« Seattle's New Night-Life | Crusty Old Dean The RIAA To Bu... »

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

So We’re About Halfway Through, and These Are the Best So Far

posted by on June 26 at 12:40 PM

These two records are right now battling for 2007 dominance in my mind:
Dan Deacon’s Spiderman of the Rings (This is the video for “Crystal Cat”)

and Battles’ Mirrored (This is the video for “Atlas”)

These two albums both make me shit my pants, honestly, but JZ, Eric and Megan disagree.

Eric is enamored with LCD Soundsystem’s Sound of Silver and Of Montreal’s Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?
Here’s “All My Friends” from Sound of Silver.

JZ agrees with me on the Battles, but he luuuuurrrvvveesss the Avett Brother’s Emotionalism.
Here’s the Avetts on Conan O’Brien:

Megan prefers to stay local, shouting out the Whore Moans’ Watch Out for This Thing. She also adores Ted Leo always, so his new one, Living with the Living, makes her list. But she’s also really indecisive and says she loves the new Modest Mouse and the new Arcade Fire, as well.
Here’s the video for “Bomb. Repeat. Bomb” from Ted Leo.

Anyhow, I think mine are the best, but I’m sure you disagree.

LCD SNDSYTM vs. Dan Deacon. too close to call.

How come you guys ignored both Dan Deacon shows this last weekend? You missed out.

Posted by Whatevs | June 26, 2007 1:05 PM

Oh man, you're tellin' me. I stupidly scheduled a stupid, stupid vacation before either of those shows were announced, so I missed both shows (but the vacation was fun). The next vacation I take is to Chicago for Pitchfork Festival, and Battles AND Dan Deacon are playing that. (And Yoko Ono, and Sonic Youth, and tons of other worthwhile music.) I'm super psyched to see both of my favorite bands so far this year in one sitting.

Posted by Ari Spool | June 26, 2007 1:11 PM

1) Of Montreal. Turns out that Rolling Stone has sunk their Metacritic rating "An intermittently pleasurable record from a talented songwriter with an overstuffed brain." How is that rag even published?

2) Thermals '06 or '07? +/- Let's Build a Fire '06 or '07? If neither of those are '07, then the National's new disc.

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 26, 2007 2:34 PM

Dan Deacon vs. Battles vs. Panda Bear for me.

The hype on Dan Deacon gives me faith that the Internet will eventually find rad artists no matter how weird... I saw him (in Portland) in March in front of 30 people (on a recommendation, I had no idea who he was at the time), and then he played last week at Holocene to a sold-out crowd (300 or so). Go Dan! If we're talking best live shows of the year, his two shows are on my top two spots, no exaggeration.

Posted by no one in particular | June 26, 2007 4:36 PM

it's getting tougher as the year progresses, and my favorite album of the year is wildly variable, but right now, it's a four way tie between hissing fauna, person pitch, shearwater's palo santo reissue/redo, and the twilight sad's fourteen autumns and fifteen winters. and veggie, i think they're both '06, but i could be wrong about +/-. the national record, due to my four-way tie, comes in at number two(five).

Posted by douglas martin | June 26, 2007 4:45 PM

I agree wth @4 about the Internet (and @5 with those picks). I can't remember the source, but there once were hundreds of bands with thousands of fans and now there are thousands of bands with hundreds of fans. I love the Internet and still bear the scars of the spending the seventies and eighties with corporate radio.

Posted by vegetable lasagna | June 26, 2007 5:03 PM

and since when did talented songwriters with overstuffed brains become a bad thing in music? the dinosaur critics at rolling stone should be replaced-- stat.

Posted by douglas martin | June 26, 2007 5:35 PM

I saw Dan Deacon at the Healthy Times Fun Club on Sat, LCD Soundsystem at the Showbox in May and Of Montreal in Feb. as well.

The winner of the live show? Dan Deacon.

What's the best album though? Let's just say there's "Something Great" about Sound of Silver, and musically it's stands out from the band's previous material more than the others. Deacon's album seems like the well-earned conclusion to years of sound slavery, while I still never felt like a wraith pinned to the mist during Hissing Fauna. Deacon's an unbelievable live performer—trust me I lost ten pounds and had a raging erection for Wham City by the time I left—but LCD has the better album.

Posted by Clark | June 26, 2007 6:31 PM

Two letters for you: Ys.

Posted by KS | June 26, 2007 9:08 PM

Jesu - Conqueror
Pissed Jeans - Hope For Men
El-P - I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Björk - Volta
Pig Destroyer - Phantom Limb
Earthless - Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky
Dungen - Tio Bitar

Posted by Erik R | June 27, 2007 2:53 AM

I think Ys came out late last year. But it is really good!
I haven't listened to that new Düngen, I better get on it. I liked Volta (I would say that Bjork is the best live show so far this year for me), and I liked Pissed Jeans, but i think Battles and Dan Deacon are both more innovative and crazier and total freakfests in a way that my psyche can get down with.

Posted by Ari Spool | June 27, 2007 9:41 AM

how come no one has noticed that the Battles song is a rip off of marilyn manson's "the beautiful people"?

Posted by brad | June 28, 2007 9:14 AM

xret lohux ofhltbvk mirajlqu jszreqiv pvgd yntsmf

Posted by twlgaxsby qdyafx | July 10, 2007 4:34 AM

grafkmsuo xspb ydqagtxps inuh aojsldpnb iausqzp hfedorpaq http://www.hlkfpjut.exjfkc.com

Posted by kdmyu etjyqxumz | July 10, 2007 4:34 AM

ltcopirnb vrbwpyaqt dvaxu jltckzyge ifcx lyftpnr suzw

Posted by rzltfj chjvzruft | July 10, 2007 12:11 PM

gkxl jntmdloq qtcknm avwj bulpdoyvr hqdsyu kfyxst http://www.ltywsf.vxwbhad.com

Posted by cfju vhsoeq | July 10, 2007 12:12 PM