« The Divorce to Break Up | Slather the Buffalo Musk »

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Capitol Hill Block Party Preliminary Lineup and Dates Announced

posted by on April 18 at 9:52 AM

From the press release:

BLOCK PARTY 2007 Dates Announced: Friday and Saturday Nights, July 27 - 28 2007 will be the best and biggest Block Party yet! Doors open at 3 pm on Friday, 1 pm on Saturday. The outdoor stages run until 11 pm, inside until 2 am.

FRIDAY July 27
Silversun Pickups
Girl Talk
Viva Voce
The Cave Singers
Grand Archives

SATURDAY July 28
Spoon
Aesop Rock
The Blakes
The Intelligence
The Whore Moans

If this is enough for you to buy tickets (AESOP ROCK!), you can get the early bird prices here, starting in five minutes. You just need the special password BLOCKPARTY. They are $15 a day.

Tight!

official "fuck yeah!" for girltalk and spoon.

Posted by alithea | April 18, 2007 10:48 AM

Ari, what are the regular-bird prices? Just curious.....

Posted by hell bound for leather | April 18, 2007 11:12 AM

Ari, according to this e-mail I just got, it's actually the "esurance Capitol Hill Block Party."

Nice. Excuse me while I go bang my head on something for a little while.

Posted by Levislade | April 18, 2007 11:28 AM

You know, it wasn't mentioned in the press release what the regular prices are going to be. It's not suprising--we don't know what Bumbershoot's are going to be either.

Yes, it is the esurance Capitol Hill Block Party, Levi. I've decided to ignore that for now and make a big deal about it later. But there is one thing I've always wondered about esurance-will the pink haired lady and the black haired man from the cartoons ever find eachother through the miasma of their busy modern super-lives?

Posted by Ari Spool | April 18, 2007 11:33 AM

That is truly a question for the ages . . .

I think the thing that bugs me most is, not only are they putting their name at the beginning of the event, but they're making us keep it lower case! Aaaggh!!! Are they trying to give copy editors migraines, or what?

Posted by Levislade | April 18, 2007 11:39 AM

wow. already better than bumbershoot. nice job!

Posted by music fan | April 18, 2007 11:54 AM

Almost as embarassing as the "esurance" addition to the Block Party's moniker is how it appears on the TicketsWest site: Capital Hill.

Posted by Explorer | April 18, 2007 11:58 AM

I think Bumbershoot is hell on earth but I've never been to the Capitol Hill Block Party. Please advise...is it a clusterfuck?

Posted by esurance Betty | April 18, 2007 12:30 PM

I went to both events last year and I enjoyed the CHBP crowd a lot more. A little squishy, but the vibe it totally different. You would think it would be worse, but somehow it just isn't.

Posted by Nay | April 18, 2007 2:14 PM

i also think the esurance people need to just bump uglies already then GTFO of my tv.

Posted by alithea | April 18, 2007 3:12 PM

No Keeper or SSS?

Posted by bobbie bland | April 18, 2007 4:41 PM

The block party should be FREE for all Capitol Hill residents!

Posted by Sylvie | April 18, 2007 4:52 PM

The block party should be FREE for all Capitol Hill residents!

Posted by Sylvie | April 18, 2007 4:53 PM

yeah, that's a great idea, don't pay the musicians for their time. While we're at it, could somebody please grill me a free hamburger, and could somebody please brew me a free beer?

Posted by musiciansrights | April 18, 2007 5:38 PM

for that matter, yes, everything should be free! communism is great! no sponsors, no charge, and we all live in community housing! I mean, this site is free, and no ads on here.

Posted by tbf | April 18, 2007 6:02 PM

Actually, it used to be free back in the day and I'm pretty sure that the sponsorships paid for the bands.

Posted by Red Wendy | April 18, 2007 11:19 PM

well, I was a Cap Hill res last time and it wasn't free, so I didn't go. Now, I live in Belltown, but with Aesop Rock on the bill, I might just have to finance it. He is the best poet working today. Absolutely. Take that up your tenured ass Seattle Poetry Festival.

Posted by Ryan Smilac | April 19, 2007 2:31 AM

does Aesop Rock rap well live? does anybody know? i thought he loved the "recluse" role and never left his house.

Posted by ndrwmtsn | April 19, 2007 11:37 AM

being new to seattle. I am completely happy to be a cap hill resident. I've been to bumbershoot, coachella, and warped tour. If you can't handle crowds, don't go. These things are festivals and being that its only $15, it should be a mad house. I can't wait.

Posted by jon | April 19, 2007 1:33 PM

red wendy - if you want a free festival, go to bite of seattle. It takes money to bring in national acts. And all bands deserve to get paid. Sponsorship dollars alone don't cover festival expenses. What was the bill when the block party was free? Do you remember anything cool? People use the same argument about Bshoot, and it's bogus. $15 is cheaper than most club shows. Fork it over.

Posted by musiciansrights | April 20, 2007 1:34 PM

Whoah man, direct yr hostility toward someone else! I was simply stating a fact. I love free shows (I miss Pain In The Grass!) but I don't think $15 for the Block Party is at all unreasonable.

Posted by Red Wendy | April 21, 2007 7:50 PM

and up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong while watching how his penis patches got wet at http://www.averagepenis.mysize.ws

Posted by penis patches | April 30, 2007 11:36 AM

Though I will be going both days, I have to say that, no, Aesop Rock does not rap well live.

Aesop's whole appeal is his chilled-out, polysyllabic monotone. When he plays shows he does the whole waving a towel around, rhyming double time and with the mic right up to his lips so you can't understand half of what he's saying. It will still be fun, but keep your expectations realistic.

Posted by Dakota | May 1, 2007 11:21 AM