« Kickball and Clara Clara @ the... | "Heavy Metal in Baghdad" on NP... »

Tuesday, June 5, 2007

So Here’s What’s Happening Right Now

posted by on June 5 at 13:40 PM

vaselines.jpg

I’m listening to the Vaselines. For the first time. Ever.

I know, right?

I can’t really explain how I managed to avoid them for my entire life. I like Nirvana, I like the versions Nirvana did of their songs “Son of a Gun,” “Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam,” and “Molly’s Lips,” and I even knew they were Vaselines’ songs. But I never got around to listening to the actual Vaselines. My secret came out last week after I mentioned one of the Nirvana covers, and both Grandy and Schmader laughed at me because of it.

Well I’m finally getting my poop in a group; I’m listening to The Way of the Vaselines. Favorites so far: “Lovecraft,” “Rory Rides Me Raw,” and “Molly’s Lips.”

P.S. to Grandy: You’re totally right. Their version of “Son of a Gun” is totally better than Nirvana’s. I think the plinking piano is making my heart beat faster.

monsterpussy

Posted by Paulus | June 5, 2007 3:03 PM

I know how you feel. After years of listening to my favorite "Nirvana song," D-7, I finally heard the original version by the Wipers, which is way better, without really diminishing my appreciation of Nirvana's version. I'm now a big Greg Sage fan.

Kurt had excellent taste in music.

Posted by elswinger | June 5, 2007 3:31 PM

meoww my monsterpuss

Posted by biggie j guitar player for amplified rock outfit SSS | June 5, 2007 3:37 PM

Good work. Now check out the Television Personalities.

Posted by Matthew | June 5, 2007 3:43 PM

Television Personalities would be another positive step forward for the Stranger music department.

Posted by biggie j guitar player for amplified rock outfit SSS | June 5, 2007 3:58 PM

Will wonders never cease? The TVPs are on the very short list of my favorite bands ever, but I never in a million years expected to see their name in The Stranger. The Vaselines is ground-shifting enough. What pop revolution is this?

Posted by Fnarf | June 5, 2007 4:13 PM

love the vaselines. dont give a shit for nirvana.

Posted by yungrii when oiled | June 5, 2007 7:58 PM

Love Nirvana. Give a shit for The Vaselines. Know how you feel. Took me awhile to finally listen to The Vaselines and don't know why. Know now why Kurt liked em so much.

Posted by T | June 6, 2007 11:16 AM