« Bad Good Move, Space Cadet | Kate Simko @ Oscillate Tonight »

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Sugar We’re Going Down

posted by on June 28 at 13:10 PM

hindenburg.jpg

Just started reading what’s looking to be a very interesting article at RollingStone.com about the collapse of the record industry.

“The record business is over,” says music attorney Peter Paterno, who represents Metallica and Dr. Dre. “The labels have wonderful assets—they just can’t make any money off them.” One senior music-industry source who requested anonymity went further: “Here we have a business that’s dying. There won’t be any major labels pretty soon.”

It’s appropriate that the dinosaur of music journalism should examine the dinosaur that is the music industry as both struggle to stay relevant.

yup, no more major labels soon. i heard rock and roll is dead too.

Posted by donte | June 28, 2007 1:46 PM

Agreed, and boo-fucking-hoo. It's suicide, not murder or manslaughter. They screwed everyone, and at no time did either actually care about the art of music. They've both dug in their heels and thought that they could bully everyone into doing it their way. Both totally risk adverse, and refusing to change with the technology. I suffered through the seventies and eighties listening to corporate radio, and they'd be wise to bankrupt themselves because I think I have an actionable claim deserving of restitution. I should be getting $100 just for the pain and suffering of having to listen to Man-eater by Hall and Oates, and then there's the Starship catalogue.

Metacritic and especially AllMusic are honest and music-obsessed. As for true artists, there has to be a way to punt them some cash. There should really be an honor bar website where people with guilty consciences can donate right to the artist what they feel they owe them. I do it by buying shirts and hitting shows. On the other hand, I've donated thousands for one-single CDs. The Chili Peppers alone have duped me of hundreds while returning one solid CD of material, and is there one ACDC album that's not half filler?

Metacritic and especially AllMusic are honest and music-obsessed. As for true artists, there has to be a way to punt them some cash. There should really be an honor bar website where people with guilty conscionscences can donate right to the artist what they feel they owe them. I do it by buying shirts and hitting shows. On the other hand, I've donated thousands for one-single CDs. The Chilli Peppers alone have duped me of hundreds while returing one solid CD of material, and is there one ACDC album that's not half filler?

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 28, 2007 2:08 PM

I was waiting for my friend the other night while he ordered some Thai food on Broadway. Wanting to see what the clerk (we go way back to when he generously fixed the espresso machine at some dimestore corner place I worked in Wallingfrd) was up to at the newstand, I stopped in to scan a couple mags.

There were lots of interesting tidbits in RS- the live pic of the Police is the same one that was used in the P.I. or Times, the 20 year ago tops list in the back was neat, though I forget it, some other signs of the times.

to veg lasagna- those darn Chili Peppers, i get so carried away with music, less now, but when i heard/saw them do "Give It Away" I actually ended up sawing my 2x15 Sunn))) bass cab, planked 'em up with about 20 dollars of hardware, corner guards, linoleum outercover for one, Persiany rug for the other, and GAVE them away to two buddies-one a female lowend plunker.

That's what I'll do now- Yes- gonna trade my Washburn bass in for a sweet ole cheapo stickered cherry Epiphonic. It's at the pawn store on Rainier, where the old Vincent de Paul used to be.

Posted by Garrett | June 28, 2007 2:40 PM

@1 i agree about r&r being in the morgue, but it is very fun to still play it/dance to it/listen to it occasionally. i'm glad i know musicians who are into cadavers.

Posted by Garrett | June 28, 2007 2:47 PM

What the hell is Paterno even talking about. Major labels aren't even record companies anymore, and haven't been since the 80's... they're media conglomerates, telecommunications companies, and "zaibatsu's", and they're as big as ever. The labels are just trying to spin public perception, probably in hopes it'll pay off in court.

They created this monster, and now it's out of they're control... too bad.

Posted by Dougsf | June 28, 2007 2:54 PM

Itís easy to vilify the major label record industry, but you have to remember that the same factors which are harming larger corporations are also affecting smaller indie labels and bands.

Posted by Finn | June 28, 2007 4:45 PM

I agree with that, and I don't see how anyone can begrudge bands that are selling for commercials. In Canada, they used to tack a fee on blank CDs that supposedly would get back to artists.

I don't imagine people are stealing guilt-free, but $18 CDs and the RIAA are b.s. $1 songs make more sense. If file-sharing can be stopped, then reasonable profits would have to be there, right? Not reasonable enough for corporate beheamoths that have to increase profits by 20% every year, but profits.

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 28, 2007 5:30 PM

Widespread Panic is going to save music. Ask JZ.

That blimp will be floatin!

Posted by trent moorman | June 28, 2007 5:40 PM

yes they are media conglomerates but the profit margin on CDs was too good to be true.You can imagine printing millions of CDs got the price down to like 10 cents a piece and then they sell them for 15 to 20 bucks.plus they could esily lie to artists about how many made/sold.file sharing anarchy has killed
that king for real

Posted by mwand | June 29, 2007 7:43 AM

The "music industry" was exactly that- they mass-produced pap for the lowest common denominator of taste.

Somewhere the music industry got the idea that it was entitled to ridiculous profit margins. Illegal file trading didn't kill them. The DVD did, by showing much better entertainment value. $20 for a 45-minute CD with maybe two good songs vs. $20 for a 2 hour movie with plenty of extras?

It's a no-freakin'-brainer.

Posted by supergp | June 29, 2007 8:00 AM

gfyzbjap sdvurwxb nrykfm pcmizvj qybtluxj wcukqtl zglfa

Posted by jvxndbwmh icmtlkwsa | July 12, 2007 2:31 PM

sotwbfmz jodxvqtbs fvmbrs jnvwplgu hbnqtza tkdw rpgajtnmq http://www.ikonh.kvjsce.com

Posted by ylmtfjzdg oiblc | July 12, 2007 2:32 PM