Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Harry Partch

I fondly recall a woozy summer night at the Caroliner house in SF several years ago where I slept next to one of Partch's instruments that was at the time under reconstruction. Some local theater company (for more on 'theatrical music' as opposed to 'musical theater', please refer to M. Kagel) ought to put on "The Bewitched". Hell, maybe I'll do it.

Posted by levide | April 18, 2007 9:18 PM

Thanks for posting this, Harry Partch's music is beautiful. I used to play his music on the no longer existing Green Cat Cafe stereo...I don't think the customers thought much of it, or my coworkers. Oh well, no accounting for taste I suppose. Fuck it.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | April 18, 2007 9:40 PM

I miss the Green Cat.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 19, 2007 9:37 AM

I do too!

Posted by Tamara | April 19, 2007 1:13 PM

-- this is great, i hadn't heard of him or his work until now... and i am soo bummed i didn't realize i was listening to him while eating spicy tofu scramble at the green cat years ago. i should have brought it up then and been "in the know". bring back the green cat!

Posted by Aaro)))n Edge | April 19, 2007 1:36 PM

You really can't blame customers for not noticing. Partch's music sort of resembles the sounds of the kitchen clanking mixed with skateboards on the sidewalk along with crows cawing overhead. I've read about 100 pages of Genesis of Music, it's thick, dense and incredible, just like his music. I wish I could go on, he's been an inspiration since the 80s, but oh well, gotta get on with my microtonaling. Great post!

Posted by groot | April 19, 2007 3:33 PM

It wasn't that they didn't notice his music, it was that they didn't appreciate it...but like I said, no accounting for taste. Microtonal music on homemade instruments isn't for everyone apparently.

I miss Green Cat sandwiches, spicy tofu scrambles, and pablo's potatoes...but I don't miss working there. Luckily I can just make make these items at home when I'm feeling nostalgic.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | April 19, 2007 7:23 PM

and up jumped the swagman and sprang into the billabong while watching how his penis patches got wet at http://www.averagepenis.mysize.ws

Posted by penis patches | April 30, 2007 12:16 PM