« M.I.A. Cancels Sasquatch Appea... | Dyme Def, Featured Artist on M... »

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Pinocchio at Nelsen Middle School, not KISS

posted by on May 22 at 10:46 AM

I went to Nelsen Middle School in Renton, WA to see the band KISS, but got a performance of Pinocchio instead.

According to Miss Goodman, Kiss stands for Keep it Simple Silly, not Knights in Satan’s Service.

There was a Dr. Love, but she’s the vice principle:

You rock Trent. KISS was explained to me a few years ago by someone at Aurafice Cafe in Pike/Pine area. I fit it into a song I previously posted on my Vox page. An older alternate version is up there now. I much prefer your telling of it as 'silly' rather than the way i heard it 'stupid.'

Posted by Garrett | May 22, 2007 11:37 AM

That's some funny stuff!!

Posted by eric howarth | May 22, 2007 11:37 AM

I hate when that happens. You go to an elementary school to see Kiss and you get some play. Same thing happened to me with Alice in Wonderland.

Posted by rabbit | May 22, 2007 11:42 AM

So wait... did Kiss open for Pinocchio?
Pinocchio's pyro was weak.

Posted by Pico D | May 22, 2007 11:47 AM

You have gotta be kidding me that there is a Dr. Love. Great shot, Trent. Epic, sort of.

Posted by ralph | May 22, 2007 11:56 AM

Charlie makes a cameo.

Posted by miss brame | May 22, 2007 12:04 PM

Who's nose grew? KISS? Charlie's? Trent on the Middle School route is a good thing. Could you catch the We Are the World Performance at Broadview Thompson next Friday? Ramones are scheduled...Tante

Posted by tante | May 22, 2007 1:06 PM

No no, Gene Simmons tongue grew.

Posted by herms | May 22, 2007 1:15 PM

2 words - Vinnie Vincent. Where is Vinnie Vincent when you need him. For this Pinocchio show i think they played mostly stuff of Destroyer.

Posted by army | May 22, 2007 3:03 PM

Trent is the bridge which holds the generations together. Without the visionary we are just wood.
I'm lying.

Posted by knasty | May 22, 2007 3:49 PM

Where would we be without Vinnie Vincent. I hate to think about it. I think it's actually his nose that grew after he sped up guitar solos.

Posted by vv army | May 22, 2007 4:51 PM

Puppet Show
&
Spinal Tap

Posted by Paulus | May 22, 2007 5:27 PM

Rush is playing soon, aren't they? Trent we know you loves you some Rush. What about a little G. Lee puppetry?

I like how the girl at the beginning raises her hand when she knows the KISS song like she's in class.

Excellent work, professor Trenty.

Posted by gunner | May 22, 2007 7:26 PM

Oh my God there IS a Dr Love!!! That is beautiful.

Posted by gunner | May 22, 2007 7:44 PM

These Gen Z kids needs some ejukashun. Trent you should take them Kiss meets the phantom of the park for their American film class.

Posted by Jackie Chan | May 23, 2007 9:58 AM

Trent - Whoever the poster was who christened you the "bridge between generations" was right on. The Eighties don't get a lot of respect, but there was a lot of musical experimentation and technological development that occurred in our era that was remarkable. The problem is that none of kids today have heard any of it. It is awesome that you are around to bring it to them. A couple of observations:

- Our generation has taken over the advertising industry. I see more and more commercials that use cool contemporary music - car ads featuring M Ward and Modest Mouse - and hip previous-generation music - T. Rex and The The
for instance. The other day I saw a Volvo commercial that used a song by The Feelies as background music. That's a band that played numerous times in the basement of my fraternity house, and not many people had ever heard them
even back then.

- Big bands from our generation had more staying power than previous or subsequent generations - REM, U2, The Stones, Bon Jovi, etc. I feel like
there are few bands today that stay around very long. Part of the problem is the record companies get their quick buck and then spit them out. Our
collective attention spans are shorter as well. How many Maroon 5s and Franz Ferdinands can we go through? When you get down to it, these bands are
record company concepts that just have no substance.

- The past is never out of reach these days. YouTube is the greatest invention ever (next to the capo). I can dial up performances from just
about any band I ever listened to. The Feelies, for instance, are one of my all-time favorite bands, and as obscure as they were I can find numerous old
and more recent video clips on YouTube. I had a friend in college who had a videotape with all the videos from The Cure's Staring At The Sea. They are
incredible videos and I was mesmerized by them at the time. Well, they are pretty much all on YouTube now. I just wish the video quality of YouTube was
better - but that will come.

- Kiss Alive II was the first album my parents ever gave me. It definitely went against their better judgment, but they could tell how much it meant to
me. I got it for Christmas when I was about 10 years old, at my grandmother's apartment in Columbus, Ga. I remember playing it right away on
the built-in record-player cabinet in her living room. The picture of Gene spitting blood really freaked everybody out. God, I loved that album so
much. Only later did I acquire Kiss Alive I, which I thought was much rawer, but still incredible. My mother thought the letter on the inside jacket from
Ace to us Earthlings was perverted.

- You are doing a great service by sharing the musical genius of our generation. Keep up the good work!

Posted by jd | May 25, 2007 2:31 AM