out.' BULLSHIT.

I say Meinert and BS / CM better watch out, cause when the 'bigger picture' sees that they're acting like a bunch of cry babies, they're gonna laugh.

Posted by atl | March 23, 2007 2:52 AM

@ 26...Amen to that
@25...You are mistaken, there is a Seattle sound that is totally unique to this region and that's alot of what's at issue here.

Matson (henceforth known as "He Who Shall Not Be Named") even touches on it in his op/ed piece. Seattle seems to be a city that struggles for it's own identity in maby respects and not the least of those is in making music relevent to hiphop.

When you consider that the city has forged a sound unique to this region through acts like SLP, Greyskul, Cancer Rising, Asun, Bean One, Hostallion (Oly) etc, then I'd hope you can imagine why it seems like a step backwards to pin too much hopes on setting a mark in that form of music by lending much weight to Massline as torchbearers, as their sound is safe, bland throwback stuff that seems to nod more to NYC '92 than to Seattle today.

Just as everyone else with criticisms seems quick to point out I also want to point out that I see absolutely nothing wrong with their sound, their approach or digging their music. I've heard some stuff I like from CM. Dude on the mic annoys the shit out of me with his pious "hiphop saves" shtick but there's no denying his skills. My whole hang up is it's just more of the same old "Seattle can't have nothin' nice of it's own so we'll borrow someone elses shit they ain't using no more". I've always had the same problem with Boom Bap project (though their music was a cut above the Massline stuff). It was good, but I didn't see how it represented a unique addition to the hiphop canon from a region that hadn't properly broke.

Anyone familiar with Ugly Duckling? They are really cool cats but artistically they don't get the same respect around their town as their counterparts in Cali Wild, Project Blowed, Living Legends etc because their sound (though well loved by fans and moderately successful) is safe, throwback hiphop that doesn't reflect the hiphop from their region at all. As a result they are viewed as kinda peripheral to L.A. hiphop and they topped out in terms of market potential a long time ago. Let's not forget those same dudes were the subject of a somewhat excited bidding war in '99/'00, alas, 7 years later they are only marginally in looking at the hiphop movement in their region.

BS & CM are very similar. I suspect they'll boutique out their fan base with a pertinent demographic and experience moderate lifestyle sustaining successes but will not be viewed by history as the vanguard of the Seattle sound.

...which is why it's really stupid for fans to get pissed at the article. Your boys are going to do fine. They are not going to starve. Thery will reach people but you can't make us see them as Mini-Jesus. That's just not happening. Seattle's got artists who've spent years taking risks with their music and developing a unique sound for this region. Those same acts have built up quite a reserve of peer respect and credibility in the industry. They've just now begun to spend some of the fabled currency to shine some much needed light on what Seattle's got to offer.

Posted by Li'l Baby Little Homie | March 23, 2007 10:31 AM

all I meant by that no Seattle sound statement is that our scene is waaaay to untapped and diverse to be claiming a sound. you have Mix a lot, Boom Bap and now Blue Scholars who couldn't be more different. All of them have seen national exposure. Meanwhile you have Common Market, D.Black, The Parker Brotherz Unexpected Arrival and Macklemore, all who couldn't sound more different from one another. basically you can't say theres a seattle sound like theres a sacremento sound or a bay area sound etc. we are way to diverse, much more like a NY or LA. in my opinion

Posted by 30 Sumthin | March 23, 2007 11:46 AM

And I'm saying a sound is being identified and this place will remain irrelevent until it's gained enough mementum here to be recognized outside the region.

L.A. and NYC still do and always have had a distinct and widely immitated sound. Don't get it twisted.

Posted by Li'l Baby Little Homie | March 23, 2007 12:12 PM

i'm happy the article came out if only because this comment thread is a reminder that there's a lot of local hip-hop i have yet to hear. thanks for that.

Posted by donte | March 23, 2007 2:10 PM

I also noticed the Meinert clan of Massline BS / CM may be on the verge of shutting themselves out of Seattle press. Cause they seem to say that the Weekly sucks and now the Stranger is bad. So where are they going to get their love now? They're so about love, you know. Or are they above having to respect any of the local press because they're so huge now?

Posted by atl | March 24, 2007 10:21 AM

Wow that's a lot of hate that's being expressed for some folks that have paid a lot of dues and are just trying to do something positive. It's pretty ugly. What have all you haters been doing lately to help protect and grow the Seattle music scene? I mean, besides posting on the slog? I guess it's easy to take jabs at something from afar when it's successful.

Posted by hateleadstothedarkside | March 24, 2007 1:52 PM

I got some questions.

Anybody else think the new Blue Scholars logo on their album cover is a blatant rip off of Atmosphere's logo?

Why is DM acting like Karl Rove?

Wouldn't a managerial switch from somebody in the hiphop scene to somebody in the rock scene produce an article that is exactly the one in question?

Posted by ?uestions | March 28, 2007 9:10 AM

everything written in the article was on point and factual. this is not sarcasm. it everything written in the article by the author was based in fact. problem is is that massline is so self-absorbed they can't and won't let themselves see any other point of view.

Posted by lmao | March 28, 2007 10:03 AM

You guys are taking this too seriously.

You can read message boards really well, that's pretty evident. You really can't assume what someones demeanor and feelings about something is while you sit and just read their words on a screen.

Take the ariticle for face value and also the reactions to it.

stop bickering like kids.

Stop trying to attach labels to certain groups. Stop trying to demonize the fans. The fan's aren't the artist. If you wanna know BS reaction call em up, email em. Arrange a lunch.

Or you can stay behind you computer and send out anonymous posts like i'm doing here. Basing our opinions on what people post rather than actual dialogue.

Posted by daheck | March 28, 2007 10:39 AM

You know, I am a huge fan of BS and after looking at their reaction on their message board, it showed me the true them. They were very childish when this article came out, including their manager, who I think is named Meinart, posted how ignorant the stranger is. How old are you, sir? So in saying that, you guys lost a lot of fans and really, although people clowned on them on the board, it's true. They have no swagger.

Posted by Rock | March 28, 2007 12:11 PM

jesus god, it won't die.

Posted by lar | March 28, 2007 2:33 PM

The funniest parto f all this si that it wasn't even a diss of their music which isthe most laugable part.

It sucks.

Geo is a horrible rapper aside from the corny contrived faux struggle and all the true school bullshit. At least rap good.

The minute someone calls out them out for completely dumping their boy who sweat blood and tears to get them where they where in hopes Meinert (laughs) could help them further shows how fugazi these clowns are. I guess reading about in the paper doesn't feel all that good and makes them get all red faced and reply happy.

All their fanzealots have 4 hip hop cd's and will live in die with them becasue they have created a haven for lame topic hot top shoppers to feel welcome.

That whole shit needs to go away and with the fucking retarded move to the former shell of Rawkus I think that parts already taken care of.

Ar-15's with rainbows, dude! totally killer!

Posted by POS | March 28, 2007 4:49 PM

Where to even begin...the music is bad, for one. I mean really bad. Corny, really corny. BS and CM hide their lack of swagger and overall skill by hiding behind easy revolution and anti-this, anti-that matters. Bush sucks, we know it - The FCC sucks, we know it - need we be reminded by some 20 sumthin' suburban college kids who's parents put them thru UW? (Geo and Sabzi)Where is this struggle you cry about?

Make a banger! Make a certified, rewindable aaahhhhshhhheeeet banger. Spit a hot 16 with some swagger. Flip some styles. BS and CM are more about the bullshit message than the music. Their ignorant fans can't name the members of real groups with real messages - like Brand Nubian, Dead Prez, and wouldn't know who Flava Flav was if it weren't for VH-1. This is their (fans) first look at Seattle rap - and it's easy on the senses - not hard, not in your face, swagger-lacking, peace loving rural suburb rap with a cheap, disposable anti-bush, anti-system message. This is a message that these pussy rappers have not had to witness first hand - being from the suburbs! This is the Massline cop out! Seattle buys into this like Starbucks and Amazon. And the rest of Seattle's hiphop scene? Too hard, too street, too in your face - fans feel threatened. These aren't hiphop fans, they're whites and asians looking for some kind of identity and something to latch on to. Way to go BS! I've heard through the grapevine the sheisty moves they've made to get this far...their firing of their manager, the guy who did everything to get them here, all the way to the fact that if you post something negative about them on their message board, they edit it! Isn't one of your bogus, thinly drawn "slogans" Free Speech? It's pathetic. It makes me sick to think that I live here, and that this is the scene. These same suburb rappers now rock "stunna shades" and make funny faces in their press shots. These are your heroes! This is what Seattle rap has become!

Posted by Ya Know | March 28, 2007 9:30 PM

I really get irritated with people who find some sort of heirarchy within genres of music (especially hip-hop). Like the music that one group makes is more superior than the other simply due to message. LIFE IS ABOUT BALANCE. You can't rap about life being good all the time, you can't rap about life being bad all the time. Nothing about the life we live in is just ONE thing. So when I see people worship at the feet of Sabz and Geo and shun Pusha-T and Malice simply based on the content of their music, it almost saddens me.

WAKE UP SEATTLE! We have drug-dealers, we have gangs, we have hoods, we have killers, if you don't want to believe it, then you're the most narrow minded of people. Big ups to Blue Scholars and everyone else in this Seattle hip-hop community that has one objective: to be heard. And guess what, the person that goes through the part of our society's system that gives them no other option than street life deserves to be heard just as much as the one who's trying to empower and uplift a community

Posted by DJ Nphared | March 28, 2007 10:31 PM

"while you waitin' for the mention in the pages of the stranger,
you can find me in the basement making heaters for later"

- North by Northwest

Posted by the word | March 29, 2007 9:57 AM

Man... straight up. Blue Scholars ain't from the hood. You can't expect them to spit that hard shit. They're from the suburbs so the struggles they talk about aren't so much a personal one, as they are about a group of people. My beef is not really a beef, I guess. It's like this:

For a group that is supposed to be speaking to people of color (revolution, struggle, etc.), their fanbase is almost entirely white! If you go to the CD, the End, Delridge, whathaveyou and you ask anybody if they even heard of Blue Scholars or Common Market, they're gonna say no.

I've even spoken with cats that say they saw Sabzi at a show dominated by people of color and them cats was sayin Sabzi looked hella uncomfortable! Who does that? I don't know... but that ain't it.

It seems like they've forgotten that Hip-Hop comes from the Hood, speaks to the Hood, and returns to the Hood.

Either that, or their message is getting lost in translation because these white people think that the Scholars is talkin to them! I mean they are, but indirectly.. you feel me?

So, NO! Blue Scholars, Common Market, and the entire Massline family has not paved the way for a Seattle Sound. As far as I'm concerned, they ain't from Seattle. Ra is from where... Monroe? Sabzi is from where... Ballard or some shit? Geo is from.... Bremerton, I think? Gabriel is the only one from the town and he's being pushed the least hardest by his label. Who does that?

The biggest teller for me is how they dropped Marc Sense, the dude that got em there and snatched up the rich, white guy with connections. The rich, white guy that knows nothing about hip-hop, by the way. Nice.... can't call it shady cuz I don't know the details but since it's never been explained and kept under wraps, it sure looks shady.

If they want to speak for Seattle, then they better get to know Seattle. It ain't ALL hood. But it ain't all good either. Straight up.

Posted by S End | March 29, 2007 12:05 PM

So instead.... look to these:

Vitamin D
Bean One
Neezie Pleaze
Damian Blak
Fatal Luccianno
Dyme Def

Posted by S End | March 29, 2007 12:33 PM

Sabzi is from Kirkland or some shit

Posted by pie shack | March 29, 2007 4:04 PM

"Well Well Well If I ain't the most diab-olical haters this side o' the Mississppi."

Hate Hate Hate Hate ...

Posted by Silky Johnson | March 29, 2007 9:11 PM

Who fucking cares where they're from.

Maybe they don't practice what they preach... but who does? Do you, fuck no you don't.

What makes them so tolerable is that they have a message, and it's a positive one. It's uplifting. If you don't find it so, then don't listen.

There are people that find it entertaining, so there is obviously a market for their sound.

I for one am glad that they put out what they do. From what i've seen, the Massline label sticks to their message.

I'm tired of people squandering their talent on candy music. Yah it's sounds good but it rots your teeth.

At least they're music has positive goals.

Posted by igotseatacfunk | March 29, 2007 10:40 PM

@ #42 - if your gonna speak, know ya shit homie. RA Scion is from Kentucky, it says it on their website.

Posted by benni | March 29, 2007 10:54 PM

"You seriously can't sit there and judge the artists for what and how their fans act, where they're from, whether or not they really practice what they preach."

the fuck kind of non-sense rambling is this? You're an idiot, don't speak.

Posted by POS | March 30, 2007 10:10 AM

LOL @ you Madd Rappers!!!!! POS SEnd etc.

For some people supposedly representing the hood, you sure spend alot of time on the internet! And who the fuck in the "hood" reads The Stranger? LOL! Except for Madd Rappers wondering why they get no love in this small ass town. Maybe if you invested all this time hating into making an album that PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT TO BUY, then you'd have a valid argument.

Too bad Chappelle canceled the taping of this year's Hater's Ball - this years winner would definitely be from Seattle!

Posted by RedGoldGreen | March 30, 2007 12:24 PM

whether or not u like their music or are a huge fanboy...everything in the article is true and based on facts. if massline is so upset; that this is a smear piece based in gossip then why aren't they attacking this with facts that will refute what the author wrote...oh yeah...that's right...they can't because you can't refute the truth, and for them to even try would make them look more foolish than they (especially dave meinert) have already made them look.

Posted by lmao | March 30, 2007 12:58 PM

It's gotta be madd rappers hatin' right?

Cats always choosing the easier pill to swallow.

Posted by POS | March 30, 2007 2:55 PM

i will officially destroy this post with FACTS then as so many have wished it. I'll do this one by one.

ARTICLE: "Rawkus's legendary, late-'90s winning streak (Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch, Company Flow) is the Scholars' primary artistic influence."

REALITY: (from BS's website)
Geo "Emcees who have influenced him, in no particular order: Nas (poetic), Rakim (delivery, voice), Ras Kass (organic intellectualism), 2Pac (complexity, duality), E-40 (slang, swagger), Boots (politics), Aceyalone (conceptuality), KRS-One (authority), Chuck D (articulation), Common (introspection), Paris (fearlesness), Pharaohe Monch (wordplay)."

Sabzi: "draws influences from a wide spectrum of music, with Pete Rock, DJ Premier and Madlib on one end, and Aphex Twin and NOFX on the other. And yea, Middle Eastern and Indian music, too."

Posted by the word | March 30, 2007 3:14 PM

If not Madd Rappers, then what... Madd Fans? Madd "Keepers of the REAL Seattle Hood Hip-Hop"? Even worse! LOL! GTFOHWTBS!

Posted by RedGoldGreen | March 30, 2007 3:48 PM

ARTICLE: "Blue Scholars, whose reverent positivism resonates less with today's Clipse-loving youth than the college-educated remains of the Rawkus bandwagon."

REALITY: please check www.masslinemedia.com and pics from the Stop the Killings show posted Sunday 3/25. Bulk of the audience was High School students, people of color and working class folks... not white suburban college kids.

Posted by the word | March 30, 2007 4:10 PM

ARTICLE: "From KRS-One's endorsement of Common Market to the Scholars' Rawkus signing, Seattle's dependence on outside validation has hurt its homegrown scene."

REALITY: Massline has sold out the Showbox with local acts and has been grinding since 2002 WORKING WITH AND COLLABORATING with the other NW hip hop groups to BUILD A SCENE TOGETHER. Massline artists ALWAYS give shout outs and love to other local folks. No "outside validation" necessary.

Posted by the word | March 30, 2007 4:14 PM

ARTICLE: "The Rawkus move further illustrates how disconnected Blue Scholars have become from the rest of Seattle's tight-knit rap community."

REALITY: Massline folks have been building relations with all elements of the local hip hop community, many folks no one else cared about. They endorsed INDAYog, the all women's Hip Hop show in December. They have connections to local spoken word artists from Youthspeaks and formerly Isang Mahal arts kollective. They work with local graf artists for their shirts and other prop. Massline artists aren't shutting out others. Listen to Common Market's "Connect Four" and compare that to the other comments on this comments page.

Posted by the word | March 30, 2007 4:18 PM

ARTICLE: "Blue Scholars must be explicit about where their allegiances lie, but their dedication to Seattle has grown as vague as their socialist-ish politics."

REALITY: Listen to "North by Northwest" and tell me they don't rep Seattle still? Listen to "Joe Metro" when it drops and tell me they ain't talking about Beacon Hill, MLK, the CD. Remember "The Inkwell"? Or "The Ave"? Dedication to Seattle? There is nothing vague.

Posted by the word | March 30, 2007 4:22 PM

POS, you're taking what i said and quoting it out of context. If you read on just a little bit more you'll see

"I'm tired of all that other shit. I don't give a shit if it's real or not. Just because it's real and it's how you live doesn't make it good.

At least they're music has positive goals."

Which validates my statement.

Posted by igotseatacfunk | March 30, 2007 7:55 PM

If someone (DM) is going to criticize the the article and call it poorly written, then at least articulate yourself as if you know what good writing is. How can you say that it's poorly written when you, yourself, can't even form a complete thought or sentence (or even spell a word for that matter).

Posted by nick | March 30, 2007 9:23 PM