« The Pierced Arrows Announce Fi... | Kay Kay & His Weathered Underg... »

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Dear Weezer, Please Don’t Let it Suck

posted by on June 27 at 10:10 AM

weezer.jpg

Via Punknews.org:

After more than a year’s worth of inactivity while frontman Rivers Cuomo finished an English degree at Harvard, Weezer has announced they will return with a new album in 2008. According to a recent post from Rivers on the band’s website: “We’re just polishing up a batch of songs for a recording session that is going to start at the beginning of July, this will be the final recording session for our sixth album, which we aim to put out in the first half of 2008.”

I’ve already done my obligitory “OMG I L0\/3 Pinkerton post, so I won’t start up with that again (you’re welcome), and I’m also not one of those people who hold bands up to ridiculous expectations put into place by a record that was released over a decade ago, but with that said, I still don’t have high hopes for a new Weezer album, and I can’t help but wince at this news. They’ve been on a steady decline since Pinkerton.

I appreciate the green album for the empty albeit catchy diddies, but Maladroit was B-O-R-I-N-G boring. And Make Believe, well, Make Believe has one good song on it. One. I can’t even remember the name of it, though, because it wasn’t even that great of a good song. Maybe it’s that “Perfect Situation” song that’s on their MySpace page, which has the almost exact same guitar intro as “Simple Pages” from the green album, supporting the fact that the band has become a complete parody of itself. I mean, does anyone really care about (new) Weezer anymore? Should anyone?

Oh Megan, people like you and me have been giving Weezer second chances over and over and over for too long. We've got to give them up...which is something I can't imagine doing, even though I know it would be good for me. They're like a disappointing boyfriend.

On the other hand, the new Rentals EP, which I am listening to right now, is far from the home run I hoped/thought it would be. Rivers lets us down, Matt lets us down -- what's left?

PS: I am pretty sure the good song on Make Believe is "This is Such a Pity."

Posted by Joel | June 27, 2007 10:51 AM

Oh I am going to stand up for WEEZER, whenever I play them they make me feel happy, they are just fun to listen to. I really loved 'Make Believe' so much so I saw them in Las Vegas outside in 105 degree weather, it was awesome. But I understand the love for 'Pinkerton' it is sooooo good. Okay and well Rivers is cute.

Posted by Nick | June 27, 2007 11:04 AM

on a decline since pinkerton? how about a steep cliff dive since pinkerton. the last three albums have been terrible (or at least i'm assuming so since i didn't bother paying any attention to the last record).

i couldn't be less interested in weezer these days. to keep with joel's analogy, weezer is like an ex-boyfriend that you were with years ago, but has since become a junky and had sex with your mom. oh wait, that would be more interesting than old man rivers cuomo's tired pop songs.

Posted by seth | June 27, 2007 12:14 PM

sorry to say it but seth is dead on point. it's sad really, because you know river's is capable of another pinkerton but it's never going to come. didn't he say pinkerton was to personal for him or something...(anyone?), as if that is a bad thing...

Posted by nick | June 27, 2007 3:20 PM

Matt Sharp took all the talent in the band with him when he left. Saw Pinkerton era Weezer Rock DV8 back in 96, and saw them suck at the KeyArena a few years back.

Posted by Dylan | June 27, 2007 3:54 PM

If I remember correctly, when Pinkerton was released it was severely bashed and Rivers got all worked up over it. Then, slowly but surely, over time people started to see how brilliant it actually is.

My interest in Weezer comes and goes. The Green Album was awful, Maladroit was better, and I've missed everything they've done since.

Posted by ica | June 27, 2007 3:59 PM

the green album-if done by any other band- would have been cool, despite the guitar solos being melodic copies of the verse. in other words, we all know that weezer has great potential, and that's what is so disappointing. we believe in weezer deep down inside. but now i kinda lump their post pinkerton work in w/ ben folds five and fountains of wayne. all great musicians, but the replay value is only for nostalgic purposes.

Posted by brad | June 28, 2007 8:53 AM

One of my cousins is a meth addict that's constantly mooching off of my grandparents. He seemed pretty cool when I was a kid and he wasn't a meth head yet. My grandparents are good Christians, and can't bring themselves to cut him off, so every time he rips them off, they forgive him and give him another chance and then he goes and does it again. I don't think my grandparents have heard of Weezer, but they'd probably buy the new album.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 28, 2007 12:27 PM

brakjezx gtpacquly dyux onyqjp ofzihn wgsdf qzxk

Posted by xyeovbcdj aekyfc | July 9, 2007 5:00 PM

brakjezx gtpacquly dyux onyqjp ofzihn wgsdf qzxk

Posted by xyeovbcdj aekyfc | July 9, 2007 5:01 PM

szhwbvqpj zflkcnxh otplisfn vkydmnjt mdliz ckltza vxaeqrg http://www.atjcen.lvmqc.com

Posted by jtzopn xqzmucry | July 9, 2007 5:02 PM

srdo oghkwvpmd xfhnslmt ltnqkj zldvcyhg oivhedjz kncowhe

Posted by efhz qidbhk | July 9, 2007 11:50 PM