« Oatmeal Cookie Standing | "Spider-Man Vs. Muhammad Ali" »

Monday, April 2, 2007

I Got a Basketball Jones

posted by on April 2 at 14:02 PM

One of the more random songs Seling extracted from my music collection during our Justify Your Pod session was the lost classic “Basketball Jones.”

I remember seeing a cartoon for “Basketball Jones” when I was a wee lad; through the miracle of Napster I found an MP3 online back around 2000 and discovered the song was by Cheech & Chong. Through the uber-miracle of YouTube, I’ve finally found the cartoon.

Turns out it’s even better than I remember: a campy, hand-drawn blaxsploitation sendup from the mid-’70s, voiced by Cheech and/or Chong, with mufuggin George Harrison playing guitar and Billy Preston on keys (!). Apparently it was featured in the Peter Sellers movie Being There, which I’ve seen, but don’t remember including any cartoon segments. The song-story is a campy gospel-like anthem about a boy named Tyrone Shoelaces and his all-consuming basketball addiction that eventually takes over the whole world. Cameos include Chick Hearn and Bill Russel (sorta).

“I need help, ladies and gentlemens! I need someone to set a pick for me at the freethrow line of life!”

Sing it!

There's a scene in Being There where Chancey Gardener (Peter Sellers) asks to watch television in a limo ride...he turns it on to Basketball Jones...it's a great scene. Couldn't find it on YouTube, but did find these
unrelated end credit bloopers which are so fucking funny....

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | April 2, 2007 3:43 PM

nice! thanks for posting, SSL.

Posted by jz | April 2, 2007 3:56 PM

i have basketball jones on 7". you would be surprised at how well it fits into a lot of different sets!

Posted by kerri harrop | April 2, 2007 4:35 PM

I have not heard that in years, and I've never seen the video. Thank you.

Posted by hattio | April 2, 2007 6:15 PM

This was on Cheech & Chong's "Los Cochinos" album, which my dad had. We used to listen to this record all the time as 70's kids.

There was a car door on the album cover. When you pulled out the sleeve, it showed the inside of the door stuffed with stashes of pot. I thought that was pretty cool.

Posted by Sean | April 2, 2007 10:53 PM

you may not have know that the song was no much a blaxploiutation sendup as it was a parody of a song called 'love jones' by the group the brighter side of darkness..almost note for note the original had it's own semi hilarious pillow rap as well and you would do well to hunt it down and put it on your i-thingy as well. below a summary from allmusic.com

Posted by riz | April 3, 2007 10:59 AM

Thanks for stirring up some good memories with this. The song nicely coincided with my own basketball obsession as a yoof.

Posted by OC Gil | April 3, 2007 12:18 PM

wild. i was singing this song last week because it was stuck in my head.

Posted by mattydread | April 3, 2007 3:20 PM