« Should Peaches kick Avril's as... | Win Tickets to Block Party! »

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Released Today: The Album With Perhaps the Dumbest Name Ever

posted by on July 10 at 15:18 PM

gagagagaga.jpg

Spoon’s Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is in stores now.

Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. That’s the name of the record. Seriously. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga.

I’ve always been pretty ambivalent about Spoon, but while the new record played overhead at a coffee shop, a friend of mine, a die hard Spoon fan (hi Matt!), described the video and explained how singer Britt Daniel found the horn section heard on the record at a Mexican restaurant in his hometown of Austin, TX. He apparently had to get an interpreter to ask them to play for him. That’s a pretty cute story. didn’t find the horn section heard on the record at a Mexican restaurant in his hometown of Austin, TX and my friend Matt got him confused with Jack White of the White Stripes.

Sheesh, Matt. You’re fired.

Here’s the first single off Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga called “The Underdog,” anyway. I like the song quite a bit, despite the record title making me feel like I’m gagging every time I say it.

Also, does anyone else hear a little early-era Billy Joel in the chorus?

Mmm...is picking up Mexican musicians at restaurants for your album the new thing? Jack White supposedly asked a Mexican trumpeter to play on Icky Thump that he saw at a restaurant, and had to communicate via interpreter. What the fuck is going on? Is this like cheap studio labor or something?

Posted by Speedy Gonzales | July 10, 2007 3:39 PM

I think the title is indicative of Britt's sexual fantasies: http://www.abdl-montreal.com/Abdl.aspx

Posted by Ari Spool | July 10, 2007 3:51 PM

Oh fuck.

Well, okay my bad. I am the die-hard Spoon fan-friend that Megan refers to. I am the one who told her that Britt Daniel used a trumpeter from a Mexican restaurant for "The Underdog."

I mixed Britt Daniel up with Jack White. I am a fucking idiot.

Speedy, you win. Life.

That being said, the video *does* feature a Mexican mariachi horn section, so that must be where the mix-up started. Also, I was dropped on my head a lot as a child. and as a teenager.

Sorry for making you look like a liar, Megan! I'm a liar! I am!

Oh yeah. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga is totally awesome. I think it's more consistently good on a song-to-song basis than Gimme Fiction. Ultimately there's isn't a Spoon album I haven't loved.

Posted by matt garman | July 10, 2007 3:51 PM

I don't think the name is dumb, maybe just irreverent and a sort of dada/surrealist nod.'Icky Thump' is a pretty dumb name for an album, but big deal.

Besides Megan, it's not as bad as naming your band the Whore Moans, no matter how good people say you are.

Posted by christopher hong | July 10, 2007 3:55 PM

I don't know about Billy Joel, but I hear Joe Jackson every time I hear Spoon. Not sayin' that's a bad thing, just sayin'.

Posted by Levislade | July 10, 2007 3:56 PM

You're right, Christopher. It's not a big deal that the album has a dumb/irreverent title. I still like the album. I just hate saying it outloud. Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga. Ugh.

Also, I never said I liked the Whore Moans' name. You're right, it's bad. But I do like their music. Same with Schoolyard Heroes. I've never liked that band name either.

Posted by Megan Seling | July 10, 2007 4:00 PM

Here's a handy trick: When pronouncing the album name, just say, "Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah." It can be like how !!! is "chik chik chik" or something.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Posted by Eric Grandy | July 10, 2007 4:03 PM

savvy bloggers are referring to the album as Ga5.

Posted by jz | July 10, 2007 4:11 PM

Savvy bloggers can eat me.* I like Eric's version way way way way way better.

*perhaps I need a t-shirt that says this?

Posted by Levislade | July 10, 2007 4:14 PM

"savvy" and "bloggers" are one and the same, no? no?

i was actually making that up, levislade. but i do go for your t-shirt design.

Posted by jz | July 10, 2007 4:31 PM

what's the matter with the car im driving
dont you know that its out of style?
should i get a set of white wall tires
are ya gonna cruise the miracle mile?

really its only the strummy bridge that sounds like"its still rock n roll to me." but thats all i need to like this song.

Posted by jz | July 10, 2007 4:34 PM

Damn, you totally had me! An all too believable abbreviation in this day and age . . .

I'll get crackin' on the t-shirts.

Posted by Levislade | July 10, 2007 4:41 PM

SPOON
Sat July 28
Capitol Hill Block Party
All Ages :: $15
www.capitolhillbockparty.com

Posted by Block Party! | July 10, 2007 4:46 PM

Doesn't Britt Daniel live in Portland nowadays? Even if he did find a mariachi band in his hometown, it wouldn't be Austin.

Posted by Scottie | July 10, 2007 4:51 PM

Hi Scottie!

Britt Daniel does live in Portland, but Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga was recorded in Austin.

Posted by matt garman | July 10, 2007 5:19 PM

To Levi @9: if you print that shirt, I will wear it. With pride!

Also, "The Underdog" is so Billy Joel! I was trying to figure out why the song bugged me, and you all have nailed it.

Not that I don't like me a little "Glass Houses" from time to time...

Posted by imaginary dana | July 10, 2007 5:26 PM

Stupid names, how about this?

Wizard rockers "Harry and the Potters" will perform from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday, July 13 at the Central Library in a free "Potterpalooza" concert.

Should the Wiggles kick Harry and the Potters' collective asses?

Posted by vegetable lasagna | July 10, 2007 7:36 PM

Doesn't everybody live in Portland nowadays?

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | July 10, 2007 11:01 PM

"advance cassette" is one of the best fucking songs ever..I'll be listening to some spoon at work t'row, thanks for the reminder

Posted by spoonme | July 10, 2007 11:56 PM

-- Was the video shot in what seems to be only one take/pass? Amazing, if that is indeed the case... just sayin'.

Posted by Aaro)))n Edge | July 11, 2007 11:10 AM

i gave the album a listen and the vocals started to remind me of beach boys melodies...

Posted by infrequent | July 11, 2007 11:11 AM

Posted by Aaro)))n Edge | July 11, 2007 11:12 AM

Dang, what a boring video for such an amazing song.

Posted by Brooke | July 11, 2007 3:03 PM

that Spoon album title ain't shit. if you are really into beguilling repitition, look no further than my boys in Spank Rock: YoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYoYo...

oh God... it never stops technically. it's like the Pi of album titles. except for the fact that I don't want to beat myself over the head with a text book whenever I hear about it.

Posted by Chris Tarst | July 12, 2007 5:58 PM