« Sůnar 1987 2007: I Believe in ... | Press Release Headline of the ... »

Monday, June 18, 2007

Itís Not Mark Wahlberg in Leather Pants

posted by on June 18 at 12:31 PM

Itís better! Itís Pete Townsend in the tightest white pants ever!

Last night, thanks to a gnarly allergy attack and a lot of Benadryl, I was stuck on the couch drifting in and out of sleep. KBTC, was showing the Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus with Marianne Faithful, John Lennon, the Who, and of course the Rolling Stones, and as you may or may not already know, itís way better than Rockstar. (Well, almost. The whole Lennon/Clapton jam session wouldíve been so awesome if it werenít for Yokoís drunk/tortured/dying bird shrieking. Iíve never really understood Yoko. Sorry, Ari.)

Besides that, though, there are just so many awesome things going on during the whole concert (especially when half sleeping and half awake and the concert becomes a part of a dream that involves being lost on a cruise ship and weird robots), which made me wonder, why doesnít shit like this happen anymore? Why doesnít someone like, I dunno, Thom Yorke or someone everyone in the music world respects on some level, throw together a bunch of amazing musicians and host a rock and roll circus of their own, where everyone gets to just rock out and jam and just fucking rule?

It kept being interrupted by the stationís pledge drive ($60 got you a CD, $90 got you the DVD, and $125 got you both), so I eventually opted to watch Borat and add the Rock and Roll Circus to my Netflix queue. Anyway. I dunno. Maybe thereís still Bendadryl in my system thatís making me loopy, but I really think someone needs to work a circus of their own. I’ll even help, I can bring the ponchos and floppy hats.

We cannot let it turn into what Woodstock 1994 was to Woodstock 1969, however. That means Red Hot Chili Peppers, youíre out. Sorry.

reports from the ill-titled "superjam" at bonnaroo on friday night were stellar.

john paul jones, ben harper, and ?uestlove rocking zeppelin covers and soul tracks til the wee hours.

these things do happen, but you have to be willing to tolerate 80 thousand sweaty hippies to be there.

Posted by jz | June 18, 2007 12:37 PM

You must never, EVER apologize for not understanding Yoko Ono, regardless of who you may offend.

Posted by Hernandez | June 18, 2007 12:40 PM

Oh wow, Zeppelin covers. That's a new one - innovators they are. Did they extend Stairway into a 60 minute superjam?

Posted by folklife | June 18, 2007 12:44 PM

did anyone say they had to be innovators? its three stars playing music together thatve never played music together before. the innovation is in the fact that theyre doing it at all.

besides, when theres a member of led zeppelin playing led zeppelin songs, one could argue theyre not even covers. anyone whos a fan of the original band--which im betting you aint, folklife, so your lame complaints are moot--would be stoked.

Posted by jz | June 18, 2007 12:57 PM

Was I complaining? No.
And no, I don't think anyone did say they had to be innovators.
'One could argue', yes; it sounds like you enjoy that.

I don't know who you are jz, but I'd like to think the stranger music writing staff has a little innovation up their sleeve.

Does any Line Out poster want to jump in and complete the 'three star' lineup with me and jz.

Posted by folklife | June 18, 2007 1:10 PM

Yeah, they have the full version of this on The Kids Are Alright DVD set.. the updated unedited version, too, that didn't originally screen.

The best thing in the movie, period.

Posted by matthew fisher wilder | June 18, 2007 2:14 PM

The Dirty Mac ruled, shut up Megan.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | June 18, 2007 2:34 PM

Yoko also ruined John's appearance with Frank Zappa & The Mothers at the Fillmore East 1971. Compared to Yoko, Linda McCartney was Ella Fitzgerald.

The Who's single performance (A Quick One)was better than all the Rolling Stones performances from the same show. The reason the show was never released until video because the Stones knew their set sucked, and they even tried to get the Who to release it as "The Who's Rock & Roll Circus." But it would have required everyone to come back so the Who could have done more songs.

Posted by elswinger | June 18, 2007 3:05 PM

Well, there's tons of "nouveau cirkus" type stuff around, some of which is good (Circus Contraption, for instance) and lots of which ain't. But I think in general the lack of "happenings" like this has a lot to do with Rock not really occupying pop culture's center stage anymore.

How about David Chappelle's Block Party?

Posted by flamingbanjo | June 18, 2007 6:07 PM

Marianne Faithful's ninety-second song is amazing. Her looks and her performance are beyond dreamy.

Posted by Jameson | June 18, 2007 6:11 PM

vdecf vkriwy vobpntx fyjxlhcsu uesvgfx otpsbefwm xgduqf

Posted by mranflcei fwpkyior | June 25, 2007 2:59 PM

vdecf vkriwy vobpntx fyjxlhcsu uesvgfx otpsbefwm xgduqf

Posted by mranflcei fwpkyior | June 25, 2007 3:06 PM

vdecf vkriwy vobpntx fyjxlhcsu uesvgfx otpsbefwm xgduqf

Posted by mranflcei fwpkyior | June 25, 2007 3:06 PM

Las Vegas
[url=http://condosforrent-las-newyears-vegas.gebook.org/] condosforrent las newyears vegas [/url]

Posted by rewq4545 | July 1, 2007 12:52 AM