« Tommie Sunshine's Secret | Gyrational »

Friday, May 25, 2007

Battles, “Atlas”

posted by on May 25 at 14:02 PM

The odds are against this video on this day:

A. It’s a warm afternoon the Friday before a three-day weekend. You should be playing hooky outside.

and

B. This video’s been out a few months already.

That said, you gotta watch this shit. If you’re unfamiliar with Battles, the post-meta double-helix droid rock supergroup, time to dig in. I’m currently writing a review of their debut Mirrored and that ridiculous hyphen-fest above is the best I’ve come up with to describe their sound. It’s pure awesome, and the video is proof. So even though it’s unlikely anyone will see this today, it must be posted.

Of course Battles, if you need any backstory, Jonathan, Ian Williams and I go way back, intermittently. He stayed at our (jeff chris and i-tullycraft) apt when he was playing in Storm and Stress. We actually were a one practice part of a very difficultly conceptualized math, or call it calculus rock, Zorn math CuteKaos theoreemathology. me, him and the owner of Pop Bus Records (get it? sub pop reverse). Don cab, baby. Boy, was that a hilarious, sort of, set with Wimp factor Fourteen. Signs like "WIMP OUT" were undeniable.

Posted by Garrett | May 25, 2007 2:34 PM

Well, at least there's one good thing to come of being inside right now. This is good stuff. A Helmet, a Braxton, and a Caballero? Zow.

And it seems they're streaming their whole album on the myspace!

Posted by Levislade | May 25, 2007 2:35 PM

i'm so psyched to go to see these guys at pitchfork! BE JEALOUS, I DEMAND IT.

Posted by Ari Spool | May 25, 2007 2:42 PM

How 'bout I just go see 'em at the Croc on July 5th and we call it even?

Posted by Levislade | May 25, 2007 2:46 PM

Very cool.

Where can I get some oviduct around here?

Posted by trent moorman | May 25, 2007 2:54 PM

@3 - jealous of an over-populated music festival? Not really. You should be jealous of those of us attending BATTLES at the Croc.

Posted by jjj | May 25, 2007 3:01 PM

NO WAY because at Pitchfork I will also get to watch Yoko Ono watch Battles. Also, seeing shows outside in Chicago, where I never go, will be better than seeing them inside at the Croc, where I always go. BE JEALOUS

Posted by Ari Spool | May 25, 2007 3:13 PM

at first i thought that song was gonna be awesome, but then i felt myself losing life as it progressed on and on and on and on.

Posted by buynk | May 25, 2007 3:26 PM

that's totally the guitar line and drum line from mm's "the beautiful people"!

Posted by mera | May 25, 2007 3:28 PM

yea @11, you're right, but at least their ripping off from an original.

Posted by trentdawg | May 25, 2007 3:29 PM

I've been digging this squirmy number for months. It gets stuck in your head, even though the vocals are... wait, are those even vocals? The Cocteau Twins are spinning in their graves, I bet.

Posted by Jason Josephes | May 25, 2007 3:32 PM

Check it out, Ari and JJJ are totally battling about Battles!

Posted by Eric Grandy | May 25, 2007 3:39 PM

Trentdawg is not me. Just saying.

Posted by trent moorman | May 25, 2007 3:45 PM

I WILL BATTLE YOU ABOUT OUR BATTLES BATTLE

Posted by Ari Spool | May 25, 2007 3:46 PM

when tweedle beetles battle, its called a tweedle beetle battle.

when tweedle beetles battle in a puddle, its called a tweedle beetle puddle battle.

and when tweedle beetles battle in a puddle with a paddle, its called a tweedle beetle puddle paddle battle.

thats some dr suess fo yo ass.

Posted by jz | May 25, 2007 3:54 PM

yeah, finally got to watching the vid. pretty sure that's Ian in the white shirt. i guess we bith have that gene:mutarded//nationfix for multi-instrumentaling. he was a monster drummer until he battled, noooo, they're friends, i think? Damon from Don Cab. Sludgehammer was his drumming gig! great T-Shirts! ask him about it. ask him about me. ask him about KEX Puke.

Posted by Garrett | May 25, 2007 4:53 PM

Why does this song sound SO familiar? Has someone already appropriated it for a commercial or something? I haven't listened to the album yet, and can't place where else I would have heard the track...

Posted by bailee. | May 25, 2007 5:20 PM

Why does this song sound SO familiar?

Maybe because the rhythm's very similar to Gary Glitter's "Rock & Roll, Pt. 2," which is played at many sports arenas/stadia, and the tune recalls some Carl Stalling cartoon music. Just tossing some ideas out there...

Posted by oye como va | May 26, 2007 1:20 AM

I don't hear the Gary Glitter at all. Many bands have used that glam rock beat: Sweet, T. Rex, Slade, etc.

I like the song, but why does Braxton have to sound like a chipmunk? His voice alone would have made the song a lot better.

Posted by matthew fisher wilder | May 26, 2007 10:46 PM