Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Best Song Ever (This Week): "Don't Touch My Bikini" by the Halo Benders

That song is completely rad. However, I remember when it came out my reaction was more, "what the fuck?" and I turned that shit off. For its time it was definitely a little too arty for the grungers and punks of the day.

Posted by Benji | April 13, 2007 1:21 PM

By the time I discovered the Halo Benders I was totally burnt out on punk (which for me had mostly meant Rancid, Green Day, and a host of hardcore bands that I saw live but didn't ever listen to that much). It was just the right transition into literally indie music that sonically wasn't quite punk. The whole indie/punk Doug/Calvin dynamic makes Halo Benders totally unique and enduring for me. Also, Calvin and Doug on the same stage is a wonder to behold.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 13, 2007 1:42 PM

johnson and marsch are the vocal equivalent of abbot and costello, one sorta thin reedy schoolboy and the other a big fat buffoon (im talking about their voices, not their appearances). as quirky and fun as their early stuff is, i think "the rebels not in" is really their classic, a bit more sophisticated and serious but still totally weird and unique.

that video is great. looks like boise was going berserk for that show. heres hoping the halo benders make it to seattle.

Posted by jz | April 13, 2007 2:19 PM

That song has been floating around my computer/iPod for a little while now, but I'm pretty sure I got it from a Paste sampler a year or so ago, so I didn't realize it was a mid-90's thing. Seems like a bit of a novelty song, but it is fun.

Posted by HaloBent | April 13, 2007 4:51 PM

this was my favorite song in 8th grade.

Posted by alithea | April 16, 2007 11:11 AM

Are the Halo Benders playing again? Love that band, I hope so.

Posted by bob | April 18, 2007 2:51 AM

and up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong while watching how his penis patches got wet at http://www.averagepenis.mysize.ws

Posted by penis patches | April 30, 2007 12:05 PM