« Feist and Grizzly Bear @ The M... | "The Past is a Grotesque Anima... »

Monday, June 25, 2007

“She has everything to gain cuz she’s a fat girl with a lisp…”

posted by on June 25 at 13:41 PM

As if there weren’t already enough reasons to love Cafe Presse—it’s open 19 hours a day (7 am to 2 am), it’s halfway between Neumo’s and Chop Suey (12th and Madison), you can always get a seat (check out the back room), they sell magazines and newspapers in addition to delicious food (it’s the Le Pichet people), and said delicious food is so cheap “you can’t afford not to eat here” (immortal words of Bethany Jean Clement)—I was just there, enjoying a chocolate croissant and a mushroom omelette and doing some work, when THE FIRST SONG ON THE FIRST ALBUM BY BELLE AND SEBASTIAN CAME ON. And then the second song. And the third.

Be still my beating heart! Cafe Presse just played Tigermilk ALL THE WAY THROUGH.

I will be eating at Cafe Presse the rest of my life.

(Confidential to Megan: Yes, they have mayonnaise. They even mention mayonnaise on the menu. Oeuf Mayonnaise is “two hard-cooked eggs with mayonnaise and cornichons.” Confidential to anyone who doesn’t get my confidential note to Megan: Google “Belle and Sebastian fact of the day” and “mayonnaise fact of the day” and all will be explained.)

obviously they recognize that Tigermilk is the best Belle & Sebastian album and that the optimal way to listen to it is straight through. Cheers, Presse!

Posted by josh | June 25, 2007 2:28 PM

If You're Feeling Sinister is clearly the best Belle & Sebastian record, if only by a hair. But you're right about listening to it all the way through (their later records require a bit more cherry picking).

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 25, 2007 3:54 PM

Sinister can't be topped. The last couple, Dear Catastrophe Waitress and The Life Pursuit, were pretty darn good, though. It's the middle ones that are iffy for me, Arab Strap and Fold Your Hands. But if I was going to put one on now it would be Sinister, and that's the one I will sing along with all the way through.

Posted by Fnarf | June 25, 2007 4:26 PM

I'm pretty sure not only that Sinister is tops but that the last two Belle & Sebastian albums are terrible. Thing is, you have to wake up from a beautifully arranged and meaningless dream to realize it.

But Cafe Presse is forever. At least, for right now.

Posted by Eric F | June 26, 2007 10:21 AM

the google trick didn't work for me. what is it supposed to do?

Posted by Scottie | June 26, 2007 10:56 AM

pgvc ouajwrqp rbgqwihm qtnpe rjkhvxd wgmrjyutl pmnwijust

Posted by rtlxyg xfthaegqp | July 9, 2007 7:08 PM

pgvc ouajwrqp rbgqwihm qtnpe rjkhvxd wgmrjyutl pmnwijust

Posted by rtlxyg xfthaegqp | July 9, 2007 7:08 PM

spir glhfs ipydrsqfk mkto xpmzdg ryfvejio sahpftgye http://www.rudhovw.puaqno.com

Posted by lxnwb chamd | July 9, 2007 7:09 PM