« Black Power, Muppet-style | Love Will Tear Us Apart... »

Tuesday, April 3, 2007

New Weakerthans Album

posted by on April 3 at 11:45 AM

weakerthans.jpg

Everyone’s favorite post-Propaghandi indie folk punk country band, the Weakerthans, are hitting the studio to record their first record in nearly five years, due out in the fall. The band is recording the currently untitled album in the “quiet, tranquil surroundings of Winnipeg” (“One Great City”) with its “slaughterhouses, industrial sites, and sub-degree temperatures” as well in Toronto. I’m excited.

Their last record, Reconstruction Site is probably my least favorite Weakerthans record, but that’s not saying much, and it has more to do with where I was at when it came out than with the quality of the record itself. It’s a winningly ambitious album, containing a touching triptych song cycle about a dying relative, as well as a song written from the perspective of John K Samson’s cat and a last-call ode to Antarctic explorer Shackleton.

The only reason it’s not my favorite Weakerthans record is because Fallow and Left and Leaving hit me at the perfect post-collegiate, deflated anarchist moment in my life for me to get caught up in Samson’s romantic, politically-informed lyricism. I literally hung my Evergreen diploma on my first shitty Seattle apartment’s bathroom wall, as per Samson’s manifesto, “Confessions of a Futon Revolutionist”. I think I lost that diploma in some move or other, but I still have a home-taped cassette of Left and Leaving around here somewhere.

At their best, on the aforementioned tracks and ones like the elevating “Watermark”, the New Order biting “Wellington’s Wednesdays”, and ballad “My Favorite Chords”, the Weakerthans are transcendentally sappy, pairing Samson’s soft-spoken poetry with tumbling power chords or weepy steel guitar as fits the mood. Solid mixtape gold.

Reconstruction Site was little older, and perhaps a little more uneven than either of the previous Weakerthans records, but it’s still a fantastic album, and it resonates with me more as time goes by. A new record from the Weakerthans is great news.

Left and Leaving was the album I would put in my Discman and wander around Seattle listening to while in my post-college funk, as well.

Reconstruction Site is a great album too. The songs are a bit more accessable i.m.o.

I'm sure the new album will be like peppermints in my ears.

Posted by The_Pope_Of_Chili_Town | April 3, 2007 3:35 PM

'none of the above' stands firmly as one of the best songs to ever exist.

fuck you, 'war pigs'.

Posted by alithea | April 4, 2007 12:48 PM

also, i do not care how ~*~*~EMO~*~*~ loving the weakerthans makes me. it just expresses how i feel when im sad, guyz. ;_;

they are such an awesome band and THEY USE A WHIRLY THING. the thing! the plastic tube thing! that gets swung round and makes the eerie ghost noise!

Posted by alithea | April 4, 2007 12:53 PM

From a Weakerthans interview on punrockacademy.com:

Steve: Ah, the whirly-wind. The whirly-wind is not something you probably would remember from your record listening days because it's probably something you would remember from a childhood toy. People know of it, it's not that elusive or as eccentric as some people might think it is. It's on a Dirty Three record and that's where I know it from. They play it much better than we do, but that instrumentation finds its way into the band because our drummer, let's give him credit for it, he's a tinkerer. If it makes a noise, he kind of brings it into the rehearsal space, which we don't have right now, and usually his drums are holding back a wash of gadgets and gizmos that are kind of overflowing. He has them on little stands all around him and he picks them up and hits them so he brings that stuff in. He originally started playing the whirly-wind in that song as we were writing it last winter.

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 4, 2007 1:05 PM

oh so it has a -name-! i will no longer have to attempt to replicate its noise when i explain that song to people.

Posted by alithea | April 4, 2007 3:14 PM