Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on Some More Andrew W.K. Comparison Pictures

The second picture looks like Carl Barat from the Libertines and Dirty Pretty Things.

Posted by Gabriel | April 10, 2007 2:59 PM

Did you see this at his Wikipedia entry:

Rumors claim that "Andrew W.K." is an actor, a "front man" hired to play the role and perform the A.W.K. music and that before there was an "Andrew W.K.," the press was holding interviews with a "Steev Mike," whose image and sound are the same as "Andrew W.K."

The first appearance of "Steev Mike" was inside the pages of the UK magazine "Dazed & Confused." An issue from early 2000 allegedly featured a full-page story on "Steev Mike," but it's nearly impossible to find this back issue.

Andrew himself has been conspicuously silent on the matter.

Posted by Gabriel | April 10, 2007 3:11 PM

Oops, that was supposed to be all in block quotes.

Posted by Gabriel | April 10, 2007 3:12 PM

yeah, we saw that, and eric noted it in a previous post. isn't this odd?

Posted by Ari Spool | April 10, 2007 3:12 PM

Here's a link to him being interviewed on by Ian Svenonius on his Soft Focus show. He seems like a real snoozer. Definately by far the least interesting guest so far.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | April 10, 2007 3:31 PM

Um...enough already? Many readers of this blog really don't care about this guy. At all. Third-rate footnote at best.

Posted by Mattydread | April 10, 2007 3:57 PM

I'll start out by saying I don't give two figgs about this guy, but I did follow some of the links and found this:

None of it makes any goddam sense, but the idea that AWK could be some kind of super cryptographer genius makes me question my belief in life itself. Itís like the Matrix but with stupid music and people I donít care aboutÖ so I guess itís exactly like the Matrix.

Posted by The_Pope_Of_Chili_Town | April 10, 2007 4:05 PM

Mattydread: I don't care about andrew wk much either. But- if this wasn't the real guy, should the people who went to see him get their money back? were they defrauded? should the promoter get his money back? these are interesting questions.

Posted by Ari Spool | April 10, 2007 4:08 PM

What sucks about blogs is how if you don't like an entry you have to scroll down to get to the next one...my finger hurts!

Posted by Eric Grandy | April 10, 2007 4:14 PM

Yeah, that was by far the worst performance I've ever seen, knowing it's an imposter makes sense. Getting money back (not that I'm expecting it or anything), sounds nice too.
the performance: plays one song on keyboard, sings one, plays another on keyboard, hang bangs for 3 songs, done.

Posted by cliff rancho | April 11, 2007 8:24 AM

This guy was a footnote from the first note. Check the cut out bins lately?

Imposter? Real deal? Either way it's ironic shit, and trying to find some "controvery" in it is only serving to justify why you suggested him in the first place.

Posted by Whatevs | April 11, 2007 10:22 AM

You're right, interesting questions. I don't know if there's a legal contract when you buy a concert ticket. I recall when Pearl Jam played that fuck-Ticketmaster tour--in Golden Gate Park, SF, they cut their set short after 30 minutes because Eddie was having stomach pains. Neil Young took over and played the remainder. Did anybody get their money back? Nope.

Fortunately, you can spread the word and nobody will buy tickets for his next tour and he'll disappear into oblivion where he belongs. We hope.

Posted by MattyDread | April 11, 2007 12:05 PM

Even if ticket-buying isn't a contract (and ticketgoers still got Flosstradamus and a fun party other than the performance), the promoter definitely had a written contract, and paid out a good amount of money. I think he would have recourse for legal action.

Posted by Ari Spool | April 11, 2007 12:49 PM

all of you people complaining about AWK's music clearly haven't listened to Close Calls With Brick Walls, his Japan only album from last year. he's a demented genius.

Posted by Al | April 11, 2007 12:51 PM

does that album actually exist???
just who's paying you to post here, mr al?
(i'm mostly joking....)

Posted by erin | April 11, 2007 1:53 PM

Dear Ari,

I was on the tour with Andrew. I met you at the club while I was hanging merch, remember? I was very interested in yr video projects and all ages show academy thing yr involved in.

Having read yr review/account of the 4/6 party @ Chop Suey i would like to point out a few things.

First, if Andrew seemed "out of it" think about it. Certainly you've toured, you know how draining it can get. And at Andrew's level it's even more so. Add to the long drives and late nights with little sleep, radio/press interviews, speaking engagements, marathon fan meet-and-greets, hours and hours everynight/day/morning spent updating website, myspace, answering fan emails/comments/messages---NO ONE IS MORE COMMITTED TO THEIR FANS IN THESE RESPECTS THAN ANDREW. Not to mention a myriad of other projects he is involved in and must keep up with. I've never knoiwn a harder working rock star than Andrew. And remember, the man went about this tour all DIY. Did you happen to see him hanging his own backdrop? You did see him get the merch area set-up, right? And after-all the man DID FIND THE TIME TO TAKE PART IN YR VIDEO PROJECT, RIGHT? I mean my gosh, what exactly do you expect from people?

Not ready to party? Were YOU ready to party at 6:00pm? You made these assessments during soundcheck. As I recall, you were not at the actual party, as you had committments elsewhere.

Ari, I remember you. You have a lot of good energy and ideas. I liked yr vibe. Punk rock hula-hoops, huh? Well, cool. Good for you doing fun creative stuff. Keep up the good work. I think its great and you have my support.

To you and the good people of Seattle; remember. It takes more energy to be negative than it does to be positive. Dont support the laws of diminishing returns.

Sincerely and with love and respect,

Douglas Anson

Posted by douglas anson | April 20, 2007 3:08 PM

Right on Doug!

I pretty much agree with Al about Close Calls With Brick Walls. That's a pretty fantastic album. You can listen to it on AWK's site. Just go to the Music section.

My fav's on there are Pushing Drugs, I Wanna See You Go Wild, the endearing song One Brother, Las Vegas Nevada and The Background.

Andrew has some big time talent and its obvious from this album that he can take his creativity into different musical areas and do well.

Posted by Quinn | April 23, 2007 10:24 AM

Here's an extremely interesting link I found today.

The most interesting line follows, and makes it sound like there are in fact two Andrews:

"It's ironic that my new album included a reference to our rela7ionship, yet AWK inc. is sending a new, fresher and unconvincingly younger representative to Japan to promote it."

Posted by Eric | April 27, 2007 8:59 AM