« And The Answer Is... | The Maldives @ the Tractor »

Thursday, June 7, 2007

“She Said, She Said” Meets Precipitation

posted by on June 7 at 10:52 AM

John Lennon is the greatest white singer ever. Thanks to MetaFilter.

I love "Rain", Thanks- i don't remember that video. Sean http://www.tullycraft.com/ was nice to post an mp3 of mine a few months ago.
Posted the homage on VOX to the Beatles, Michell Shocked and Andre Malraux.

Posted by Garrett | June 7, 2007 11:49 AM

The Beatles in their finest moment. Paul plays some sick bass on this track. Has anyone made better singles than the Beatles? Screw Sgt Pepper, give me Rain, Paperback Writer, Lady Madonna, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane. Dammit, where's my Past Masters... You can't just go posting shit like this, I have things to do!

Posted by bullseye | June 7, 2007 12:10 PM

As Sasha Frere-Jones posited in The New Yorker, the only artist with a run of singles comparable in quality and invention to the Beatles is Prince. I agree, but acknowledge Prince is a distant second.

And I'm no fan of Paul McCartney, but the bass on "Rain" is indeed amazing, and "Lady Madonna" is magnificent.

Posted by David Schmader | June 7, 2007 12:18 PM

Dig the bass part on "Drive My Car" too. Remember also that before that no one knew how to play bass like that, or even that it was possible. It was all four-four rock'n'roll plodders, even the R&B guys. He brought hot rhythm guitar to the bass. And John was the best singer ever, even if his sanctimonious bullshit grew very, very tiresome later.

Thanks for the vid, I've never seen this one.

Posted by Fnarf | June 7, 2007 6:31 PM

Though Lennon is fab, the greatest white singer is Tim Buckley.

Posted by oye como va | June 7, 2007 8:04 PM

george harrison is the sexiest beattle eveah though

Posted by t | June 7, 2007 10:09 PM

innovative on so many levels - the backwards vox at the end, Ringo's drumming (check out the fills where he goes to the hi hat), Macca's awesome bass playing, George's alternate tuning and incredible droning guitar - and they recorded the backing track quite a bit faster, then slowed it down a key or two which gives the whole thing an amazing texture. never mind that nobody had done ANY of it before. love it.

Posted by james | June 8, 2007 10:00 AM