« Library Science | Royal Vulcan Tortoise »

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Dumb iPod

posted by on June 27 at 13:30 PM

My boyfriend got me an iPod for Christmas. He told me he loaded all of “my music” on it, then laughed—apparently “my music,” which occupies just half of one of the fifteen shelves worth of music in our house, barely made a dent in my new iPod’s memory.

For about three months I wore it everywhere I went—on the bus, on airplanes, at the gym. Then… I stopped. My iPod has been sitting on my nightstand, untouched, for about two months now. Maybe longer. What happened?

I always thought I wasn’t the iPod type. Now I know I’m not. Those first few months, though, made me wonder. I really enjoyed listening to my music walking around town. And I enjoyed plugging my earpuds in and blotting out the world. People leave you alone when you’ve got those things in you ears; they don’t ask you inane questions on the bus, they don’t strike up conversations on airplanes. That was nice.

But… after three months, man, I was sick of everything on my iPod. Sick of Liza and Vicki Carr, sick of Queen and the Beach Boys, sick of Company and Pacific Overtures and Follies. My pathetic half-a-shelf worth of music should have been the dead giveaway: I don’t own enough music, I don’t like enough music, to listen to the music I own and/or like 12 hours a day without quickly sickening of all of it. My boyfriend, on the other hand, has shitloads of music, and consequently never gets tired of listening to his iPod.

So my poor, neglected iPod sits on my nightstand, waiting for the day when I’m ready to hear a little VIcki again. It could be a while.

Dan, do you shuffle? I think sometimes that helps.

I've always been intimidated having all my music on my ipod. Like I'm going to play the wrong song at the wrong time and it will mess up the song.

I was listening to Guns n' Roses "Nightrain" and I walked past a really bad car accident where the person had been drinking. The song hasn't been the same since. I think the person came out of it ok.

Posted by trent moorman | June 27, 2007 2:13 PM

I have so many mp3's at this point that I find it difficult to sift through all of it to get to the music I actually want to listen to. So instead of keeping everything on my iPod, I usually change it up every couple of weeks, limiting it to certain genres, artists, albums or what-have-you to shuffle and listen with fresher ears.

Posted by christopher hong | June 27, 2007 2:37 PM

try subscribing to some podcasts? there are so many out there that you could surely find some that are guaranteed to be free of electric guitars and other shit you don't like. and there's talky ones, too, if you're into that. either way you've always got new stuff to get sick of.

Posted by matt corwine | June 27, 2007 2:45 PM

how about adding more music to your iPod? make a dent in that memory. you must like some if your boyfriends music. you can also put your limewire downloads on it...the possibilities are endless, it just takes a little thought.

p.s. - i'm a huge fan of yours.

Posted by nick | June 27, 2007 3:06 PM

It's a sad fact that as you get older, you just become less interested in music--especially new music.

Posted by Geezer | June 27, 2007 4:04 PM

get more music?

Posted by GW2 | June 27, 2007 4:33 PM

> Queen and the Beach Boys, sick of Company and Pacific Overtures and Follies.

I'm a straight girl, and I have all these on my ipod, too (plus assassins, sweeney todd, and a little night music). Agree with other posters that you need more music and trying the shuffle. also, ever thought of going to your local library, ripping a bunch of cds and "experimenting" with artists you've heard buzz about? that's how I discovered the Scissor sisters....

Posted by a straight girl | June 27, 2007 5:00 PM

False. Please stop generalizing. Thanks.

Posted by segal | June 27, 2007 6:02 PM

#3 has it right, I think. Podcasts. Also, you can easily use your iPod to shuttle all sorts of digital bits to and fro by using it as a portable hard drive. In other words, dig deeper.

Posted by Jeff | June 27, 2007 6:31 PM

Hey Segal, just because you're a 50-year old music editor for a weekly doesn't mean I'm generalizing. It's just the way it really is.

Posted by Geezer, too | June 27, 2007 10:11 PM

Are there CDs that you absolutely cannot get tired of? This brilliant jazz group the Terry Trotter Trio has arranged quite a few Sondheim musicals. The ones I saw on the website were Company, Follies, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum, A Little Night Music, Passion, and Sweeney Todd. He's also done The Fantasticks and I hear he's done others as well. I have the Sweeney Todd arrangements and I'm telling you what, Sondheim isn't really well known for his beautiful melodies as much as he is for fucked up plot lines and clever lyrics, but you've just got to hear this. He is the theatrical equivalent to Mozart in that his melodies transcend genres. Have you ever heard Mozart put to rock rhythms? Brilliance. It's the sign of a true genius. Mozart was a genius (then again, I'm just a fangirl) and Sondheim is the reincarnation of Jesus. Check it out. (It's also a good CD to fuck to. Just a thought.)

Posted by Jennifer | June 27, 2007 10:48 PM

@10 Egocentric much?

Posted by segal | June 28, 2007 1:40 AM

I recommend the Savage LoveCast.

Is that one word or 2?

Posted by anon | June 28, 2007 11:13 AM

I can give you some Rudimentary Peni MP3s that Sheree gave me. I think they'd be right up your alley, Savage.

Posted by Paulus | June 28, 2007 6:22 PM