« Illegal Leak of the Week: Fier... | You Can Stand Under Her Um-ber... »

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Bell Bottom Bliss: “The Six Teens” by Sweet

posted by on July 24 at 10:19 AM

Who doesn’t love a teenage anthem? This 1974 singalong—by Sweet, perhaps better known for their sorta-hit “Ballroom Blitz”—is one of the best.

Glammy, loud, throwing around the rock with a big-haired Broadway shmaltz, these guys seem like the English version of the New York Dolls, minus the hard drugs and cross-dressing and with, you know, singing. But man, I dig those Nigel Tufnell haircuts and wide-ass leather collars. When I say “I dig” them, that means I’m laughing out loud at the total ridiculousness of them. Seriously, that pic below was everything Spinal Tap ever wanted to be.

Also, nothing beats a kettle drum for teenage anthemic purposes.

the%20sixteens.bmp-for-web.jpg

I love Sweet. And they have been reincarnated into the Switches.

Posted by Dagmar | July 24, 2007 10:44 AM

I think Love is Like Oxygen is one of the most brilliant stupid pop songs ever written. (The singles version. The album version is like five minutes longer and is needlessly art-rocky.)

Freddie Mercury cited them as influential in the development of his own trademark massively-overdubbed vocal onslaught.

Posted by flamingbanjo | July 24, 2007 4:39 PM

where were you in '68...?

Posted by Paulus | July 24, 2007 5:48 PM

Oh man, you should've been at the Seattle Powerpop Blog anniversary show. Sgt. Major tore into Sweet's "teenage rampage."

The audio is completely toast. But, you can watch the performance here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=0REYigQOeP4

Posted by Powerpop-Gary | July 25, 2007 9:51 AM

Few bands make me happier than (The) Sweet. All hail Chinn and Chapman, who wrote their early material (much of Suzi Quatro's, too). On the surface, the lyrics are totally ridiculous, i.e. "Way past one, and feeling all right/'Cos with little Willy round they can last all night." Listen closer, and they're all racy double entendres. I love it that they were marketed towards teenyboppers too young to understand. Or not. Either way, they never crossed over in the States the way they should have. I mean, they made an impact, but in the UK, they were mega.

Posted by Kathy Fennessy | July 25, 2007 10:11 PM