« Pleasure Forever - Bodies Need... | Carry My Laser »

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Goodbye, Lay the Blame on Luck

posted by on June 13 at 12:41 PM

One of my favorite songs of all time, hands down, is “Am I Wrong?” by Love Spit Love.

Love Spit Love - Am I Wrong?*

But despite listening to it over and over and over again since junior high, I still have no fucking clue what the song is about.

I mean, I get it. I think I do. It’s a sad song, a bittersweet song—you can tell by the melody and the longing in Richard Butler’s voice (yes, Butler of Psychedelic Furs—Love Spit Love was his post-Furs project). But it’s also a little optimistic. He’s letting go of something that needs to be let go of, it seems. He’s accepted that it’s over, it’s for the best. But it’s still sad to have to leave it. Right? Am I close? Am I wrong? (Ha!)

I can’t stay
in this place
I can’t stand
When the room turns round
On my fate
You give no guarantees
There’s no promise
I can keep
I can’t stand
I can’t see my way
I feel blind
On my feet
I can’t stay too long
Am I wrong?

So that makes enough sense, I guess, but then this part, my favorite part of the song, throws me for a loop:

I’m so tired
Of my mood
And sleep comes
With a knife, fork and a spoon

A knife, fork, and a spoon? What? I don’t get it. It’s the one blemish in the song, but only because it makes no sense to me. Is it a drug reference? I admit, I rarely ever get drug references. Is it something else? Is it just nonsense, and I’m over-analyzing? I admit, I do that a lot too.

Still, as cryptic as it is, I can listen to this song endlessly for a whole day and it stays just as lovely and sad as it was the first time I heard it. Even though I can’t remember when the first time I heard it was. And no I’ve never cried while listening to it, but I’ve come close (I’m emo, I know, my style is sweeping the nation).

Goodbye, lay the blame on luck
Goodbye, lay the blame on luck
Goodbye, lay the blame on luuuuuuuuuck…

*This is the version from the Angus soundtrack, the one with the marching band accompaniment. I couldn’t find an original mp3. I like this one too, though. It has horns. I like horns.

yeah. it's one of those great songs like "bizarre love triangle."

Posted by josh | June 13, 2007 1:25 PM

The drug reference idea is a good one. I rarely get those either, so it could be some kind of slang I am unaware of.

I also have four other ideas:
1- Maybe he is an emotional over eater? When he gets really depressed he gorges until he passes out?

2- Maybe the flatware reference is an arty way of saying that the only way he can go too sleep is when he swallows the pain long enough to pass out.

3- He ran out of rhyming words and wanted to finish the song so he figured if he threw something completely random in there it would come across as arty and/or mysterious when in fact he just needed a word that rhymed with Mood.

4- It is an inside joke for the person the song was about. Maybe a reference to wedding flatware that they shared or fought over or something?

Posted by lilblackcat | June 13, 2007 1:55 PM

Just today, I was thinking that what this world needs is a Web site dedicated to the meaning of song lyrics. How about we (the Stranger and I) start it, Megan?

Posted by Frentic | June 13, 2007 2:56 PM

I hope that song rocks, because those lyrics don't. Knives and Spoons are easy enough drug references, but the inclusion of a fork makes me think that it's just an eating reference.

Posted by Dougsf | June 13, 2007 4:49 PM

I think the idea is that his nightmares are eating him alive in his sleep.

Posted by Matthew | June 13, 2007 7:23 PM

yeah knife could be a drug reference
fork could be a forking reference (if you know what i mean)
and the spoon could be a spooning reference

at least that was my initial "what could it mean?!" thought

i've never heard of the song before
it could all also depend on how he sings knife, fork and spoon

blah blh lah

Posted by Stefski | June 14, 2007 9:47 AM

The Angus soundtrack?

Posted by lar | June 14, 2007 4:07 PM

You know I had the same "WTF?" thing the first time I listened to it... over and over and over and over. Not because it was a catchy song, it is, but because I was part of the marching band horn section playing with it. The director of the film was from my home town and the band that is in the film from Minisota wasn't quite up to playing the part. But anyway I always figured it was some cow jumped over the moon reference but yea the drug and eating disorder ideas came up too.

Posted by GBleck | June 26, 2007 1:14 PM