« Compress This | Let Them Sing it For You »

Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Re: Speaking of Tom Gabel

posted by on August 14 at 13:28 PM

So, Tom Gable, lapsed anarchist frontman of major label “punk” rockers Against Me! sees some defaced article about his band, tears it down (‘cause there’s nothing punks hate more than free speech and graffiti), and proceeds to rough up a kid who dares challenge his behavior? What a fucking douchebag. I’ll always cherish the couple of awesome Against Me! shows I was a part of, but this shit just makes me glad I gave up on them around …As The Eternal Cowboy. Reinventing Axl Rose indeed!

I seem to remember a bunch of flyers posted up around Capitol Hill a couple months back, protesting the actions of some local media person or another, and in between the early morning they were posted and mid-afternoon, someone had torn them all down. Now, who would do a thing like that? And who blacked out that graffiti on the sidewalk?

Posted by Joshua H | August 14, 2007 3:26 PM

I'm too lazy of a lapsed anarchist to black out graffiti or tear down posters. But I happen know friends of mine were angry enough at the cowardly anonymous smear campaign that they tore some posters down. I don't know who blacked out the grafiti. Adjacent business owners, maybe? The city's anti-graffiti task force?

More importantly, your analogy is ass-backwards. The issue isn't that Gabel's trying to censor someone (he's not, that was just a parenthetical aside), it's that when he got embarrassed about something someone said about him so he lashed out childishly and picked a fight instead of talking it out or dealing with it like an adult. That makes him the anonymous posterers in this scenario, not the Grandy. Better luck next time, Josh.

Posted by Eric Grandy | August 14, 2007 4:30 PM

Oh sure, it's not a good analogy by any means... but a bit too deliciously ironic to pass up. Sorry.

I don't know that I'd agree with your characterization of the maturity of the posterers, but I can understand why you might not be charitable towards them. So, instead, I'll just mention an incident a number of years back in some college town on the east coast when a music columnist (no relation at all to the Stranger, or Seattle at all, as far as I know) for the local paper decided to write - in the daily paper! - that this person he was seeing - I don''t know if he named her, but he still basically identified her to everyone - gave him some STD or another. (Again, not analogous, but bear with me.) The next day, all around town, posters showed up featuring the columnist's face, big as can be, featuring a... well... let's just say that the illustration was the literal definition of "dickhead". Was that mature or a nice chat over coffee to resolve things? No. But it was pretty fuckin' funny. If I had a point with the above, it'd be that sometimes, responsible adult behavior is overrated.

(But, again, not an analogy, and no one's head got slammed into a counter. Yeah, that's definitely not good.)

Posted by Joshua H | August 14, 2007 5:34 PM

Easy ladies! There's cheap housing disappearing, pop stars rehabbing, wars warring... this pissant little squabble about some stupid shit local irrelevant (see comments on this post for how much it matters) music scene is such a wast of time. The local music scene is NOT irrelevant of course, that is until it takes itself too seriously and sparks dumbshit feuds no one cares about but are thrown into the public dialog as though they matter. You're doing a disservice to those you both think you're defending.

Posted by SOOOOOOOOOOOOOCOOL! | August 15, 2007 9:33 AM

um, "ladies"?

so to disparage these people's little demi-squabble, you call them "ladies"?

fuck you.

Posted by erin | August 15, 2007 12:23 PM

um, "ladies"?

so to disparage these people's little demi-squabble, you call them "ladies"?

i earased the swear i had here before, but get it together, person.

Posted by erin | August 15, 2007 12:24 PM

oh, didn't actually erase it before it posted.

Posted by erin | August 15, 2007 12:25 PM