« Reminder: Broken Disco Tonight | Hall & Oates to Play Seattle »

Friday, May 11, 2007

You Are Invited by Anyone

posted by on May 11 at 16:12 PM

The Dismemberment Plan’s “You Are Invited” is the Best Song Ever (This Week).

What I love the most about this song is the little angry computer noises that appear around the two-minute mark. It sounds like mad robot bugs talking to each other. It continues to get a louder for 25 seconds or so, and then the song—which has so far remained pretty monotone with a repetitive drum machine beat—goes boom! And the drums kick in and it explodes into this great rock song.

Then there are “oooOOoooh”s and this quick melodic guitar riff, and then it settles back down into the repetitive drum beat. It’s so catchy and fun to dance to, you know, at my house… when no one is looking.

The Dismemberment Plan’s singer, Travis Morrison, also has a really magnetic voice and personality. I interviewed him once for Copper Press magazine. I was probably 19 or 20 years old—it was a long time ago. We talked about cooking and funk music and mix tapes made by fans, and by the end of our chat I sorta wanted to marry him. Sadly, I can’t really back his solo album, Travistan. But I do still love the D-Plan.

The band recently reunited for a couple shows in Washington D.C., and if I didn’t have work (and an empty bank account), I would’ve been there. I’m sorry to have missed it. I bet they played this song, and I bet is was incredible.

I couldn’t find a proper (and legal) MP3 to post, but I did find this live performance of the song that was taken during their last Seattle show at Graceland in 2003. I was there, and I was singing along with everyone else. I probably even danced.

The sound isn’t perfect, but you get the idea. And if you really wanna hear the version from Emergency & I, e-mail me. I’ll send it to you.

Ok, Megan, you need to stop RIGHT NOW!! You keep picking MY Best Song Ever (This Week) and it's starting to creep me out!!!

Posted by Scottie | May 11, 2007 5:17 PM

check out the acoustic KEXP in-studio version from 2002. (also give a listen to the cover of l.l. cool j's "around the way girl")

Posted by quilty3000 | May 11, 2007 5:22 PM

P.S. I was at the Graceland that night, too, and it is still one of my favorite show I ever went to!! Having Cex as the audience correspondent was an added bonus to the already amazing and hilarious show1

Posted by Scottie | May 11, 2007 5:23 PM

I just don't get this band and I hate this song, I cringe every time I've ever heard it on KEXP. Just thought I'd throw the hater vote into the mix. Ta.

Posted by Threw my invite away. | May 11, 2007 8:42 PM

Yeah, the taking of requests and whole-audience sing-along made this one of the best shows I'd ever been to. Why do they tease us with reunions that we can't attend?

Posted by JJ Hellgate | May 12, 2007 10:08 AM

i was totally at that show, and it's still one of the best i've ever been to. but, cex was actually really annoying and horrible that entire night. the d-plan set was really epic though, the "gyroscope" and "the jitters" they played that night were real highlights.

Posted by jordan | May 12, 2007 5:56 PM

I have never loved watching a bass player as much as Eric Axelson (was that his last name?). Damn. I loved him in that sexy-not-sexy way.

Posted by BFDS | May 12, 2007 9:23 PM

the Muses! And there goes the venerable Thibaut taking his evening
http://piercing-pagoda.blogspot.com/ >aero piercing pagoda*
the warrior lieth in darkness there is no noise of the harp no joy

Posted by bmynmvc | May 13, 2007 6:54 PM