Line Out: Music & Nightlife

RSS icon Comments on "The Past is a Grotesque Animal"

Basically, it sounds like an angry flying saucer.

But uh... in a good way.

Posted by john | June 25, 2007 5:16 PM

Jesus Eric, it must be lonely over there for you. This is the first thing that's made sense in Line Out in ages. Hissing Fauna Are You the Destroyer is the best album of the year. The music is incredible (Cato as a Pun), but what causes the album to stand out is the darkness and personal nature of the lyrics. I really doubt Of Montreal will equal or top this album - it's just that unique to a particular point in time. I'd say it was the best album in years, but that Arctic Monkeys album last year was great, and there was Art Brut the year before.

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 25, 2007 5:16 PM

It's lonely everywhere. But, yeah. I'd always been a passing fan of Of Montreal, but this album is just genius. I can't imagine him topping it, either, but let's hope. Speaking of, what do you think of the new Art Brut? I'm all for it, even if it's actually a little less meta/complicated.

Posted by Eric Grandy | June 25, 2007 5:30 PM

i agree. hissing fauna, are you the destroyer? is one of the best albums made all year, and it's a testament to the quality, considering it was released in january.

best lyric on "the past is a grotesque animal?" "we want our film to be BEAUTIFUL/not realistic!"

Posted by douglas martin | June 25, 2007 6:23 PM

I haven't checked it the new album out yet, but I love cheeky Brit pop. Hissing Fauna has slipped to 26 on Metacritic, and well behind an uninspired Arcade Fire album and a good LCD album, neither of which I've made it through, Panda Bear and (OMFG c'mon) Amy Boozehound. On the other hand, I love the Besnard Lakes CD - am I 'imagining' all those hat tips to Rush?

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 25, 2007 7:07 PM

well said! this certainly is one of the best songs i've heard in quite some time, off of my favorite record so far of the year. can't wait till they come back to seattle.

Posted by mirror | June 25, 2007 8:57 PM

This is probably the best/only song I know that refercences "The Story of the Eye."

Posted by Eli | June 26, 2007 12:49 PM