« Skerik Justifies His Pod | Bad Weekend for Former Punk Ro... »

Monday, March 26, 2007

Sounds like… Steaming Poop

posted by on March 26 at 14:05 PM

We just got a press release for Scott Fisher & the 1 am Approach, whose press sheet includes a quote saying “…sounds like Jack Johnson leading the Ben Folds Five….” (it gets worse) “…with touches of Medeski Martin and Wood’s groove, Brad Mehldau’s pop-jazz fusion and Dave Matthews’ knack for vocal melodies.”

Dear God. That’s awful.

Upon reading that, Ari Spool rightfully threw the CD into the air and walked away.

Just thought you should know.

His website is here.

He looks like this:

scotfish.jpg

Not bad, actually. Sorta cute. Maybe it isn’t terrible. But still, after that description, I just can’t bring myself to listen.

When can we hear Ari's band?

Posted by Whatevs | March 26, 2007 3:44 PM

Why do you think I have a band? This comment keeps coming up, and it's so weird.

Unless, of course, you are referring to the time I was a Mouseketeer. In that case, you need to YouTube that shit.

Posted by Ari Spool | March 26, 2007 4:09 PM

i think those commenters are doing some passive aggressive "you should not criticize unless you are a musician, at least they are making art and putting themselves out there, what are you doing" kind of thing. it doesn't hold up.

Posted by insight | March 26, 2007 4:28 PM

I just play the heartstrings, that's all.

Posted by Ari Spool | March 26, 2007 4:37 PM

I just want to know if Ari thinks he's hot.

Posted by Paulus | March 26, 2007 4:53 PM

Gosh, Meg, your musical taste is superior. I don't know if REAL rock and roll would survive without your advocacy. After all, fashionable teenage garage rockers with no originality or instrumental ability, but really loud amplifiers ARE rock and roll, especially 30 years after punk broke.

All sarcasm aside, though, geez, this guy's influences really do suck. Except for MMW who is good despite their fanbase.

Posted by MattyDread | March 26, 2007 5:03 PM

The Ben Folds Five? Hate all you want, they were 3 talented kids who wrote some fucking amazing timeless pop. Oh wait, its not cool to say that I like BFF right?

Posted by pop_music_fan | March 26, 2007 5:03 PM

Please, MattyDread, please... never call me Meg. Ever.

Megs. Mega. Magoo. Mee-gan. Meggers. Meggie. Meggies. Mega-kin. Asshole... Those are all fine. Just please, never ever call me Meg.

And I never said my tastes were superior. I like that Beyonce song, remember? I know I like stuff that some people consider "weak ass shit." But everyone has to draw the line somewhere. This is where.

And FYI, you're not alone, Pop Music Fan. I'm a fan of some Ben Folds too. But BFF fronted by Jack Johnson with Dave Matthews' vocals? No, no, and hell no.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 26, 2007 5:43 PM

I changed my mind.

Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg! Call me Meg!

Posted by Meg Seling | March 26, 2007 5:53 PM

Here's my beef. The guy sucks. Wow, is that really breaking news? Is he playing Seattle? Is there any reason at all why you needed to mention it here? Is there a shortage of people to cut on in the music business? How is he relevant to music fans in Seattle?

Save that shit for your own pathetic blogs.

Posted by Whatevs | March 27, 2007 8:57 AM

Hey Megan - Those press releases all suck anyway, don't they? Aren't they all B.S.-ish. How do you bear any of them?

Maybe they should just send some homemade brownies with their CD and screw the rest of that industry crap. (And, if you get free brownies all the time, than, dang.. that's so awesome.)

Despite your warnings: I've given the band a listen: to my ears the bands alright. In fact, I'm really kinda diggin it. I'm listenin' to one of their earlier albums I guess (called 'Scott Fisher').

So, take some pity on the guys. Listen to the dang CD, and, if you like it, then, maybe the review will give 'em some feeder ideas on how to rewrite/ditch the press release.

Oh.. and.. @6, BFF rocks y'all's asses. Deep down, you know it to be true, and you just need to come to grips with it. It's going to be ok.

Posted by Sean | March 27, 2007 10:06 AM

Sorry, Megawatt.

Agree with other posters, though, let up on the hatin already.

Posted by MattyDread | March 27, 2007 10:26 AM

Thanks for helping me plan my next press kit. Notes to self:

Do not include: any attempt at describing music, for fear that references will be considered "lame."

Do include: one big, glossy, photo, as flattering as possible (sorta cute = maybe not terrible!). Work on doe eyes. (Should probably include CD as well.)

Posted by Levislade | March 27, 2007 10:58 AM

Hatin' on something doesn't mean I don't love things. I have posted love on the blog before too. And what happens when I do that? I get shit for LIKING THINGS because apparently I like the wrong things.

Jesus, people. Make up your minds.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 27, 2007 11:25 AM

Megan, keep us posted on Seattle music and news relevant to Seattle.

All the other crap you post should be saved for your personal blog.

Posted by Whatevs | March 27, 2007 11:40 AM

It's a MUSIC blog, Whatevs. Not a SEATTLE ONLY music blog.

Line Out isn't intended to be just about Seattle music and music that's coming to Seattle. We'd be leaving out a lot of stuff if that were the case. It's about ALL music. The good, the bad, the ugly, and yes, even those artists inspired by Jack Johnson.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 27, 2007 12:02 PM

And here's the money shot Meg:

"Not bad, actually. Sorta cute. Maybe it isnít terrible. But still, after that description, I just canít bring myself to listen."

You wasted all that time to tell us how bad it was, yet not one second of it was spent ACTUALLY listening to it.

That's why you lack the crdibility.

Posted by Whatevs | March 27, 2007 12:24 PM

And I lack a spell check, but whatevs.

Posted by Whatevs | March 27, 2007 12:24 PM

I didn't waste a second telling you how bad it was. I wasted a number of seconds telling you how bad it SOUNDED like it probably WOULD be if I actually chose to listen to it.

Duh.

And I don't consider it wasted time at all, really. This is all very entertaining to me. Worth every second, if I do say so myself.

Posted by Megan Seling | March 27, 2007 12:56 PM

The Stranger can make fun of a ridiculous press release but then go and post something like this?

"Pretty soon patchwork will be the new tight jeans." from "Spreading the Jam" Posted by JONATHAN ZWICKEL on March 24 at 12:46 PM

I just threw up in my mouth.

Posted by ? | March 28, 2007 9:56 AM

Megan,
what is lame about you is that you take the time to criticize and spend time defending your ignorant comments without listening to his music. Then you proceed to comment on his looks... as if that has anything to do with the music itself. There are few in this world who actually work hard enough and spend enough time to produce a record, let alone a great record combining the talents of several different artists. Listen to the CD and pay attention to its lyrics as well. You could stand to learn a thing or two.

Posted by people are idiots | March 29, 2007 1:04 PM