« More Capitol Hill Block Party ... | On Mediocrity: »

Monday, June 4, 2007

Jungle Fire Surround

posted by on June 4 at 11:25 AM

interm-1140144934-2.jpgAriSawkaDoria played Saturday night at Neumos as part of Breaks & Freaks II. The show was in surround sound, adding a dimensional layer. There were clowns, juggling, acrobats, and FIRE, provided by PURE Cirkus. A real live girl, put real live fire in her mouth.

AriSawkaDoria meshed it up huge. Jungle jazz, space dub voodoo. Kevin Sawka drums his d n b slant, Ari Zucker plays virtual jazz guitar, and Joe Doria is on keys with his Hammond B3. Itís fusion: organ jazz, electronica, d n b, and groove. A deathstar steamroller, with the added features hooked in and fully operational.

They have a new release, Chapter One, out on Wax Orchard Records, available in Seattle now. A national release is set for August.

asdcoverart.jpg

American Idol man, Blake Lewis, did his thing on a couple songs during ASDís first set. The band spoke excitedly about whatís to come.

Blake has tapped AriSawkaDoria to be his backing band.

Good news for the bad ass trio.

is that REALLY good news for the band? back an 'idol and never get respect in the indie community again. hmm.

Posted by meriko | June 4, 2007 2:26 PM

So continuing to do something they did before he was famous is selling out? Sign me up for some of that. Why do you think people get together to jam? Make some music, establish relationships, HELP EACH OTHER OUT.

Posted by drew | June 4, 2007 6:10 PM

Meriko, don't worry about respect for Kevin Sawka, Joe Doria, and Ari Zucker. they already have it.

It's called 'making a living', ever heard of it?

Turn down a chance to have your band play in front of thousands of potential fans? Yeah, that sucks.

I would never play in a band to back an american idol person. I would never want to make good money doing shows in crazy big venues, and get to travel and be treated like royalty. Yeah, that would suck.

Posted by keep me playing in my shitty band | June 4, 2007 6:59 PM

yeah... these guys have all been playing together for years... i used to see them at comonfire an after hours party spot in fremont (now closed down) playing from 2am till 6am it was like the only place you could see them - the underground... i think its cool of blake to keep it real - play with the homies. i just think about it like; think about how many young brand new music fans out there are gonna be turned on to some real fucking music for a change. thats just me 2 cents besides these
guys are all great people too ive met each of them these are the type of people that don't really sell out... they work hard and play their hearts out...

Posted by davey jones | June 5, 2007 6:35 PM

Sounds sick, too bad I missed this one. I am a fan of all those genre's. I was at the ASD Triple Door Show a few months ago, very original group, very original.

Posted by indieboxmashup | June 7, 2007 3:02 AM

MSN I NIIPET
MSN

Posted by Bill | June 12, 2007 12:50 PM

MSN I NIIPET
MSN

Posted by Bill | June 12, 2007 12:50 PM

MSN I NIIPET
MSN

Posted by Bill | June 12, 2007 12:50 PM

Not sure if any realizes that the members that make up this band are individualy among the best musicians with there respected instruments. If you listen to these guy play and are not in augh with what they are doing, you really need to take a music class.

Posted by Profittphotography.com | June 15, 2007 2:05 AM