« Common Market & Grayskul Join ... | Lead Singer Of Blueboy Dead »

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The New Smashing Pumpkins Song: Unremarkable

posted by on May 23 at 13:25 PM

Dear Billy Corgan,

We learned by listening to Gish, and again by listening to Siamese Dream, that you were a badass guitar shredder—you love the guitar solo, you love the guitar, we’ve loved you for that.

So why, then, with your new song “Trantula,” do you have to shove the guitar down our fucking throats? There’s way too much wankery here, dude. Way too much. We got it 10 years ago. Now it just looks/sounds desperate.

Sincerly,
Megan

The song is currently on YouTube. Check it out before they take it down (and ignore the montage of Billy’s bald head).

I think Billy Corgan is a major dork, I only liked Gish, and think his lyrics are juvenille embarrassing crap...but I think the guitar playing on this track is pretty killer, I dig the nasally lead tone. If this is wankery, I guess I'm a fan. It'd be a lot cooler if his annoying vocals were removed though.

Posted by d'arcy | May 23, 2007 1:34 PM

First, my dog knows more about music, and anything's better than Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings. Second, the problem is that the Silversun Pickups copped SP's sound. Lazy Eye is a decent song (w/ marginal Veruca Salt vocals), but Corgan deserves the writing credit.

Posted by anom | May 23, 2007 1:36 PM

i think you nailed it, megan: the song is overstuffed w guitar. the writing itself is good, i like the chorus, and corgans voice sounds good, but theres just too much pyrotechnics overshadowing the rest of it.

@2, spot-on about silversun pickups co-opting the pumpkins sound. id take gish/siamese dream over any silversun, any day.

Posted by jz | May 23, 2007 1:39 PM

I liked Gish and some of Siamese Dream, but as Stephen Malkus so aptly put it:

"Out on tour with the Smashing Pumpkins.
Nature kids, they don't have no function.
I don't understand what they mean, and I could really give a fuck." - Range Life

Posted by elswinger | May 23, 2007 4:03 PM

Ironic that Malkmus himself has become somewhat of a guitar "wanker" himself the last few years. But then he's so cool he can do whatever he wants 'cause.....he's so cool or something. Wank on everybody.

Posted by billy corgan toupee | May 23, 2007 5:17 PM

BILLY CORGAN DID IT

Posted by ripkurt420 | May 23, 2007 5:57 PM

shut up and play yer guitar

Posted by ghost hand | May 23, 2007 6:58 PM

My decision to stop listening to them after Siamese Dream still feels like the right choice.

Posted by what a shame... | May 23, 2007 8:33 PM

It's really only the one guitar track that sucks. It's too hair metal of a solo. The rest feels a little stuffed, as well.

Siamese Dream was so good because he married shoegazing guitar with seventies metal/prog (absent disarm which was maudlin shit). But without the etheral guitars he's uninteresting.

Posted by missedseattle | May 23, 2007 9:05 PM

#2&3,
Let the Silversun Pickups rip off the sound of the (early) pumpkins all they want. Why? Because they do it better! Write them off after they name an album Melancholy and The Infinite Sadness! Fuck Corgan in his Courtney Love Ass! This song sounds like Queens of the Stone Age dipped in diarrhea.

Posted by Colin | May 24, 2007 11:17 AM

It's a cool song. But why are they being compared to recent bands? It's ridiculous. This is the Pumpkin's sound, and if anything, they are the ones being ripped off.

And to #8, you've made a bad choice. You could at least pick up Mellon Collie instead of depriving yourself of great music (and maybe Aeroplane Flies High too)

#10 lol.

Also, the solo's really cool. You all have the right to your opinions, I just think that most of you are digging too deep / thinking a little too hard.

Okay, I have to cover comment #1 as well - Your comments are juvenile crap. Grow up.

Posted by dave | May 27, 2007 11:14 AM

It's not that bad, it's better then half the crap that comes out now adays. Rap is crap

Posted by Joseph | May 28, 2007 7:39 PM