« The Sad Unravelling Of Foxy Br... | This Week in Hot Men »

Friday, March 2, 2007

Synsonic Global Harmony

posted by on March 2 at 12:51 PM

Way back, after World War I, in the 80’s, Mattel Electronics came out with Synsonic Drums.

Because of these little drum pads, world peace was achieved.

mattel_synsonics.jpg

Click here for a virtual version - Make fat beats, right there, with your mouse.

Big ass bass, a hard, stiff closed hi-hat, the snare – a burst of white noise, and using a thumbwheel control on the side, a tunable tom. It is no wonder nations joined hands.

You can make loops and sample the sounds. All analog, without any of the sounds being realistic at all.

Across the bottom were several buttons that would play these sounds at 1/4-note, 1/8th-note and 1/16th-note divisions of the tempo. By pressing combinations of these keys, you could play ‘rock’, ‘waltz’, ‘off-beat’ and ”shuffle’ patterns.

(Credit for the find: Jay Dillon)

The drum pad, the drum pad, of course world peace followed. Trent should run for president.
Tante

Posted by Tante | March 2, 2007 1:07 PM

I always liked the 'waltz' beats. And the 'samba' ones. I never could play to those. I just liked to listen to them.

Posted by shane | March 2, 2007 1:23 PM

that's cool as hell. where's the virtual tr-606 and 808????

Posted by Graig Markel | March 2, 2007 1:35 PM

World Peace? Let's start dropping these from our B-2's in Afghanistan instead of daisy cutters.

Posted by Concerted | March 2, 2007 1:52 PM

Damn turns out I have NO rythm;-)So much for being the next Tommy Lee
Trent for Prez 2009!

Posted by LuLu | March 2, 2007 2:14 PM

I've got one of these and have done several songs with it...I love tuning the tom as I'm playing, it gives it a really chaotic feel. Good to see someone giving it props.

Posted by alan | March 2, 2007 2:15 PM

I've fooled around with the massively inferior Yamaha DD-5, but this thing looks awesome.

Posted by Eric Grandy | March 2, 2007 2:35 PM

Dude, I'm on the virtual thing right now. Somebody stop me.

Posted by diggy | March 2, 2007 2:42 PM

Yes. Those things are great. We used it for a show at Sonic Boom once. Nabil invited us to play at the store, but he wanted us to do an acoustic version of the songs, which would have been impossible for SushiRobo. So instead, Arthur and I played keyboards instead of guitar and Barry played the Mattel.

Posted by Dave | March 2, 2007 2:50 PM

Those bring me back to the Atari 2600 days. I dominated at Tank or whatever that game was called.

Posted by toto | March 2, 2007 3:22 PM

Check out this dope shit!

crazy radio commercial for Synsonic Drums

Posted by B-LO | March 2, 2007 3:47 PM

I was able to figure out the beginning of Nine Inch Nail's "Closer."

Posted by elswinger | March 2, 2007 5:33 PM

Nigel Olsson from the Elton John Band did a commercial for these that was awesome. I love these little guys. Really great for live improv stuff. Create beats on the fly, loop em and solo over them.

Posted by Paulus | March 2, 2007 6:00 PM

I am voting for trent and I am getting some of those drums

Posted by rafael | March 2, 2007 7:06 PM

something similar - but not. actually totally different - put together by a bunch of french people: www.pianographique.com - they've put a bunch of sounds and images in different themed players.

be sure to click on the ENGLISH version (unless you're fluent in french) on the main page - then on the next page, you'll see 3 different sections - 'sound system,' 'continuum,' and 'piano parole.'

i was told about this site by a former roommate (thank you www.zaedryn.com ) and go there every once in a while when good & baked and needing something fun to play with, virtually speaking. my latest favourite: the "black potion" selection - total blaxploitation theme.

roll up a fatty & enjoy, yall.

Posted by jezbian | March 3, 2007 9:19 AM

The Synsonics are quite nice. Had a set ten years and sold them after I sampled them. Real analog. Too bad they didn't have external trigger ins. The pads are pretty hard and don't trigger well, or at least on mine they didn't. The snare sound is quite nice. Like a 909 snare but not quite as thick. The kick isn't great but tune the low tom down and you get a nicer kick.

Posted by Kelly Minnis | March 6, 2007 2:03 PM

qduvyskg gwlvfnj sxtzoqp dkfco rvqayif lgaobnuep whesgu

Posted by kxlfoinue yzpnk | March 10, 2007 3:30 PM

qduvyskg gwlvfnj sxtzoqp dkfco rvqayif lgaobnuep whesgu

Posted by kxlfoinue yzpnk | March 10, 2007 3:30 PM

qduvyskg gwlvfnj sxtzoqp dkfco rvqayif lgaobnuep whesgu

Posted by kxlfoinue yzpnk | March 10, 2007 3:30 PM

cmykhxnu iuzqem sdyru honjxitay zeiknq ifvp meyphntc jgcbkn ofcwni

Posted by tmipnhuzd bdojytgr | March 10, 2007 3:32 PM