« The Cave Singers Interview | The Late Night Drive »

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Isn’t Angus a Cow’s Name?

posted by on June 20 at 12:00 PM

After I posted my praise for Love Spit Love’s “Am I Wrong?” the other day, I mentioned the Angus soundtrack (which features said song). Someone left a comment saying, “The Angus soundtrack?” Well yes, the Angus soundtrack.

angus.jpg

I’m not sure if the comment was questioning my liking the Angus soundtrack, or just wondering what the hell the Angus soundtrack was, but let’s assume it’s the latter.

Now, I’m 27. As a teenager, I went to a lot of shows at RKCNDY, I listened to a lot of Bay Area pop punk, and I have been recently described as an “alterna-teen” (I took no offense, should I’ve?). When the movie Angus came out, I was 14 or 15; it was made for kids like me. If you can’t relate you probably a) have never even heard of the movie Angus (it was a flop, I think), or b) thought it was for all the retarded “alterna-teens” who’d line up outside of RKCNDY hours before the Mr. T Experience show (which it was and which I was).

It’s a story about a super smart fat kid and his scrawny, nerdy friend trying to survive the awfulness that is high school. They get bullied, beat up, laughed at, and shunned by the jocks and cheerleaders. There are tons of cliches, there’s a very predictable storyline, but I loved it. And why I loved it was mostly because of its soundtrack.

Check it:
1. J.A.R. (Jason Andrew Relva) - Green Day
2. Jack Names The Planets - Ash
3. Enough - Dance Hall Crashers
4. Kung Fu - Ash
5. Back To You - The Riverdales (Listen via screechingweasel.com)
6. Mrs. You And Me - Smoking Popes
7. You Gave Your Love To Me Softly - Weezer (Watch via youtube.com)
8. Ain’t That Unusual - Goo Goo Dolls
9. Funny Face - The Muffs
10. White Homes - Tilt
11. Deep Water - Pansy Division
12. Am I Wrong - Love Spit Love

Yeah, there are a few bummer tracks (not the best Smoking Popes tune, for example), but man… Ash? Pansy Division? One of my favorite Green Day songs that wasn’t on any other record at the time? One of the best Weezer B-sides? And, of course, that great Love Spit Love song that doesn’t make sense? Yes, please! Even to this day, I still get happy when I listen to it (haven’t seen the movie for years, however, so I can’t say it’s held up as well). The soundtrack is available used and new at amazon.com starting at $0.32. Buy it, get nostolgic. It’ll be the best quarter, nickel, and two pennies you’ll spend all year.

(Speaking of good soundtracks from 1995, see also: Mallrats.)

That Green Day song must've sold so many thousands of copies of that soundtrack.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 20, 2007 12:13 PM

as a teenager myself, i remember being really excited after seeing the soundtrack and thinking it was going to be some great thought-provoking movie. well, it wasn't.

Posted by rob | June 20, 2007 3:34 PM

Only saw it once, but I have memories of 'Angus' being a quite a fun, little thing, written by one of the writers of 'thirtysomething,' 'The Wonder Years,' and 'My So-Called Life.'

And looking back, it's an effective precursor to the Judd Apatow teenager movies, too, or Dan Harmon and Rob Schrab's 'Monster House.'

Posted by Fawkes | June 20, 2007 8:03 PM

yea.. i definitely own this soundtrack and i fucking love it.

back in the days when ash didnt suck and greenday wasnt an embarrassment to me.
the goo goo dolls? i dunno.

my other all time favorite was the craft soundtrack.
spacehog, elastica, tripping daisy, letters to cleo! even love spit love!

i still listen to these both.

Posted by yungrii when 14 | June 21, 2007 1:46 AM

that would be me, megan.

i, your co-worker, left you that comment.

and not cuz i don't know what Angus is.

sadly i do, and i maintain, as i always have, that Angus sucks deep inner cow ass.

follow this up with a post on The Crow soundtrack and we're gonna have us a talk, you & me.

Posted by lar | June 21, 2007 2:16 AM

I bought it ten years ago for the Green Day song, but this is definitely my favorite soundtrack-type soundtrack (meaning: not an instrumental score, and not consisting completely or mainly of songs that are sung by the characters, like Once, which is my current favorite in the latter category). I've never heard or read anyone else talking about it, so that's cool.

Posted by Sarah | June 22, 2007 12:05 PM

sbkvun iocv bgfiv ahgep bxpt vjokefwm sewjncv

Posted by iosvyl dhwblevjo | June 25, 2007 3:21 PM

sbkvun iocv bgfiv ahgep bxpt vjokefwm sewjncv

Posted by iosvyl dhwblevjo | June 25, 2007 3:25 PM

Las Vegas
[url=http://condosforrent-las-newyears-vegas.gebook.org/] condosforrent las newyears vegas [/url]

Posted by rewq4545 | July 1, 2007 12:57 AM