« Yacht - "Women of the World" | Get Into the Daft Punk Afterpa... »

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Summer of My Discontent Mixtape

posted by on July 25 at 11:32 AM

sleestak66pic400.jpg
Over the last few days I’ve realized a trend in my summer listening. Rather than the expected light, poppy fare, I’ve gravitated toward the heavy, epic, and melancholy. Sure, everything I’m listening to kicks mucho ass and adds a certain gravitas to mundane activity (nothing like an eardrum rattling climax to make you feel like a walk down the hill is going to change your life), but damn, it’s got me paranoid that I’m overdeveloping my inner sad bastard. Here are the bands in constant rotation:

Explosions in the Sky
Jesu
Mono
Junius
Caspian

And an order I made earlier this week included (sure to continue this trend a little longer):
More Jesu
Pelican
Isis
southpacific

To give you a better sense of what I’m talking about, here’s a mixtape featuring a track from each of the above bands (standard RIAA disclaimer - each was procured from the web, not P2P). I recommend it for late nights, not sunny days. If you do opt to listen to this during your normal activities, be prepared for everything to take on a heightened sense of melodrama.

Image from flickr user sleestak66.

— A great mix of bands in yer constant rotation! You and I are listening to the same stuff currently... might I suggest a bit of the following too: Steve Von Till, Nick Drake, Tom Brosseau, Neutral Milk Hotel, Amy Blaschke, Calla, Earth, Lungfish, Sunn and Seu Jorge.

Posted by Aaro)))n Edge | July 25, 2007 12:07 PM

Nice suggestions, Mr. Edge. Do Make Say Think is a good addition to all of this as well.

On the local tip, I would recommend Joy Wants Eternity and Beast, Please Be Still. I wouldn't recommend my band The Luna Moth, but only due to the conflict of interest. So forget I said that.

Posted by Levislade | July 25, 2007 1:10 PM

Weird that you'd post that pic and mention slow, meloncholy fare... I don't know the bands you listed, but as soon as I saw it I thought of Codeine. Check out their LP The White Birch if you can, based the the adjectives you jsut used, it may be up your alley.

Posted by Dougsf | July 25, 2007 1:28 PM

Oh wait, I do know Pelican, you may be nto heavier stuff than I realized. Pelican is alright but kinda boring, The Fucking Champs do it better, and Butterglove did it better than all of'em ('cept Breadwinner, but we ain't really talkin' mathy, I dun' think?). Says me, anyhow.

Posted by Dougsf | July 25, 2007 1:32 PM

I love doing posts like this. Looks like I'll be firing up BitTorrent tonight. Thanks for the recommendations everyone, and keep 'em coming.

Posted by donte | July 25, 2007 2:03 PM

Coincidentally, they're playing Joy Wants Eternity on www.hollowearthradio.com right now (live performance, interview, etc., so it'll be on for a little while).

Posted by Levislade | July 25, 2007 2:33 PM

Red Sparowes!

Posted by laterite | July 25, 2007 3:23 PM

I've been listening to a lot of Jesu as well, especially when I'm skating to and from work or just around town in general.

Also, I've been listening to Autolux's album a lot. Different genre, but still not something I'd associate with summertime.

Posted by bunnypuncher | July 26, 2007 1:24 AM

Donte, keep in mind that those who are reading this south of the equator are in their darkest days right now. Promote Your Despair In Oceania Yo! Now is the time!

Posted by matthew fisher wilder | July 26, 2007 2:25 AM