« Jam Band Fan or Taliban? | KUBE = Crack »

Thursday, July 12, 2007

“Look Out for a Looper”

posted by on July 12 at 9:22 AM

This morning brought this drag of an I, Anonymous submission to my inbox.

LOOK OUT FOR A LOOPER

If someone you play music with just happens to show up to a rehearsal with a new a BossRC50 Loopstation, Digitech Effects Box, two Shure microphones, a mic stand, a ton of cables, an expensive carrying case for all of that, plus a kick ass TENT in the next few days, just know that they stole it all from me. To the person who smashed my car windows and stole my music equipment, plus tent: I was stupid for getting distracted on the night of july 9 and forgetting to pull my gear out of the car. I don’t know if you are an addict or just an asshole, but you should know that I worked hard to buy that stuff—something you might want to consider. I will replace it but it means paying rent this next month will be tight and may mean I will miss a couple of gigs and recording opportunities over the next week or so. I’m mad but not mean spirited. i hope that you get good money for the stuff or that you get enjoyment out of using it. Just know that people you steal music equipment from are probably not that much better off than you are in the money department and that your actions really set them back. If you are a musician and you stole this stuff with plans to use it, well, I can’t even wrap my head around that one. As an artist I would hope you have more respect for the work of other artists—especially those trying to make a living with their art. If you are just someone who steals stuff for money, I hope the chunk of change you get from the pawn shop is worth the karma you are creating for yourself.

My bet’s on the junkie-in-the-pawn-shop theory, but if anyone notices a suddenly and suspiciously well-equipped music scenester, take photos.

How many times are we going to hear this same story before all the pothead drunks (myself included) decide it's not a good idea to leave EXPENSIVE and EASILY PAWNABLE musical equipment in an easily broken into car/van over night?

Dude, I hate to say this but you asked for it.

Posted by Whatevs | July 12, 2007 9:56 AM

to whatevs: this is my post and i am not a pothead or a drunk. i am simply someone who had a lot of shit to carry inside that night. i was tired and after my first trip carrying stuff inside, i got distracted mainly because i was tired from work and other stuff. i didn't ask for it--no one does. even if you are a pothead or a drunk you don't deserve to have your property pilfered.

Posted by from the anonymous poster | July 12, 2007 10:04 AM

As someone who owns expensive vintage gear, I am sorry you got jacked.

I bet next time, despite how tired you are, you make that extra trip out to the car.

There's been plenty of times when I did not want to unload equipment late, but I always ask myself: "What's worse making another trip or replacing a 1966 P-Bass?"

Good luck.

Posted by Whatevs | July 12, 2007 10:11 AM

my worst nightmare. yeah, you certainly didn't ask for it, but i always try to go with the attitude of, "never become too distracted to take my shit inside." but honestly, i feel for you man. i couldn't even imagine where i would start if my core equipment was bamboozled.

Posted by rob | July 12, 2007 10:12 AM

I've had several precious to me guitars stolen from me over the years, and it's the worst---to have your gears stolen. I still have dreams that I'm in a club and see some guitar player using my guitar on stage and I freak out. Anyway, to this day I hide and horde my guitars like a paranoid freak, stashing them around my house like a miser. Once long ago on a tour my 77 Les Paul Custom never left my side...ever. It was like Elwood Blues with the handcuffed brief case containing his harmonica.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | July 12, 2007 11:22 AM

If you are reading this, you should contact MusiCares. MusiCares is part of the GRAMMY Foundation.This is exactly what it is here for. They can potentially help you replace your equipment.

You don't have to be a member to access this service.

Here is a link