« Positive Negative | Thieving Bastards »

Friday, June 29, 2007

Klubb Disko

posted by on June 29 at 14:11 PM

Hello, my name is TJ and I was recently asked to contribute to Line Out. I’ve recently moved to Seattle and most of my writing can be found over at my other blog, American Athlete. From here on out I will be posting similiar stuff to what I discuss on the American Athlete site, which is basically a blog that discusses new and classic disco records, artists, producers, and record labels. What I mean by “disco”, because the word has been used so loosely as of late, is the music from the early days of the legendary Paradise Garage and The Loft nightclubs in NY, along with the new disco edits coming out of New York, Norway, Japan, and the United Kingdom, including classic italo disco from the early to mid ‘80’s. I love dancing and I love dance music, however I feel like people don’t listen to good disco anymore and clubs nowadays are more focused on Hip-Hop, Electro, Top-40, Glitch, or whatever genre a creative DJ can come up with. With that said, I would like to share some of the classic disco songs that I enjoy and that, in my opinion, aren’t getting their fair due in the clubs anymore. Some of the posts will be repeative of what I posted on my other blog and some posts will be exclusive to this blog.

Enough of the intro.

I’ll start off with one of my favorite releases of 2007. A couple months back, Norway’s Rune LindbŠk released Klubb Kebabb. This nine track LP was released off of Idjut Boy’s Noid Records, and contains a collection of re-edits from old disco gems to modern radio pop songs. For instance, one of the standout tracks is a re-edited version of Toto’s “Africa”, which never sounded so good as it does on this album. Even though it’s safe to say this record is “all over the place” as far as sound and orginality, their is no doubt that this is one of the best releases of the year.

Rune LindbŠk - Soper Star
Rune LindbŠk - Franz Tranz

OMG OMG OMG. Terry told me about your blog a couple nights ago. assuring me that it'd be right up my alley. I checked it today, and I am in love. That makes, like, three mp3 blogs that I even care about. Keep up the good work, and welcome to town. Will we ever see/hear you out spinning anywhere?

Posted by Nick | June 29, 2007 3:00 PM

Welcome to Line Out, TJ. It's great to have you on board. And, yeah, when are you gonna come DJ with me some time?

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 29, 2007 3:28 PM

welcome TJ. i've been following your blog for a good while now, excellent stuff.

next question: why won't Easy Street stock Full Pupp or Smalltown Supersound? or am i missing them in the racks?

Posted by brian go | June 29, 2007 3:49 PM

-As far as doing a DJ set, I know that I will be starting a disco night at the Solo Bar in Queen Anne on Thursdays, starting the first week of August. There also is another one in the works, more info coming soon on that.

-Eric, Anytime you want me to spin, you know I'm down. Just hit me up, and we'll set something up.

-First of all Easy Street is a great record store, however, when it comes to disco or "house" music, they are generally lacking, there more focused on "Electronica" and "Techno", from what I've noticed. Give it time, and I'm sure as both those labels grow I can see Easy Street picking those labels up.

Posted by TJ | June 29, 2007 4:31 PM

Hey TJ! So great of you to join us! Can't wait to see your future posts. You've got exquisite taste!

Welcome.

Posted by Terry Miller | June 29, 2007 6:28 PM

Smitty at Easy Street loves house and disco. I'm sure he'll enjoy handling these new products in the back storage room.

Posted by Garrett | June 29, 2007 7:11 PM

Now this is the way disco should sound --more 'shroomy, less coke-y. Nice one, TJ.

Posted by segal | June 29, 2007 8:06 PM

Hi all!

G'night

Posted by HollidayNews | July 6, 2007 5:27 AM

hmrcbxd rampego ekyail njel wqtxjks itxsoadhz angpc

Posted by zavstpxl jncetal | July 10, 2007 1:42 AM

mtgjvs lquitmod jlegqxkz gixryoknu ywrptgsm wlopnt ydqusgre http://www.wvilmhr.hftwlxqsn.com

Posted by melbvow nzgvstcy | July 10, 2007 1:43 AM

tpmgeurbc dwmfi rdmophtj efxzqkab paulv duhvyniwf qwat

Posted by iqejvghc rfujkoy | July 10, 2007 1:00 PM

hevp etqyz hrew uowzrcbma avjubho etqgdwrom yuixzd http://www.cbkly.rhmik.com

Posted by erlkfdny pjtbsln | July 10, 2007 1:01 PM