« Government Warning: ’80s Hardc... | Essential Disco Mix »

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Move Over, Tired Clichés

posted by on September 19 at 10:58 AM

I’m not sure which part of this Metro Times article deserves more attention—the Detroit-focused look at the Motor City boys behind Seattle’s Decibel Festival, or the excruciating premise that the writer uses before getting to the real story.

At Pike Place market, sleazy vendors peddle Nirvana T-shirts just like they would Statue of Liberty snow globes in New York. In a Seattle bar, Mudhoney, Soundgarden or Pearl Jam will come on the jukebox in one drink’s time. In that bar’s bathroom, expect a Sub Pop sticker emblazoned on the stall door. Because of grunge, Seattle went a decade without a major music movement.

I’m a relatively fresh transplant to Seattle, but even I can smell the burnt wafers in this dude’s logic (though I’d like to know if someone is peddling Tad merch at Pike Place). After that open, though, the rest of the piece is interesting enough, especially since people still feel compelled to compare Decibel to Detroit’s Movement Festival…and especially since this line about the meeting of Decibel’s Sean Horton and Jerry Abstract cracks me up:

“I remember him bringing down a six-pack of Pabst. It was one of those rare male bonding moments that only the combination of beer and techno can really facilitate.”

I've made the Decibel/DEMF comparison myself, and part of what makes that valid is that there are only so many events of this kind in North America, so there aren't many points of reference. It's not an entirely fair ocmparison, but it works depending on the point being made.

Thanks for pointing out that article, tired opening cliché aside. Seattle is still very much seen through a grunge and coffee colored lens.

Posted by donte | September 19, 2007 11:24 AM

Metro Times is such a boring weekly.
Too bad The Orbit folded....

Posted by KELLY O | September 19, 2007 11:28 AM

I don't know that I've ever heard Soundgarden or Pearl Jam at any bar I've been to in Seattle. Maybe it's just the bars I frequent and this guy has been to some magical grunge-themed bar that I'm unaware of.

And "a decade without major musical movement!?" Assclown's not even paying attention.

Posted by T | September 19, 2007 3:18 PM

Yet another lamestain proves he's in the tom-tom club.

Posted by K Wil | September 19, 2007 4:41 PM

The Metro Times writer somehow left out the junkies nodding off on the streets in their flannel shirts.

Posted by cliché hoarder | September 19, 2007 7:59 PM

I think I want to go to T's magical grunge bar. All the guys will be wearing cutoff cargo pants over long johns, with bandanna-hat combos up top. You won't be admitted without a combination of necklaces and bracelets adding up to 20. Interesting goatees mandatory. The music will sound a little like Black Sabbath covering Boston, but you have to pay a price for your nostalgia.

Posted by Eric F | September 20, 2007 12:20 AM

Damn Eric, you keep hitting that one.

Posted by Paulus | September 20, 2007 1:55 AM

What a weird little confluence this is for me. Every week I read both The Metro Times (because I live here) and The Stranger (because it's so much more fun). I'm sure I'm not alone in that, but I've been wishing the MT would be more like The Stranger for years.

Posted by Dorion in Detroit | September 20, 2007 7:37 AM