« Bittersweet EndFest 16 | Also Tonight »

Monday, September 24, 2007

If I Could See All My Friends Tonight

posted by on September 24 at 10:10 AM

It would be at this awesome show:

lcdsoundsss.jpg

Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, Gossip

Arcade Fire, LCD Soundsystem, and Gossip all put on spectacular live shows with overwrought theatrics, muscular disco grooves, and a punk-blues explosion, respectively. James Murphy and Beth Ditto are especially powerful, the former leading his band like a post-punk James Brown and the latter belting out songs with overwhelming soul. This should be one of the best shows of the fall. (Bank of America Arena, 3870 Montlake Blvd NE, www.ticketmaster.com. 7:30 pm, $39.50, all ages.) ERIC GRANDY

Worst show I've ever seen. The acoustics in HEC Ed are awful - reverb and interference all over the place. For bands with that much sound, this was the worst possible venue. Painful.

Posted by GL | September 25, 2007 8:56 AM

reviews?

Posted by rob | September 25, 2007 9:13 AM

I thought the sound was okay. I didn't expect much, being that it was in an arena, but it was surprisingly decent. We were near the center on the floor, about 1/2 of the way back though, so I'm not sure how it was in the seats or off to the sides.

The Gossip is super awesome, not much more to say. Beth Ditto rocked some pretty sweet pink leggings.

LCD Soundsystem was fun though the vocals got pretty muddy for at least half of the songs, and there were a few synth notes that seemed to resonate just right (or wrong) in the arena and sounded painfully bad. I enjoyed the set (my first time seeing them) but I probably wouldn't go to a show again just for them. Also, the "strobe light" effect during a few songs was nearly migraine-inducing.

The Arcade Fire set was tons of fun, but a lot of the instrumentation got smeared together for some of the "bigger" songs. The crowd was really into it, the lighting/stage setup was cool, and the band put tons of effort into the show, as they are known to do. :)

So yeah, there were definitely some (expected) sound quality issues, but I didn't think it ruined the experience. What did nearly ruin the experience was the fact that we were surrounded by a mass of obnoxious UW kids with poor hygiene and bad gas. It seemed to be a common complaint amongst the other people on our bus ride home as well.

I'm a big fan of two of the three acts, and was happy to get a chance to check out the other (LCD). I'd give the show a 7.5/10. I hope the Arcade Fire play at the Paramount next time they're in town though -- no more of this basketball arena bullshit.

Posted by Clifton | September 25, 2007 10:37 AM

What time did the Gossip go on? I should up at 7:30, like my ticket said to, and I only caught the final 1/3rd of "SITWOC," their final song. Huh?

Posted by frederick r | September 25, 2007 10:57 AM

should >> showed

Posted by fredirick r | September 25, 2007 10:58 AM

From the middle of the floor the sound wasn't TOO bad since we were getting the speakers directly with the echo behind us. Must have been terrible from the sides though.
LCD was my personal fave, just because I like their rock/funk/electro mix a bit more than AF's (or anyone's ) "wall of sound", although set-wise LCD sagged a bit in the middle while AF'd set was perfectly modulated.
More importantly: what is UP with all the smelly people at shows recently!?! Bumbershoot is kind of a given for some smelly hippies, but even at Richard Thompson I nearly passed out. As Cartman would say: "It smells like ass in hyar"!

Posted by major tom | September 25, 2007 12:32 PM