Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on White Stripes Do the Icky Shuffle Thump

i truly believe that jack white is one of contemporary music's most important artists. i am not kidding.

every white stripes show i have seen -- from the intimate confines of the old sit & spin and early SXSW parties to the huge setting of the gorge -- have been amazing.

well, except for that god-awful show at the seahawks exhibition center. i am still mad about the sound in that concrete bunker.

anyway, jack white's songwriting skills are fantastic, his guitar playing continues to blow my mind, and the production he did on loretta lynn's van lear rose is nothing short of spectacular. plus, those obscenely tight pants only enhance the zeppelin-esque filth the duo manages to channel. hellooooo, doctor.

Posted by kerri harrop | March 2, 2007 12:53 PM

I agree. Jack White is fucking brilliant and I believe this to be the most anticipated album of 2007. And if I were a believer, I'd pray to God every night for Jack to wear those obscenely tight pants on tour. I wonder what venue will host them this time around...unless I'm mistaken, they've never played the same one twice.

Posted by Red Wendy | March 2, 2007 1:31 PM

Dear god, Meg looks great in that outfit.

Posted by laterite | March 2, 2007 3:21 PM

jack white is a giant gimmicky pile of shit. he's the biggest working hack in music, and my generation's rabid purchasing and worship of his trite, frankly boring music has been a source of bewilderment and shame to me for years. his lyrics are awful nursery rhyme bullshit and his guitar work endlessly rips off the least interesting bands in history to rip off (led zeppelin, etc etc). his band and their carefully marketed and managed image reek of the kind of disingenous, mall-goth/emo/punk bullshit that currently dominates popular radio and music televsion, trends for which his band are the logical precursor to, and will be viewed by history as such. how many times does he need to be on the cover of spin for people to realize he shouldn't be taken seriously? do you think Panic At the Disco are "among contemporary music's most important artists" too? do you not see the analogue? give me a break. quit wasting your time and money on force-fed tripe cakes.
"gulping in your opium so copiously, everything you eat is waste, but swallowing is easy when it has no taste" - Andy Partridge

Posted by jordan | March 2, 2007 4:30 PM

Calm down Jordan. The Pussycat Dolls are bound to come out with a new album soon.

Posted by elswinger | March 2, 2007 5:25 PM

To each their own I suppose, but I think you're way off base here Jordan. I'm curious, who do you think are contemporary music's most important artists?

Posted by Red Wendy | March 2, 2007 5:32 PM

Jordan...if the White Strips aren't your cup of tea...maybe you should check out Mat and Kim. I think they might be right up your alley...music for tools.

Posted by Green Monkey | March 2, 2007 6:15 PM

The White Stripes are Blues Hammer from Ghost World.

Posted by Fawkes | March 3, 2007 10:32 PM