« Goodbye, Lay the Blame on Luck | With Apologies to Our Dedicate... »

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Carry My Laser

posted by on June 13 at 15:22 PM

GeorgeFinal.jpgYou know that Mister Mister song where the words are:

“Carry a laser down the road that I must travel” ?

Someone was telling me it’s not “carry a laser”, it’s “Kyrie eleison.” And it means ‘Oh Lord’, or ‘Lord have mercy’.

That’s bullshit.

The words are “carry a laser.” I’ve been singing them since 1986.

“Carry a laser through the darkness of the night.”

Pretty funny. Now please tell me what "Blinded by the light, wrapped up like a douche another roamer in the night" is supposed to mean.

Posted by Whatevs | June 13, 2007 3:52 PM

Hee hee. Nice pic.

Yeah, I wondered about the douche song too.

Thank you for reminding, Whatevs.

Posted by yeens | June 13, 2007 4:06 PM

No, it's wrapped up like a deuce another runner in the night.

still makes no sense.

Posted by rubyred | June 13, 2007 4:43 PM

its actually "revved up like a deuce, another runner in the night." the reference is to a ford deuce coupe, the same kind of car the beach boys sang about.

Posted by jz | June 13, 2007 5:17 PM

For that matter, what is "the pompatus of love"?

Posted by oye como va | June 13, 2007 6:26 PM

interesting story behind "pompatus," actually.

its a made-up word, mostly, but like so much of steve millers work, is also ripped off from someone else. that would be vernon green of the medallions, who had a song in the fifties called "the letter" containing the line "the puppetudes of love."

miller, ever the scammer (see "jet airliner," originally written and performed by the undersung paul pena) used "the letter" as the basis for his song "enter maurice," in which he first drops the nonsense word "pompetus." the word gained huge exposure a few years later w millers county fair/frat-boy/weed-smoker/radio anthem "the joker."

full rundown here:

Posted by jz | June 14, 2007 11:52 AM

in the world of supposedly misheard lyrics, you cant forget "secret ASIAN man". there is no way he's actually singing "secret agent man".

Posted by brad | June 14, 2007 12:24 PM

Is there any way someone can convince me that the Mike and the Mechanics guy didn't sing "Believe in me, I'm with the High Command?"

I mean, I know he did sing that and all. But could we come up with plausible alternative so when the song gets stuck in my head, I can imagine he said something less dunderheaded?

Posted by the man who couldn't blog | June 14, 2007 12:58 PM

There is a way you can rid any song stuck in your head.

It's a cleanser.

"We gonna rock onto e-lectric avenue, then we'll take it highya."

Sing that when you get a song stuck in your head, and you will be free.

Posted by i can't blog either | June 14, 2007 1:06 PM

My favorite formerly-misunderstood lyric is by the Doobie Brother's in "what a fool believes." I was convinced that he was singing:

"The white man has the power," (it's really "wise man"), and I wondered how the hell the song became a hit with that lyric.

I stand corrected, Doobies. I stand corrected.

Posted by Seattle-Powerpop | June 14, 2007 3:10 PM

Love Boat theme is the ultimate brain cleanser. God I wanted Jill Whelan when I was 11, and she was on Friends (the original 1979 version, don't talk to me about Central Perps or whatever).

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 14, 2007 6:30 PM

Soon we'll be making another run.

Isaac was the man.

Posted by exciting and new | June 14, 2007 7:34 PM

Why did they call Fred Grandy "Gopher", anyone?

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 15, 2007 9:24 AM

Good question. Probably had to do with sex.

Like, it was 'his' position. "He gave her the gopher."

I'm just throwing it out there.

Posted by Stubing | June 15, 2007 9:42 AM

It was because he had to "go for this and go for that". Oh, the hilarity.

I wonder who the biggest celebrity guest star was? Gene Kelly?

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 15, 2007 11:58 AM

Wikipedia has a list, inlcudes Andy Warhol, Tom Hanks, Michael J. Fox, Shelley Winters and Vanessa Williams.

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 15, 2007 12:03 PM

Warhol was on Love Boat? I GOTTA see that.

Excellent wikipedia link.