« Yacht Added To LCD Soundsystem... | Did You Miss Coachella? »

Monday, April 30, 2007

The Explosion Broke Up; The Explosion Says I’m an Asshole

posted by on April 30 at 15:31 PM

explosion.jpg

According to punknews.org, the Explosion has broken up. The band posted this message on their MySpace blog earlier today:

After nearly nine years of rocking and rolling with you all, we The Explosion have decided to disband. We would like to thank each and every one of our fans who have supported us through this time. We made some great friends along the way, a few mistakes, but all and all we had one hell of a great time doing it. Thanks again!

Now this wouldn’t usually be significant to me because, well, I don’t like the Explosion enough to care whether or not they’re around, but I also don’t hate them enough to laugh at/celebrate their demise.

I only mention it because it gives me the opportunity to share this story with you:

I once wrote about the Explosion for this paper. The U&C opened with the query “Does not liking the Explosion make me an asshole?” Then I proceeded to say “…the Explosion has always just been a punk rock cover band (even if they do write their own songs). They’re great at what they do, but what they do just ain’t great enough.”

Yeah, harsh toke, bros.

Clearly unhappy with my opinion, the band responded to my rhetorical question from the stage at their Neumo’s show that week. I wasn’t there to witness it, but a couple friends were and according to them the band had a copy of the paper on stage and they confirmed that yes, not liking the Explosion does indeed make me an asshole. People cheered.

The Explosion think I’m an asshole. The Explosion is no longer a band.

I win.

good for you

Posted by a | April 30, 2007 3:39 PM

Yeah, I remember this. I have to say in their defense that I've always found the occasional negative U&C to be a very strange phenomenon. Why choose to highlight a show only to say negative things about it? I don't know much about journalism or how the paper works, so maybe there's a perfectly legit reason. I would love to know.

Also, maybe the Explosion broke up (and you didn't, I guess, since you're a person), so point to you, but I somehow doubt they remember your blurb, where you obviously do remember being responded to publicly, so point to them. I say you guys are even.

Posted by Levislade | May 1, 2007 11:01 AM

i don't even like this band but at least they got off their asses and tried to create something, rather than sitting back and passing judgement on what others have created, which doesn't take a whole lot of time, effort or skill. hard to say you won when you're not even in the game.

Posted by slew | May 1, 2007 12:14 PM

Wow. Don't you have a myspace blog for this sort of thing like everyone else? I don't even know who the Explosion are, but I say "booooo" to you. Between this sort of pointless negativity and Erica C. Barnett's lazy, ill informed anti-viaduct coverage I can barely even look at your paper anymore. Come on, Strangler!!

Posted by Jenn | May 1, 2007 2:52 PM

Hello everyone, wanna be part of some kind of community, possible here? anyone here?

Posted by Buy best antivirus | May 10, 2007 1:53 PM