« Daft Punk's Electroma | I Hate Everything About You »

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Photon Split Bonham

posted by on June 12 at 11:46 AM

bonham.jpgIf you could travel back in time, what band or concert would you see?

Tom Paulson has a story in the P-I today on a UW scientist, who just might make that possible.

John Cramer, a University of Washington physicist, is doing research on time travel. He wants to get back, to where he once belonged.

He wants to figure out quantum retrocausality.

Cramerís research involves the Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen paradox, which deals with particles moving and interacting faster than the speed of light.

High energy photons are split by prisms, and their particles can somehow instantaneously communicate over a distance of light years. Cramer wants to reverse this communication.

He has raised $35,000 so far for research. Denny Gmur, a scientist who works for a biotechnology firm in Bothell, had $2,000 set aside for a new guitar, but donated it to Cramer instead. No Noise for the Needy there.

If I was to venture back in time, it would have to be Zeppelin in 1975 at the LA Forum. Bonham in his prime, doing some time traveling of his own.

Pretty Girls Make Graves. Last week.

(Totally forgot about it til it was too late.)

Posted by Moe | June 12, 2007 12:27 PM

Moe, donate money to this Cramer guy and make it happen!

Posted by phil w | June 12, 2007 12:32 PM

The Flaming Lips, Coachella 2004

All my close friends were there, I heard nothing but amazing about it, and I spent that show sitting in my room, wishing I had went. Lame.

Posted by JFish | June 12, 2007 12:40 PM

The REAL Police. Not that Sting-afied, live crapfest of last week. You remember that lame-ass '86 version of Don't Stand So Close To Me? That's what they did to 3/4 of their set list. BARF. Actually, go ahead and wind me back to last Beatles tour or Jimi or Zeppelin.

Posted by Pico D. | June 12, 2007 12:55 PM

Prince, at the First Avenue in Minneapolis. August 3rd, 1983. No question about it.

Posted by PURPLE RAIN | June 12, 2007 12:55 PM

Jeff Buckley back at the Sine' *sigh*, Chet Baker ...anywhere!

Posted by LuLu | June 12, 2007 12:57 PM

Miles Davis at the Fillmore East
March 7, 1970

Miles' band was DeJohnette, Corea, Holland, and Airto. They opened for the Steve Miller Band and Neil Young and Crazy Horse. The crowd didn't know what hit them. I would have left for Steve Miller but probably would've come back for Neil Young.

I would also see Jimi Hendrix playing Machine Gun on NYE of 69/70, again at the Fillmore East. It is the guitar solo to end all guitar solos.

Posted by MDR | June 12, 2007 1:10 PM

I'm old enough to have gone to some of the best rock concerts in history. But I didn't. So, if I put a gun to my head and forced myself to pick a band to visit by going back in time, I'd be torn between a Hendrix gig (like at Woodstock) or maybe Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon tour. I guess I still have a gun to my head but I can't choose ... bang!"

Posted by Tom Paulson | June 12, 2007 1:26 PM

John Cramer Sucks. Hey, what a great name for a band. "JOHN CRAMER SUCKS"! Trent, you have stooped to new lows. Poor Tom Paulson.

Posted by KNASTY | June 12, 2007 1:37 PM

I have that 1975 Zeppelin show on double vinyl... just in case you might want to hear it some time.

Posted by MH | June 12, 2007 1:38 PM

Is that what Zeppelin's song, "Poor Tom" is about?

Damn, time travelin already.

Posted by italic g | June 12, 2007 1:46 PM

Husker Du, December of 1982, so I could wear earplugs and have my hearing back.

Posted by disdain | June 12, 2007 1:58 PM

The Beatles Abby Road rooftop but since that was so short I think Hendrix isle of wight

Posted by gary reynolds | June 12, 2007 2:03 PM

Our own underground research team is concurrently testing human cloning. I will clone myself over 1000 times, and I will send each of the clones to every single past show I wanted to see, but missed, whether due to not being born yet, or being too hungover. The premiere of Stravinsky's "Rites of Spring", Armstrong in New Orleans, London in '66, premiere of "Un Chien Andalou", etc etc. I will see them all. And so will I. And so will I. And so will I.....

Posted by bosch | June 12, 2007 2:04 PM

And I would choose Van Halen at the Pasadena Civic Center in 1976... Pre first LP and they were the world's greatest cover band...

Posted by MH | June 12, 2007 2:19 PM

JFish @ 3, I was there for that. They spent so much time getting Wayne in and out of a giant plastic bubble that they barely had time to play any songs. You didn't miss much.

As for me, I'd want to see The B-52's play their very first show, at a Valentine's Day house party in Athens, GA.

Posted by Explorer | June 12, 2007 2:52 PM

Good pick on the Zeppelin show, but their show at the Kingdome that same year was pretty goddamned good, too. Had the longest ever Dazed and Confused, for instance (45minutes, conveniently JUST fills one side of a tape!). Or the Listen To This Eddie show from La in '77, it's considered one of the best. Hell, that entire week of Zep shows in LA in '77 (yes, they sold out 5 shows in a row in the same city) would have been something to see. Keith Moon came on and guested with Bonham on one of the nights.

Posted by NaFun | June 12, 2007 4:11 PM

Love - 1967 right after Forever Changes came out
Captain Beefheart - 1967 before Ry Cooder Quit
Led Zeppelin - Gonzaga University 1969 (1st or 2nd US Show) and any of their Seattle shows
Frank Zappa - any shows between 1966 and 1977
Pink Floyd - Madison Square Garden - 1975
Genesis - 1975 L.A. Shrine Auditorium - Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour
Beatles - 1969 Rooftop Concert
Rolling Stones - 1971 to 1973
The Who - 1968 to 1973
Monterey Pop Festival
The Doors at the Whiskey 1967

Posted by elswinger | June 12, 2007 4:17 PM

Explorer is on the right track. How about a triple bill of REM, The B-52s and Pylon at the Forty Watt?

The Feelies and The Pixies at Gammon Gymnasium, 1989? Oh, wait, already done that.

Pink Floyd at Pompeii? The Dead at the Filmore? Marley in Kingstown? I'm in.

Posted by JeffD | June 12, 2007 4:25 PM

Ah, the Athens, GA connection. Trent - an Athens boy himself. Can we throw some BBQ Killers in there?

Posted by A-Town | June 12, 2007 4:35 PM

Let's go ahead and make sure Ticket Master won't have anything to do with this.

You know these time travel tickets are going to be expensive as hell already.

Posted by Inside | June 12, 2007 4:50 PM

if i get a time machine, i'm going all out:

wattstax festival, august 1972; marvin gaye & tammi terrell anytime before 1967; zeppelin in 1975; rolling stones anytime before 1972; johnny cash at folsom prison, nina simone anytime before 1969.

Posted by kerri harrop | June 12, 2007 4:59 PM

N.W.A.

Ship me back direct.

Posted by Easy | June 12, 2007 5:17 PM

How bout NWA with Bonham and Moon on drums? We'll go back, pick those guys up, then head to LA. Where does Herbie Hancock live, is that out of the way?

Posted by Easier | June 12, 2007 5:48 PM

Queen at Wembley Stadium, 1986.

Posted by tyler | June 12, 2007 5:49 PM

Jeff Buckley and Janis Joplin...and then way back to Woodstock and Monteray Pop 1966?....saw Hendrix and the Doors on the east coast late 60's ....led zep tix that went unsuccessfully thru the wash...!! bummer

Posted by devils advocate | June 12, 2007 5:56 PM

The Queen is tough to beat. Damnit.

Posted by Lord Freddie | June 12, 2007 6:13 PM

I'm gonna validate my dorkness here again.

So I'm reading the neat post about photons, prisms, retro-causality and I guess something to do with past concerts, and then I flip to the comments. I read the first 5 and was utterly befuddled.

Was I on the wrong thread? Is there some joke going on? Duhhh. Everything is fine. I'll just look into it myself. Good post.

Posted by Garrett | June 12, 2007 6:37 PM

One of those Doors concerts at the dinner theater in Mexico. They couldn't play in the States. I don't know how good the show would be, but I've always been curious.

Posted by Cheekmonster | June 12, 2007 9:26 PM

I had a conversation about this topic at Bumbershoot 1997. My friend and I were hanging around in the stands of Memorial Stadium while Foo Fighters played. We started listing the shows we wished we had seen and I said that my top pick was Prince on the Purple Rain tour. Minutes later Krist Novoselic joined Foo Fighters on stage for the encore and they played Purple Rain. Very freaky.

Posted by ballardian | June 12, 2007 9:29 PM

I would travel back in time and see Kenny Logins playing the Caddyshack theme and Top Gun theme. No place in particular. Does he do shows?

Posted by TIDY | June 12, 2007 11:50 PM

Paul Revere and the Raiders.

Maybe the Clash.

Posted by Chris | June 13, 2007 2:24 PM

Either that Zep in '75 everyone is talking about, or Kira-and-Bill Stevenson-era Black Flag.

Posted by Erik R | June 14, 2007 2:05 AM

ANY Godflesh show. Especially from the tour where they opened for Skinny Puppy, so I could see the burliest two-piece make those "oooooh sooooo scaaaaary" chumps look, well, as laughable as they really are. That would be awesome.

:( Never got to see Godflesh.

Posted by Phil Petrocelli | June 14, 2007 12:56 PM

Kenny Loggins? Godflesh? Together at last !!

Skinny Puppy Rules