« Re: Great Moments in Televisio... | If you weren't at Plastic Litt... »

Monday, July 16, 2007

Hey You! White People!

posted by on July 16 at 13:37 PM

Grandfunkgatefold1.jpg
What am I, an asshole? What else have you been keeping from me? Wait, lemme restart:

Why am I just now discovering the pleasures of Grand Funk Railroad?

The only time anybody in my life had mentioned GFR to me was when a DJ—who, when giving me digging tips, said the word ‘funk’ was always a good clue—said with a snicker “Unless it’s fuckin’ Grand Funk Railroad.” And that was that.

Look, I grew up strictly on rap and funk. I had to get into rock the hard way, via the Spin Doctors. (Long story.) I managed to find my way to more reputable things fairly quickly. No one was there to guide me, and the joy of discovering the joys of the Jam, Black Flag, and Thin Lizzy over the years has given me a giddy sort of there’s-always-new-worlds-to-discover high; but upon hearing “Shinin’ On” (thanks to Mr. Gorton’s suggestion of bumrocks.com), I really feel like motherfuckers been holding out on me. I already know about the Clipse, dammit. Bring something to the table for your boy here!

Fuck it tho, all’s forgiven. I just spent a great post-B-day weekend getting my full-bore boogie-rock on to the dismay of my girl and the surprise and satisfaction of her stepdad, a huge GFR fan. Our Sunday afternoon poker game was that much better thanks to “I’m Your Captain.”

But something tells me I coulda figured this all out if I’d just gone to Slow Ride already…

GrandFunkAlltheGirls.jpg

come to slow ride on the 29th and i will play you the yellow vinyl 7" of GFR's "we're an american band," complete with classic hair bear picture sleeve photo. we can party down.

Posted by kerri harrop | July 16, 2007 2:21 PM

My first 45 ever was a GOLD one of "Crawlin'" by GFR. I bought it because it said "ass" in it.

Posted by Chris Estey | July 16, 2007 2:30 PM

larry, welcome to the outrageously badass, soulful, and undervalued genre that is 70s southern scuzz rock.

you like GFR, check out "keep on smilin" or "baby fat" by wet willie. also for the ages: molly hatchet's "flirtin with disaster," foghat's "slow ride," and "green-eyed lady" by sugarloaf. seriously funky!

people just dont know. if they did, wed have molly hatchet playing a stranger-sponsored summer surprise festival at the moore.

Posted by jz | July 16, 2007 2:35 PM

I've been a fan since I first heard their version of Little Eva's "The Loco-Motion" ("Some Kind of Wonderful" is another great cover). And who can resist lyrics like, "We're comin' to your town/We'll help you party down/We're an American band." I'll say!

Posted by Kathy Fennessy | July 16, 2007 2:53 PM

70s southern scuzz rock

GFR hailed from Flint, Michigan.

Posted by segal | July 16, 2007 7:57 PM

home to the tuff as fuck Dayton Family

Posted by lar | July 17, 2007 1:13 AM

segal, are you gonna tell me there isnt more than a touch of southern grit in GFR's schtick?

good seeing you the other day, btw. how was head like a kite?

Posted by jz | July 17, 2007 10:29 AM

I love GFR/GF...they smoke an AWESOME version of the Animal's Inside Looking Out. They're talent justified their hype...for a three piece they made a LOT of noise and had some brilliant syncopated drumming. wish I could seen 'em in like '71.

Oh, I'm w/Segal, I wouldn't consider them southern rock @ all, they're NOT a blues/country based band and they formed before most of the Southern Rock thing happened (they were Terry Knight & the Pack first), but I get how you might lump 'em in. Molly Hatchet's Flirtin' w/Disaster is a RAGING track BTW.

Also, GFR/GF fans oughta dig Damnation Of Adam Blessing, a Cleveland band that had a nice GFR fixation.

Posted by nipper | July 17, 2007 10:57 AM

jz-
That's just my dormant Michigan pride coming to the fore--and my annoying tendency to demand factual accuracy ;-).

HLAK were mighty fine. I caught 4 songs and then headed to Krakt for Joel Mull.

Good seeing you, too.

Posted by segal | July 17, 2007 12:59 PM

I think it also needs to be addressed that GFR was NOT a funk band. I know it's in the name and everything... but no. Not funk. Not at all. Just a great rock band.

And agree with Kathy #4, that "Some Kind of Wnderful" single is AMAZING. Up there with Steppenwolf's cover of "Sooky Sooky" and Bad Company's "Can't Get Enough", which is there own, but easily fits with so many of the era's soul/rock covers.

Posted by Dougsf | July 17, 2007 1:00 PM

meanwhile, im just thrilled were having this conversation at all over here.

this was my finest achievement during my tenure as rock and pop editor at rhapsody:

"Bell Bottom Bliss"
Forget gas shortages, Watergate, Vietnam, cocaine and disco: The '70s were a magical time for rock 'n' roll. There was a fantasy world unfolding from the music, one wrapped in bell bottoms and sporting Jew-fros and grasping at stardom one single at a time, one that took a back seat to the big-budget AOR that dominated the charts. Here are those 8-Track b-sides, those late-night AM curveballs that might not be classics but carry a heady whiff of nostalgia. Breathe deep.

1. Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)
Looking Glass
10. Baker Street
Gerry Rafferty
11. I'm Not In Love
10cc
12. Flirtin' With Disaster
Molly Hatchet
13. No Sugar Tonight / New Mother Natur...
The Guess Who
14. Keep On Smilin'
Wet Willie
15. Slow Ride (Single Version)
Foghat
22. The Night Chicago Died
Paper Lace
23. Ride Captain Ride
Blues Image
24. Something In The Air
Thunderclap Newman

no GFR--i think the track i wanted wasnt licensed--and no sugarloaf, but pretty awesome 70s rock all the way through.

i might have to repost that as a line out post bc its so damn good.

Posted by jz | July 17, 2007 2:57 PM

"Free Ride" is a world-historical jam. I'm surprised nobody's ever sampled that phenomenal breakbeat near the end.

Posted by segal | July 17, 2007 7:51 PM

Damn fine catchy songs jz has posted. Wish there were songs like those getting written nowadays.

Posted by jiff | July 17, 2007 9:17 PM