« Freezepop at Club Pop! Tonight | Tonight in Music »

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Decemberists Come to Seattle With the Most Elaborate Ticketing System Ever

posted by on August 23 at 11:04 AM

So the Decemberists will be at the Moore two nights on 12/8 and 12/9. Their tour is very conceptual—in every city they play at least two shows, one of which focuses on their “epic, progressive compositions,” and one of them will “highlight their more succinct, pop-leaning material.” It’s called “The Long and Short of It Tour.”

But look what you have to do to buy pre-sale:

A limited number of custom pre-sale tickets created by Decemberists illustrator Carson Ellis will be available to the public on a first-come, first-served basis beginning this Saturday, August 25th, at Noon EST at http://www.decemberists.tickets.musictoday.com. For the pre-sale, fans must purchase both a “long” and a “short” night ticket, but they’ll receive a $10 discount. In markets with an odd number of dates, tickets for the final date will be sold separately. Fans who purchase pre-sale tickets will receive a free poster with their order. General ticket on-sale begins September 7.

They have designer tickets. You have to go to both shows, unless you live in a city where you don’t. You have to love the Decemberists like you love, I don’t know, food? I know people love this band, but this is a little ridiculous.

Sigh. I bet the pre-sale will sell out.

I don't love this band...I hate them. Except the drummer John, who I went to High School with and is awesome and I'm sure is making a swell living with them. Good for him.

Posted by Sally Struthers Lawnchair | August 23, 2007 11:14 AM

I guess it's good to have a healthy perception of people's estimation of you, but this is kinda yicky. I just can't imagine thinking my music warrants 2 concerts per city, each one focusing on a different facet of my musical genius, and then suckering my fans into buying tickets for both shows. But hey, they're the Decemberists and I'm not, so I guess they can do whatever they want.

I like the idea of custom tickets, though. Tickets are boring, and if you're going to be paying through the nose you might as well have a keepsake of sorts that doesn't look like every other ticket.

Posted by Levislade | August 23, 2007 11:16 AM

Sounds a little like the ticketing system Phish used have. Custom tickets by an artist, pre-sale directly from the band, multiple shows in one city.
Yes, your favorite NW indie rock band reminds me of Phish.

Posted by brad | August 23, 2007 11:41 AM

I was really thrilled to see this announcement on Pitchfork today (but somehow missed the Seattle dates on the tour), mostly because all I like the "short of it" stuff so much better than the "long" old timey melodramatics.

Posted by josh | August 23, 2007 12:53 PM

i think this is a clever idea regardless of whether or not people like the music. If you don't like the idea of having two different shows, then don't go (to either). but hey, at least they're doing something original for their fans.

Posted by rob | August 23, 2007 1:01 PM

There ARE people who are going to be at both shows (considering that they're going to play different songs at each one), so why not offer those fans a $10 discount AND a FREE POSTER?! This is a deal and a half any way you look at it.

Posted by E | August 23, 2007 1:31 PM

This is, of course, a band doing all they can to hide how they're out of ideas.

Classic misdirection.

Posted by Fawkes | August 23, 2007 4:04 PM

@7 ugh, isn't this an idea?

Posted by rob | August 23, 2007 6:38 PM

It's a gimmick, not an idea, and a nakedly indulgent one at that, playing with setlists instead of the music itself, like changing the brand of a deck of cards instead of the game.

Posted by Fawkes | August 24, 2007 12:11 AM

I can't stand this band but I like the idea. If one of my favourite bands was playing in town 2 nights and a row, with guarateed different set lists each night, I'd be stoked.

Posted by bunnypuncher | August 24, 2007 2:29 AM

If I can afford tickets to both nights, I'll be going. Where's the fun in playing multiple nights in a row in a city but doing the same setlist each night? This is a great idea. Cry about it, assholes!

Posted by Nick | August 24, 2007 9:50 AM