« The Locust @ Neumo's | Oatmeal Cookie Standing »

Monday, April 2, 2007

Justify Your Pod: Seling vs. Zwickel

posted by on April 2 at 13:25 PM

JonSpencer.jpg

Would you admit to liking this man’s music?

Jonathan Zwickel does. In fact, he thinks Jon Spencer is a “groovy demonic Elvis.” What else did I find in Zwickel’s otherwise bulletproof music collection? Well there’s some Tom Jones, Belle & Sebastian, Sufjan Stevens, and Cheech and Chong, which all leads him to admit to crushing on Gwen Stefani (sorta) and crying (again, sorta), and watching a lot of Sesame Street (for realz).

Click to listen and learn more about Zwickel and his music habits than you could ever care to.

Jon Spencer "groovy"...? Like Groovy Hate Fuck I'd reckon? Maybe! Oh, Jon Spencer...so, his light never shone as bright as when he was Pussy Galore. (sigh)...um, aside from their crappy alt.hip hop attempts why would JSBE need to be justified?

Posted by nipper | April 2, 2007 2:05 PM

Because I hate them. Especially for their alt.hiphop attempts.

Posted by Megan Seling | April 2, 2007 2:11 PM

pls describe the aforementioned "alt.hiphop attempts."

if youre referring to their last album w dan the automator and dj shadow producing, that was them taking on spencers sound, not vice versa.

Posted by jz | April 2, 2007 2:26 PM

jz should be fired. "for realz."

Posted by little bird | April 2, 2007 3:21 PM

hey little bird, you must be a tom jones fan too! right on!

Posted by jz | April 2, 2007 3:31 PM

Ok, Little Bird, lets fire him. We make you the music editor. Under the eyes of your microscopically ultra jade, how long do you give yourself before You get fired?

I love how people (or a person) write in and say how they miss Jennifer Maerz. Well, Jennifer Maerz sucked ass. She wrote about the Spits and the Girls, like every issue. IT GOT TIRED AS HELL. And she got her shit fired.

Lets put you in the hot seat little bird. You and your lame scard ass would last about 2 minutes.

I get so fucking sick of you people that write in and say this sucks or that sucks. But you don't back up your shit. You don't add anything. You don't really have anything to say.

Posted by untamed | April 2, 2007 3:40 PM

for the record, untamed, maerz wasnt fired, she took a job in san francisco.

Posted by jz | April 2, 2007 3:59 PM

But she was on her way out and everyone knew it. I always thought she got canned. Did she really leave on her own? Come on.

Posted by untamed | April 2, 2007 4:05 PM

Oh gimme a break, untamed. It was a sarcastic jab (that was taken quite well!) and not once have I posted about Jennifer Maerz. Way to whip out the old hypothetical "you're the music editor" scenario...that game's not tired.

Posted by little bird | April 2, 2007 5:57 PM

the alt.hip hop attempts (that Beck track and then Fuk Shit Up!?) were the dribbled bits up until they were realized on Acme (Talkin' Bout The Blues, Lovin' Machine...the bottom end on that LP was filled with some "urban" hope, they shoulda made a proper funk record as a different band). I never bought the last JSBE LP, nor any of the remix crap, I heard a couple songs and knew the band had lost track, they should have split prior to Acme, or at least quit recording to save face. Oh well, I guess they were always great live, and up till Acme fucking brilliant! My copy of Acme, BTW, outta the plastic came with a big fat SCRATCH across the wax...quite telling it was.

Thing is is wasn't the FIRST time Spencer had made honkey hip hop, Pussy Glaore could layer samples and throw down to make such HATEFUL beauty, the shit was angry and pointed, so could Royal Trux, early on, and Neil Hagerty is 99.9% pure HATE (hmmm, maybe Hagerty WAS the spine of PG then). But JSBE's alt.slip slop was too much of a "party" piss takes till Acme and then came the producers record. At that point it was self parody, and well...abandoned. But then I guess as JSBE were taken on by producers, it wasn't JSBE and therefore is not to be justified, in context w/Mr. JZ's pod.

woo woo

Posted by nipper | April 2, 2007 9:45 PM

I agree with Nipper about Pussy Galore & Royal Trux. I was never able to work up as much enthusiasm for the JSBE. I liked the first couple of records, but lost interest after that. Great live show, though, the one time I caught 'em (at RCKNDY back in the day). The Theremin was a nice touch.

Posted by Kathy Fennessy | April 2, 2007 11:32 PM

truly badass live show, yeah.

ah, youre talking about "experimental remixes," nipper? again, those werent his attempts at anything, those were other artists doing their own work to jsbx tracks. and i will say this: the moby remix of "greyhound" is pretty sweet, and the killah priest outtro on that track actually works.

im no apologist for jsbx though. i wrote an honest review of the last album for pitchfork that spells it all out:

Posted by jz | April 3, 2007 10:16 AM

uh, no, I said...."that Beck track and then Fuk Shit Up!?) were the dribbled bits up until they were realized on Acme (Talkin' Bout The Blues, Lovin' Machine." All those tracks were all pre-Damage. I quit JSBE w/Acme...I didn't bother with the remixes 'cause I don't like remixes, I get really bored by that shit.

Posted by nipper | April 3, 2007 11:40 AM