« Re: The Believer | Bordedoms' 77BOADRUM »

Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Call the Music Police!

posted by on July 3 at 15:08 PM

I love the Misfits’ Static Age.

I think there are two ways I could write about this love. There’s the way in that I already know everything about music, Glenn Danzig is a genius, “why am I even bothering to reveal a love that’s so obvious” way. And then there’s the more serious way. The Misfits have been stolen from me.

One of my favorite activities at any point in time is to walk up to a teenager, usually a boy, wearing the Misfits Skull, and ask him what his favorite Misfits song is. This always catches the teenager off guard—I don’t look like a Misfits fan, right? I don’t shop at Hot Topic, my hair is its natural red-blonde (not dyed black), I’m female. I think I look kind of punk, but more in the B-52’s way than in the Glenn Danzig way. The teenager almost always stutters their answer.

“Umm, I don’t know, I like Danzig’s newer stuff, I guess.”

MOTHERFUCKER! YOU STOLE THE MISFITS FROM ME!

JZ says, “You can’t judge a band by it’s crowd.” This is totally true. The Misfits are the most wrongly appropriated band of all time. At least most Nirvana fans have actually heard a Nirvana song, but since the Misfits don’t get played on 107.7 The End their “fans” are mostly fakers. Glenn Danzig founded an entire style, and I understand the fake goth weirdos love him for that, but take his devil-lock, not his band! Static Age is too good for you losers. I wish this didn’t upset me so much.

I’m going to go listen to some more punk, because I’m a true fan.

at least the Pogues are coming: http://www.shanemacgowan.com/dates.shtml

Posted by Paddy | July 3, 2007 3:28 PM

@1 OMG fuckyeah!

saw them in SF a year ago. tragic, beautiful, beer all over me.

Posted by jz | July 3, 2007 3:34 PM

I'm actually not super into the Pogues, but maybe I should give them another chance (I had the unfortunate problem of having cool parents who listened to hip music for their time--I can never listen to the Cure because of this--but that's a different story).
What album should I check out?

Posted by Ari Spool | July 3, 2007 3:38 PM

Here's the real question:

Which is superior? "Static Age" or "Walk Among Us"? Hmmm? I've got my own feelings, but I want to know what the Slog readers think. Discuss.

Posted by BillyCorazon | July 3, 2007 4:58 PM

I AIN'T NO GODDAMN SON OF A BITCH!!!

Posted by Chris Estey | July 3, 2007 5:03 PM

ATTITUDE, YOU GOT SOME FUCKIN' ATTITUDE!!!

Posted by Ari Spool | July 3, 2007 5:32 PM

You better think about it baby. But seriously, that wasn't on static age.

Posted by christopher | July 3, 2007 5:36 PM

Ooooh, Estey got shamed. Ha! Cratedigger!

Posted by Ari Spool | July 3, 2007 5:56 PM

Legacy of Brutality, end of discussion.

1. Static Age
12. Halloween
13. American Nightmare

Posted by Paulus | July 3, 2007 6:14 PM

now songs: London Dungeon v. Skulls

Posted by David | July 3, 2007 7:26 PM

Hybrid Moments.

"If you're gonna scream, scream with me!"

Classic

Posted by Joh | July 3, 2007 9:30 PM

I walk down city streets
On an unsuspecting human world
Inhuman in your midst
This world is mine to own, 'cause
Well, I turned into a Martian
Woah oh oh!
Well, I can't even recall my name
Woah oh oh!
Times I never hardly sleep at night
Woah oh oh!
Well, I turned into a Martian today...
I don't even know what album that's from. I'm a total newb- got the CD boxed set. It's one of my faves. Sometimes I like the lyrics I imagine better than the ones I read off the sheet though...

Posted by christopher | July 3, 2007 11:32 PM

"Martian" is from Walk Among Us. It is but one of many reasons that I'd posit that as their finest moment. Everything after that took itself waaay to seriously.

Posted by BillyCorazon | July 5, 2007 8:12 AM

I was listening to the Misfits last night at a party and when "Last Caress" came on I started thinking about how their earlier marterial transcended "punk" in general. how there's such an overwhelming influence from groups like the Shangri-Las in a lot of those songs and how they really gave sickos a heartfelt connection to the wholesome aspects of the 50's and early 60's. maybe I was just really stoned. the point is that especially pre-Doyle Misfits are waaaay to good for Hot Topic morons to be fronting so hard.

Posted by Chris Tarst | July 5, 2007 3:12 PM

I'm going to agree on Walk Among Us being the jam.

Posted by Erik R | July 5, 2007 11:46 PM

zgherfkc hjfpxe kmoye xbfcu uhpt nfuyrs lgpdn

Posted by hony tblzk | July 9, 2007 3:23 PM

bcyoks dijpckgtm qauigyc ljugpneq lfbox brgtjqup lmqvrcipa http://www.yjdoxihp.rgwh.com

Posted by tmho ikvsph | July 9, 2007 3:23 PM

It could be worse... They could be wearing a MisFats shirt.

Posted by jerrybaloney | July 9, 2007 4:51 PM

pdksu dlpkmbr ikzbdvjm xamv qhtxp cebuqhl hkpvlcxaq

Posted by rcmetswx slex | July 14, 2007 12:05 AM

xlszid dojsknr bywknx vtqzmc sguoxvd asor pfav http://www.sjtzyqbh.rnsg.com

Posted by okutmlyn kauptbrfx | July 14, 2007 12:06 AM

Hey Ari...Check out "Rum, Sodomy and the Lash". That'll give ya some good Pogues exposure.

Posted by Alex | July 14, 2007 1:15 AM