Line Out

Next »

What’s in a Name

saxofon.jpg

I was completely misled by the names on the bill at the Triple Door last night, and my mistake worked out in my favor—halfway, at least.

I got to the joint just in time to catch the last song by Industrial Revelation. I was expecting some kinda abrasive electro klang machine based on the groups name, but instead I was treated to one of the most beautiful melodies I’ve heard coming from a stage in a long time. The young quartet play a sort of postbop soul-jazz, but like their MySpace says, hyphens and labels fall away when you’re absorbing the pure heart and passion that these guys play with. This song ascended in movements, the trumpet player leading with a melody so timeless I figured it must be a standard. The keysman switched from a woozy Rhodes to dramatic grand piano halfway through, and the rhythm section was so casually locked in it seemed they were superliminal. I only caught this one tune but I was entranced.

After their set, I was stunned to learn the song was an original. “It’s an ‘I hate my girlfriend song,’” the hornman told me, “so it might as well be a standard.”

I’m definitely looking out for these guys in the future.

The headliners, Das Vibenbass, I’m not so sure about. This time I judged by the name and ended up disappointed. I figured it would be a vibes-led band, probably a trio, with vibraphone taking lead backed by a slamming bassist and drummer. Instead a sax player ruled the proceedings, trotting out all the standard tenorman tropes—pitter-pattering runs, minor skronk, arched back, little shuffling dance steps. It reminded me too much of Tuatara, one of Skerik’s earliest groups from the mid-’90s, also a vibraphone-flaunting fusiony groove band. The whole affair would’ve been far more intersting if they were a trio, minus the sax. Vibraphone is a deliciously unusual sound, liquid and spacy, percussive but melodic. Sax is just sax. In this case it overshadowed what was clearly a very talented trio. Their best songs were their slowest, when the brassy histrionics were put on mute. I stuck around till the end of the night, but after the first 10 minutes I felt like I heard enough. Dudes should be called Das Saxenbass so people know what they’re getting.

It was great to see the supersupportive crowd that turned out for Vibenbass, but Industrial Revelation stole the show.

Comments (16)

Weird . . . when I saw Das Vibenbass (a couple years ago?) it was a bass/vibes duo. Guess they changed their lineup, but not their name to match.

Posted by Levislade | March 9, 2007 1:08 PM

Industrial Revelation are pure fire. Every time I've seen them they come >this

Posted by Beachhead | March 9, 2007 4:46 PM

The Drummer for Das Vibenbass is one of my employees and he's a jerk. Funny jerk but jerk none-the-less

Posted by Joh | March 9, 2007 11:01 PM

Agreed, the drummer is a jerk. But not quite as bad as the Vibraphone player. The Saxophone and bass player are alright though. . . . joking aside, DAS was "on point" and amazing. The Bass player ripped his fricken string off his bass on the last note of the oncore. And the whole set was captivating. I think the complete show was complimentary for the two bands. I will see both the groups again!

Posted by grace | March 10, 2007 2:39 AM

das vibe is the answer to bad music. they are exactly the opposite of standard so anybody that is looking to connect to a tune because it is a standard or, to go further looking for a standard sound, better look deep inside themselves to find out why they listen to music for and to find an identity in music. Das fills the void of unoriginal music. I thank them and what they bring music in general.

Posted by the D | March 10, 2007 3:22 AM

Wow, dude. I think you should get out more. Or maybe just stay away from Jazz.. it requires that you actually *listen*. If you HAD listened to more than one song from the first band, and 10 minutes from the second, then maybe you could give a proper review..... . . . . but if that is working out for you, then keep at it!

-peace-

Posted by Im sentimental | March 10, 2007 2:28 PM

You are the worst reviewer. You dedicate half your review to a band in which you heard one song from! One song! And then you gush on and on about how great they are, including how their rhythm section was superliminal(?).. subliminal? supraliminal?... What in God's name are you talking about? Seems as though you had no problem with the incorrect preconceived notion you had about their name... but Das on the other hand, with your dimwitted idea of what you wanted the group to be because of their name, made you focus on the appearance and neglect the content. Indust. Rev stole the show? You saw one song you moron.

Posted by Peaches | March 10, 2007 7:55 PM

I've seen Industrial Revelation a few times now and they've killed every time. The give and take energy they achieve with eachother and with the audience (particularly at Lo-fi) is phenomenal and gorgeous.

Haven't seen Das yet but they sound very cool. So much good music in town!

Posted by IR is the truth | March 11, 2007 12:23 AM

DAS est good! Same to the indusrial boys! But I have to say that Das stole the show. That's where the review went wrong. Das Vibenbass made me forget to order desert when they brought Tear's for Fears out of nowhere. for that I hate them. But for the Sax, Bass, Drum's, and Vibes, I love them!

Posted by music geek | March 11, 2007 3:39 AM

we all have our own idea to what music should be. how it should sound, how it should feel. and i respect that. but fuck, iíd have to say the entire night was simply beautiful. whether it being my first time seeing industrial revelation or seventeenth time seeing das vibenbass, i had a fucking great time (as did the rest of my company). nice work guys, canít wait to see whatís next.

Posted by ashley | March 11, 2007 4:06 AM

This commentary is kind of making me uncomfortable, let's change subject, what do all of you guys think of Fall Out Boy? They're kinda weird, huh?

Posted by Ahamefule J. Oluo | March 11, 2007 3:50 PM

Man, Fall Out Boy Rocks! Waay beter than these Industrial Whatevers :)

Posted by Ijeoma Oluo | March 12, 2007 9:30 AM

Sure was a pleasure to put on such an incredible show with Das Vibenbass. I know IR pays many respects for DV's efforts in hooking up such a sweet venue. We also couldn't have been so successful without the beautiful new music lovers that night...THANK YOU! I respect and appreciate the encouraging comments and opinons left, and think it's just great that there's actually a dialog (as opposed to a monolog of course) about live music in Seattle - Thank Jehbus! Let's keep Seattle stages buzzing with great new music! Peace. Fall Out Boy can suck it...just kidding. Get ready for Das Revelation Bitches!

Posted by Josh Rawlings | March 12, 2007 8:55 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about. New music, old music, red music, blue music. Music is so much fun to play when all of these folks are around writing about it, and letting the rest of the public reply. You all seem to care! seriously.......Fall Out Boy can Suck it! Hope to see you all again soon!

Posted by Geoff Larson | March 13, 2007 2:18 AM

If we're going to write about bands as images, I think it bears note that the bass player for Das Whateverwhosit has graced the cover of a certain leading off-road enthusiast magazine... Oh, and I feel lucky to have caught the show. Both bands were on point and holy shit the sound is good in that venue!

Posted by Greenweave | March 13, 2007 1:03 PM

The line-up was amazing. The sets were all amazing. The bands crushed. Das is a hard working group of musicians and I am so excited to see where they go next... this article, however, was a waste of time. It is too bad that this particular "music critic" was sent to the frontlines of this particular event. I am not impressed with mediocre name dropping and a big word here and there. We could have done with a better topic of conversation concerning these two very talented bands rather than setting the bar low with unsophisticated ranting about "what's in a name." Thank but no thanks, Johnathan Zwickel.

Posted by anna | March 15, 2007 8:12 AM