« Easy Street West Seattle to Ho... | Detroit's The Scene »

Friday, April 20, 2007

Modest Beginnings

posted by on April 20 at 12:54 PM

We’ve just dug up, from the vault of Strangers published before the internet, one of the earliest things written about Modest Mouse—and also one of the earlier pieces written for The Stranger by then-music editor Kathleen Wilson. It’s her account of hanging out with them for an afternoon in 1996, when they were still in high school.

Here’s a random excerpt from a scene at a llama farm:

Isaac knows how to tell the difference between the “ladies” and the “men” among the llamas; according to his theory, it has something to do with the length of the necks. He cautions me to not get too close to the matted beasts, claiming a llama can hock a loogie backed with enough velocity to knock me flat on my ass. Because his llama-blend cardigan creates a certain solidarity with the beasts, Jeremy walks right up to a big ol’ “man,” offers him some grass, and escapes unbesmirched.

The whole thing’s here. Note the photo. All together now: “Awwww.”

mm220.jpg

whatever happened to kathleen wilson?

Posted by josh | April 20, 2007 2:21 PM

I'm not censoring Modest Mouse, but Tullycraft, from humble Seattle 12 years ago, have such a darn neat blog with amazing music everyday and interesting comments, I just felt like plugging it.

Posted by groot | April 20, 2007 2:29 PM

imagine the Stranger without the internet.

Posted by ui | April 20, 2007 6:28 PM

I have a fond memory of seeing them play in a basement on Capitol Hill right around the time that article was written (yes, the ultimate "I knew them when" cliche - "I saw them play in a basement, man!" - but no joke, it really was the basement of some punk rock house over on Interlaken). If someone had told me then that one day they would have the #1 selling album in the country, and Johnny Marr would be their guitarist, I'd probably have backed slowly away and then called a local mental health agency on their behalf.

Posted by R | April 20, 2007 9:31 PM

Unless The Stranger was published prior to 1969, there were no "Strangers published before the internet." And actually, considering I can remember stumbling on those first 8 page editions (or whatever they were) in Pagliacci's when I had already been emailing for over a decade, I know there weren't. Heck, 1996 doesn't even predate the web.

Though I guess you might mean "before The Stranger had any existence on the internet."

Posted by Joe | April 21, 2007 1:02 AM

it is the greatest site i have ever seen!
MOlodeLL Ho 9 He Xo4y 6bITb He}I{uBbIM!
Ja Krevetko!